I'm not perfect

Options
...and I'm not going to try to be.

I think it finally clicked as to what makes me quit working out, or not even wanting to start/keep going. It's because I feel as though I have to wake up every day, drink a gallon of water, NOT eat this or this or that, do exactly what the video tells me. When I don't do this, or when I have a day when I don't drink that water or I eat a piece of cake, I quit. I give it an all or nothing approach. I put so much emphasis on having that perfect diet and that perfect workout that I get way too flustered and thrown off when something doesn't go exactly as I feel it should (or has to be in order to succeed).

The only way I'm going to have more energy, feel more vibrant, sleep better at nights is if I just TRY. I just have to stick with it. I just have to give it the best I got during that workout. If I have a glass of cranberry juice at night instead of water it's okay. I also need to learn that it will not happen overnight. If I'm not getting the results I want after a week it's because it's ONLY BEEN A WEEK. Jeez, if I would have stuck with something I said I was going to stick with three months ago, I wouldn't be sitting here wondering why I was in the same damn rut.

So, it's been said. I'm not going to try and be perfect. I'm just going to do what I can. That's all I can do.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    *claps* YES! Good for you. That's exactly the attitude you need! :)

Nobody's perfect, and anybody who says they are is lying. But you can learn a little more, day by day, and try to do better as you go along. Every day is a new beginning. Every HOUR can be a fresh start, if you need it to be. This is an ongoing process with a rolling start date. You get to start fresh whenever you want to. :)
  • FWBP
    FWBP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here Here!
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Now you're talking --- That is exactly it! Consistently being mindful is what will help you reach your goals, not being perfect every minute of every day! I know you can do it!
  • SophieKeith92
    SophieKeith92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! I think I need to take on your new way of thinking :)
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    AMEN SISTA! I'll:drinker: to that!
  • happyme2011
    Options
    Wow! That hit home hard. Thanks for explaining exactly what I was feeling inside. That was the push I needed to get back in the gym and exercise. Way to go.
  • anewme58
    Options
    I feel the same way! You're so right - don't try to be perfect, just try.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, it's all about persistence in the same general direction over time. There is just no such thing as perfection! All the best to you :)
  • DimenaZhena
    Options
    Yes, I am very impatient and wish I could have what I want overnight... that's why I gave up so many times on my diet. I am in the same boat as you and completely know how you feel! Keep at it!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    meditation has truly helped me with this. if meditation teaches anything it is "try, try again."

best of luck.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Maybe give some difficult fitness classes a go. You'll be frustrated with yourself for not getting the moves (I know I do) but then if you keep going you'll find you'll get better. For me, Zumba was a good one. I got so lost the first few times! I'm a perfectionist myself and I've really had to stop beating myself up about things if they don't go to plan. For me, learning to drive was crazy. I would beat myself up because I couldn't do a maneuver or I couldn't do this or that. It ended in a lot of tears and eventually I just did it and got my license. Keep chugging along and you'll see results :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I realized that it's OKAY to be hungry right now and have something to eat. Just because I have something to eat tonight (I will go to bed at around midnight) does not mean I am screwing everything up.

I'm not going to try and be like anyone else either. I am going to be me. Baby I was born this way (LOL, sorry, I had to hahaha). I have been trying for the longest time to drink a ton of water each day, not because I wanted to or because I was thirsty, but because others did. A friend of mine drinks the stuff constantly. I'm okay with my 8 glasses, some days more, some days less. She said she is just constantly craving water. I must stop trying to raise my bar based on what everyone else is doing.

I noticed the last time I tried a really hard workout I yelled a particular four letter word just when I was about ready to wimp out and quit. For some reason, it kept me going ;)

I have a workout I'd like to try, so tomorrow I'm going to start it. Thank goodness nobody is around, because there might be a few of those words flying through the air....