Craving salt at night...

Options
Hi all:

I got into some not so good habits over the holidays and I am having trouble breaking one.

My husband and I settle down after the busy day and evening and watch a pre-taped show around 9-10. We started eating while watching TV, salty things like popcorn or chips (a big weakness of mine) and now even though I want to not eat, I find I'm craving salt. I know that this is probably due to our excess eating of salty things for the last month or so but I need some ideas on how to get over the first few weeks to break the habit.

I've tried the "just don't do it" and I seem to be failing. Does anyone have any other tips?

Sherielf

Replies

• sherielf
    Options
    Hi all:

I got into some not so good habits over the holidays and I am having trouble breaking one.

My husband and I settle down after the busy day and evening and watch a pre-taped show around 9-10. We started eating while watching TV, salty things like popcorn or chips (a big weakness of mine) and now even though I want to not eat, I find I'm craving salt. I know that this is probably due to our excess eating of salty things for the last month or so but I need some ideas on how to get over the first few weeks to break the habit.

I've tried the "just don't do it" and I seem to be failing. Does anyone have any other tips?

Sherielf
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Ever try just eating sea salt? I know it sounds gross, but I've eaten a few flakes of sea salt.

I know I'm going to catch flak for this one...:happy:
  • suevittorioso
    Options
    i ate so much salty stuff over the holidays that i actually got swollen fingers(sign of water retention).i started to drink more water and it has helped a lot and the cravings have subsided.i needed to flush out all that stupid salt.and it's weird because i was always more of a "sweets" person. that's all i need-dual addictions!!!!
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Same here.....I wished I knew how to control those salty cravings as well. :ohwell:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    First of all the best salt is sea salt ---- second do you sweat a lot during the day or (obviuosly) at workouts? This could be a reason...and you are not a diabetic right?
    I recently had a Big fear of being diabetic for a couple of reason this being one of them....so I went to the Dr. just to make sure....

dd
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You should find low sodium crackers/chips.
    Drink lots of water! It'll fill you up so won't eat as much.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sherielf
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions and support.

I have been salt free after supper for two nights now and working on three - one day at a time.

Thanks again for all your help - you really are all "my fitness pals"!

Sherielf:blushing:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't want to eat too much salt but did you know that craving saltier foods is your bodies way of letting you know your metabolism is working.
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    I have discovered that Act II Kettle Corn popcorn has very little calories. Blows my mind but a whole bag is only about 90 calories. I have reread the label over and over again and even got someone else to read it to make sure I wasn't just being an idiot! :laugh: :laugh: It's true!

I know that all of the salt is not good because you retain water easier, but when you just need a salt fix this might help!
  • kmia13
    kmia13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I like the sea salted nuts... yummy!!! And I love salt... they do the trick!!
  • cmserati
    Options
    I didn't even know they made sea salted nuts! That's a fabulous way to get that salt craving without feeling too bad about it, plus you have the protein!
  • sherielf
    Options
    I had to come back on this thread to say I tried the eating a few kosher salt flakes last night when I felt the "salt" craving come and....it went away!!!!

Wahoo! Now if I can just get my DH to stop eating late at night which just puts stuff in front of me and he knows its not good for him....

Thanks again for all the suugestions!
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    I get salty cravings in the evening really badly!!!! I have found that eating raw veggies with sea salt helps. I just chop up some red peppers, radishes, cucumber or whatever and sprinkle on the salt before each bite. I eat as much of this as I want every night. I don't worry about my sodium intake since I seem to always have equal water retention from it (when weighing in) and I drink tons of water. I've lost over 20 lbs. so far so it can't be a bad thing to do (for me anyway). Good Luck!!:happy:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree that some salt isn't bad particularly if you drink the water necessary to flush it out of your system. I eat the single serving bags of the Act II kettle Corn as well or I will have some salted almonds.