Stress Relief

Options
Hey everyone. I am having a really hard time in my life right now and food is where I want to turn. What are some good tools for stress relief? Also, good stress relieving food? I am open to suggestions please!

Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Long hot soaks in the tub with candles and a good magazine or book. Don't forget the music and bubbles (or oils)!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    At this moment I can choose to eat
    a) 4 cookies for 240 calories
    b) an odwalla bar for 210 calories
    c) a sandwich overflowing with goodies inside for 190 calories

I chose the sandwich because it took time to make (giving me time to really think "am I hungry, am I thirsty, or am I just P-O'd about life right now..." and decided that I was very P-O'd, a little thirsty, and a little hungry. By the time I made the sandwich I had drank 8oz of water. By the time I finished eating the sandwich I am not thinking about food in the least. I'm still kinda mad, I'm still kinda thirsty, but this is the healthiest choice I could make... and I made it, and that makes me feel good.

Try to take time to bake a cassarole, fry an egg, anything that takes 10-20 mins or longer. Give yourself time to think and judge what you are really feeling. Drink a bunch of water.

Basic stress relief involves introspection (meditation), yoga, certain scents (lavender is one, I think), a warm bath, a massage (you can give yourself a massage, too!)

Good luck! I hope you feel awesome soon <3
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The first place I go for stress relief is exercise. I seriously would not be sane right now without it! I also think dark chocolate is great for stress relief, the darker, the more bitter, the better. It may not taste as good as milk chocolate at first, but--like black coffee and wine--it's an acquired taste. :)
  • tater8589
    Options
    Bath is a good idea (i take one every night to winde down before bed and let go of the day)
    Smelling lavender, chamomile and (i think) pepermint can help
    working out will help
    go get a massage, I get one once a month to help keep stress under control
    pedi and facial will also help
    hmm... Oh, small amounts of dark chocolate could help you feel better
    A (and I repeat A, 1) glass of wine or beverage of your choice can sometimes help you relax, just becareful not to make it a habit
    Oh, and I tend to call my mom, she is my best friend. Sometimes just getting some of it off your chest helps.

Trick is finding what works for you. If you need to talk you can message me, I'm not perfect, but I'll do what I can to help :)
    Good luck and I hope things get better for you.
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    Working out and staying active are both great for stress relief
  • tater8589
    Options
    Sorry for mulitple posts, but I found some foods:
    -Tuna
    -Blueberries
    -Almonds
    -Cottagecheese and friut
    -Milk
    -Beef
    -Asparagus
    -sushi
    -Rice Crispies (fortified cerials)
    -whole grain rice
    -broccoli
    -fish (omega 3 in fish oil helps you feel better, you could just pick up some fishoil pills, but ask the salesman which one cause some of them cause fishy burps)
    -sweet potatos

Nowonder I crave some of these foods :) Hope this helps

oh and for all female readers Coconut and Pineapple (fresh fruit not canned) can help relive PMS, cramps, and migraines. :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    google deep breathing and meditation exercises...as hokey as it sounds it works...i do reiki on myself (yes I'm attuned)...and trust me it helps to calm everything...the best part is you can do these things the minute you notice your blood pressure rising....just like yoga, meditation is essential in balancing your chi...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to cry lol i know i'm a weeney, and i have no problem with that...but a good hard cry in the shower or into my pillow always makes me feel better
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the obvious!! I also love to cry! It takes only a few minutes, gives me a stuffy nose, but relieves almost all my stress. Or I'll walk out near the road and scream. RAWRRRR

RAAWWRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
  • es5864
    es5864 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I cried a bunch yesterday and that helped. Unfortunatly my stiches are in my nether regions and I cannot take baths, plus I get yeast infections. :ohwell: So that's no fun! But I have started doing yoga and that does help some. Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! :flowerforyou: