ZUMBA!

Options
I LOVE Zumba! I have been going to Zumba classes 3 times a week for about three months. It is a great workout and the hour goes by so quickly! I don't even know I'm working out! Something I have noticed, though, is that my right foot has started hurting. It isn't a sharp pain... but rather a dull nagging ache during and after Zumba. I know there is a lot of twisting and jumping involved... but I don't know what exactly caused it or what I should do to help it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you are probably overworking muscles that are not as strong. I would take a break for a few days and apply ice to reduce inflammation and swelling. (which you may or not be able to detect...and applying ice is almost never a bad thing if done correctly)
  • orchid100
    orchid100 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump!!! interested in reply to this as I suffer the same problem from time to time .... :):)
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do zumba alot too... i got a heel spur not long ago... very OUCHIE... but went to the doc and he just gave me meds, it went away quite nicely... now i just try not to "Stomp"... lol .... =]

My advice is... try using an ankle brace (material one) do-dad if its the "joint" which is hurting and if the aching pain is coming from your heel go and see your doc...

Keep in mind i am NOT a doctor and am just giving my opinion as a fellow Zumba-addict....
  • makeupinmanhatten
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because I am getting ready to start Zumba :)
  • monicaP413
    Options
    If your in a class, ask the instructor. Maybe they can see if you are inadvertently doing something wrong, or moving wrong. A lot of times we can't tell, but others can.
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    I'm a big Zumba fan too! What a fun workout!

My suggestion is to take a look at your shoes. My husband took a few classes with me and noted that I really needed to buy a new pair of shoes. He said most sporting shoes have quite a nice heal on the - making the heal an inch or more off the floor. This apparently makes the foot work harder - provided the types of moves that we do in zumba. It also increases injuries.

Since I wasn't sure that i would stick with Zumba, I ended up getting a pair of Bosu shoes (with low, tight padding) from Target. They are not the most comfortable shoes i own, but I do notice, they slide when i need them to, and grip when i need them to.
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try the Vibram Five Fingers out. Its a really basic show and it may help. I agree with others and say take a break or try a new show. Its surprising the impact a shoe can have. The Vibram may turn people off in the looks department but for exercise they are great and let your foot have a full range of motion. And if you have insurance then hit the doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore my Vibram Five Fingers, but I would never suggest wearing them for Zumba. The soles are made to grip, which is great for running, but for any sort of twisting movement that same grip would translate to putting unsafe torque on your ankle, knee, and hip as the shoe grips the floor while your leg tries to pivot.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You need smooth bottom shoes that slide, not running shoes.