yoga?

Options
I am kinda of scared to try yoga, i dont know why maybe cause of all the position and that may gym has the class in the middle of gym where everyone can see you and ur butt :) but what do you guys think of yoga is it better than working out on the machine?? I might try the class tonight but idk! Im stuck!

Replies

• RunWithJess
    RunWithJess Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily care for yoga classes - but I love my Biggest Loser Weight-Loss Yoga DVD with Bob Harper. It's a great workout, and wonderful for those new to yoga because Bob explains things really well, and the moves are pretty basic.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    you definitely don't burn as many calories as working out on a machine, but it is fun
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I personally get bored with yoga. If you've never done it though, it's worth a try! Some people LOVE it! Good luck! And have fun!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I love love yoga! Depending on what we are doing for that particular class I can burn 250 cal in 60 min. Sometimes less. I think the stretching of my body has saved me from a ton of pain from my regular workouts! :flowerforyou:
  • monicaP413
    Options
    Yoga is awesome! I have a video, never been to a class. Some of the positions you hold are tough and burn calories, but if you are looking for cardio, yoga is not the #1 thing to do. Yoga is so good for you, for your strength, breathing and overall health. I would definitely do it, but not as your full cardio workout! Although I do have a friend who is a yoga instructor who is in awesome shape, but she is an instructor. Hope that helps.
  • MernaDea
    Options
    With physical health issues I had to give up the treadmill last fall and LOVE a hard sweaty workout, so I was devastated. I started to explore and research Hot Yoga, which is Bikram yoga and it burns almost 1000 in 90 minutes.

Sooo, you have to choose the right Yoga to gain strength benefits. Hatha Flow is simply stretching and some strength training. Vinyasa is strength and a lot harder than it looks. I found two 'calorie burning' calculators online that gauge all the different types of Yoga and your body weight , time , etc. The "Hot" part is simply a benefit for me even though I have heard it burns additional calories, I just don't add them to my daily exercise. I have the best toned arms I have EVER had, so I love this. Plus my muscles have stayed very strong. (Its alot harder than it looks) Plus, I do it 5 days a week. I never eat all my exercise calories back, but part of them and working on the healthy weight loss. I am working on shedding the extra body fat! YUK!

Hatha Flow at my weight burns 212 for 56 minutes

Vinyasa burns during the same time, my weight = 668.. I still find this challenging and it calms my mind by slowing me down mentally and concentrating on a healthy body.

I am not strong enough nor have a Bikram DVD yet, so I use free online videos.

I can't post links, but if you add me as a friend maybe I could share these calculators for checking your Yoga.

I looove it! Just my Three Cents!

Merna