Does anyone here suffer from any kind of depression or mood

Options
This is a very personal and touchy question to ask, but I wanted to see who was out there that suffers from any kind of depression or manic depression? Even if you don't want to reply to this post, you can ask to be my friend. I just want to be able to know some people that have similar struggles as I do that are trying to juggle everyday life. In any instance, staying on track can be difficult, but when you have some kind of mood disorder, it can be extremely difficult.

It's kind of embarrassing to be posting this publicly, but it's the only way I could find other people that have to deal with mood disorders, too.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with severe depression since I was a toddler. It's getting better lately, mostly due to making better choices with diet and exercise. I don't send friend requests (silly rule, but necessary), but feel free to add me if you like. I try to be supportive to my MFP friends as much as I can. :)
  • Richelleen
    Options
    Hi.. I have never been diagnosed with a mood disorder, but i do suffer depressive bouts...and yes, it is hard at those times to juggle work and kids and everyday life. i find that routine, and few close friends who understand get me through those times.. if you want to chat let me know.. take care, and good luck
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear bout your struggle! I have struggled with depression for many years. I finally got help when my insomnia got to be so bad (0 hours of sleep a night). I had trouble sleeping all of my life so I don't know if I was born with it. For a while I took an antidepressant and did cognitive therapy which did wonders for me (the antidepressant actually made me lose weight). Unfortunately, I took myself off it after a while thinking I was fine, but now I'm finally considering going back into therapy because some days are very low and I just take ambien every night to sleep. It can be difficult to admit it but there is nothing to be embarrassed about! If you don't want to take medication you should at least consider some kind of counseling, because with the right counselor it can really help you.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression throughout most of my adult life. I used to eat not so good stuff when I was really down. Now I write about it, and try to exercise it away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm also on anxiety meds, but only take them when I REALLY need them. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck with your journey!

kim
  • katieg2289
    Options
    I will add you :)

I have suffered from severe depression since the age of ten (am 21 now). It can definitely make healthy choices even tougher, as well as every day life (obviously). I am on a bunch of natural supplements right now and they are REALLY helping a lot. I don't wanna go into detail like I'm an expert or anything, just want to suggest that if you are into natural stuff, seeing a naturopath might be very helpful! Either way, I know what it's like, and am here any time you want to talk! :)
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've known I had depression for a couple years now, but didn't want to admit to it or deal with it until last semester (I'm a psych major and I was afraid that people would think I was just being paranoid). I'm doing great on my anti depressants, and I know that going to the gym has helped me a lot with stabilizing my mood. It's a daily fight, but less of one now!
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hi i have been diagnosed with clinical depression and bi polar disorder. no need to be embarassed about it. it's a chemical imbalance in your brain, you are not nuts or ready for the rubber room. i know that it is hard to want to exercise and stay on a diet because of being depressed, exercise does help me feel better. endorfins rise. it's ok to feel low sometimes. don't beat yourself up about.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    Please don't feel embarrassed. It is alot more common than you would think. And yip, I can put my hand up for manic depression. It runs right thru our family unfortunately and i have certainly had some serious struggles with it myself. personally the only time I felt better was recognising that I am ill and not just going crazy. Took alot for me to admit to those around me that there is something wrong. It sure makes life really hard, and puts huge strains on relationships too. Anyway, I'm rambling now lol feel free to add me if you like
  • SpunkyLoveChild
    Options
    I've dealt with pretty destabilizing bouts of major depression for most of my life, but I was officially diagnosed last year. For years I just thought that I was feeling sorry for myself when the rest of the world was capable of handling the same issues that I let control me. I can completely sympathize with the way anxiety and general mental health makes an already seemingly insurmountable challenge like weight loss and health seem absolutely impossible. You're not crazy, or broken. You can climb out of this. There's nothing like the successful loss of weight to tell you that you are capable of something significant. I've had weight issues for quite some time, and only now, when I'm facing the person that I am, can I feel like I can change.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed, But I have suffered with deppression at times. Mostly due to low self esteem, and when I was having marriage problems. The depression hasn't been so bad since I divorced my wife, but it does flare up at times, usually for really stupid reasons. I am a loner, but you can add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression also since I was very young. Several years ago, I started taking anti-depressants. Since then, I have gained a total of 50 lbs. I have been struggling trying to lose all that weight for over a year now. But when I get depressed, I reach for the fast food, donuts, and candy. I think the anti-depressants are also hindering my weight loss. Recently, I've been thinking about trying light therapy and slowly weaning myself off the anti-depressants. But I've been afraid to do so because if I miss even one day of my "happy" pill, I am a total biotch. Anyone else try light therapy? Does it work?
  • Jodie_Wilson9
    Options
    I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and dysthymia about three years ago. I have found that exercise really helps. I admit, sometimes I find it difficult, particularly when I'm struggling with a bout of depression, to get motivated to do ANYTHING much less workout. But after I work out, I feel pretty good. Yeah, definitely do not be ashamed or embarrassed. It's an illness/condition just like heart disease or cancer. It's real, and it takes a toll on you and those around you. I wish I would have gotten help sooner. Friend me if you'd like. Best wishes and good luck on your weightloss/fitness adventure! ^_^
  • Hi! I can't say that I suffer from any kind of medical mood disorders, but I can say that I commend you for your efforts despite them! Man, I can't imagine. I do know that restricting my food sends me into all kinds of crazy mood swings! I'm new at all of this so, while getting accustomed and informed, I'm pretty sure I've over and under done it in the food department. One day I felt like complete crap and could not figure out why I felt like it was the end of the world. I walked into the kitchen at work, saw some chips and salsa and thought, "I'm to famished to worry whether or not this is a healthy choice" and happily had my hand full of chips and big spoon, of salsa. I INSTANTLY felt like I could conquer the world again!!! I could not believe that one little bowl of chips and salsa made me feel soooo much better. This little episode reminded me of some thing my mom told me when I was growing up, "Listen to your body; it talks to you". Though it was not intentional, I must have been starving myself, my brain included to the point that I feel, tired, emotional, hopeless! Lesson learned: I now know that no matter what fitness magazine, fad diet, is telling me, or what is going on in my life, I need to listen to my body too. I never knew how much of a struggle loosing weight could be and how many aspects of life it could affect. I have a new found respect for those who have struggled with weight their whole lives, and in particular, for those who face other BIG challenges in addition to it! Best of luck with your journey! I know you can do it, ooh, and remember to listen to your body; it talks to you:)
  • DimenaZhena
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression many years ago, but about 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I call it my "dark side", lol. I admit that I love when I am manic because that's when I am the most creative. I paint and the creative vibes flow through me. It's the depression that knocks me down good sometimes, but I've been trying every possible way to balance my moods naturally and medically. It's so comforting to know that I am not alone! You guys really are awesome! :) Thank you!
  • melsaintjohn
    melsaintjohn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others, I didn't want to admit that I was depressed and needed help. I struggled with it for years before I finally went to my doctor. I am doing really well on my antidepressants and wouldn't stop them. I know they're not for everyone, but they do help me. Exercise also helps A LOT. It's like a double boost! Hang in there and know that you are not alone. You can friend me if you'd like. :)
  • jymalfonzo
    Options
    Yes I have depression and anxiety issues. I'm trying to work through them and I find it hard at times to get any real understanding from my family since their answer is always "why do you let it effect you like that?" Ummm if I knew how not let it effect me them I would not be having these problems. I'll be your friend just friend me.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    manic depressive...I control it with my eating issues lol. Not the best, but I'm happier now than I used to be. I shall add you and we can keep each other going!!
  • ausbrah
    Options
    Hi,

I have no problems discussing this information to help you understand what I go through.

I suffer from Depression and now in my later years really bad anxiety. I have been taking medication to treat me since I was 21 and am now 47 yrs old. The medication has been my biggest issue with weight gain and then when I get depressed or anxious I turn to food. It definately has been a battle for me for most of my life.

I have had several suicide attempts in my life, starting from the age of 20. Hospitalized for up to 1 to 4 weeks each time.

I would love to help you if you need to know anything. It is a ongoing struggle and this is why I am on board to lose my weight so I can really, truely love myself again!!!!

Thanks for listening.
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    I"ve suffered from severe depression for many years. I use to cut in high school. THankfully since having children I don't get the urge to cut but I still battle the depression. I also have thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed which screws with your emotions more than anything. *hugs*
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I only started to attempt to control my depression as an adult last year. And as luck would have it, some weight came with the antidepressants that I was placed on. I recently got placed on new medication; I'm still feeling it out. I do think that a healthier diet and a LOT more exercise (than I was doing) contribute to my mood being a lot more levelled out lately.

I had been diagnosed and treated many years ago, but thought it was a silly high school thing I went through. I hit a really bad patch though and I finally owned up and got real about this problem. I will probably always need medication and that sucks, and I suppose I'm somewhat sensitive about it, but I now know better than to assume I can handle it by myself. It's empowering that I am doing what I can to control it and improve my life.

I will send a friend request, and hope I can help in some way sometime if you find you need it.
    *hugs*