STEEL CUT OATS Breakfast

Options
I was never an oatmeal kid growing up. Recently a friend got me hooked on steel cut oats and I'll never eat regular oatmeal again! This is my breakfast recipe which is really easy to make!
In a slow cooker first spray or wipe with olive oil.
Add 2 parts water with 1 part steel cut oats and a dash of cinnamon.
Turn cooker on low and let set over nite.
When water has been absorbed, bout 7-8 hours. serve.
I like to add honey, banana, natural peanut butter, and 1 scoop of my Chocolate Whey Protein.

Replies

• maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that recipe! I love my slow cooker, and that sounds delightful!
  • KMill84
    Options
    Let me know how you like it. The texture is way different than regular oatmeal. There's also tons of different options to add with it. I had to get my steel cut oats from a health food store. Hard to find in local small town grocery stores.
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    KMill.......Had steel cut oats & they are quite diffe3rent & good. Do you put all those ingredients in at once, or use differtent ones each day..........Mike
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    This is great! Do you ever make a "big" batch and then re-heat during the week?? Or does it not hold well?
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really like the Steel Cut Oats as well. I make mine in the crockpot overnight...mine calls for 1C of Oats to 4 Cups of water. Cook overnight and then serve. I portion mine out into single servings and freeze for easy grab in the morning breakfasts.
  • KMill84
    Options
    FishnDad,
    I do add all those ingredients at once. Those have been my staples for many years now. It started as a pregame meal or quick snack on the go. I LOVE peanut butter, even tho it isn't exactly the healthiest food. I try to eat a spoonful of honey a day as well. Helps with sore throat and its a good natural source of sugar. And the banana, not a high source of potassium like commonly thought, goes great with tons of other foods, unlike other fruits.
  • KMill84
    Options
    Kick,
    I do make a big batch at times, but my leftovers never last more than a day. I make it that good! hehe....