Any other recovering addicts on a weight loss journey?

Options
My name is Angela. I am a recovering addict. I became addicted to Morphine back in 1987 after an emergency c-section and I ended up using opiates for 21 years. I also became addicted to benzodiazapines (xanax, valium, klonopin). I went to rehab in 2007. I had 3 years clean February 8th. Recovery has been a long journey. However, I wouldn't change a thing about my past because even the bad times were stepping stones to the person I am today.

Now that I have my drug addiction under control it is time to get my food addiction under control. I would love to have the support of others who are in recovery and dieting too. It is really hard applying the same steps I used to stop using prescription drugs to food. I can live without the drugs. I can't live without food. I am doing good right now, but it is a daily struggle.

Thanks guys,

Angela

Replies

• brookums71
    brookums71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Hi Angela, I'm also Angela. If you read my profile, my story is there :)
    I'm here for you. You CAN conquer this food addiction ... I have, and you can too.
  • DimenaZhena
    Options
    My father was an alcoholic. He was for a good 35 years of his life. He's been sober for a year now, but struggled with his weight loss. When your body doesn't intake any alcohol, it starts to crave sugar because alcohol usually converts your blood to sugar. My Dad would crave anything with sugar and in turn gained even more weight.

I must say that I'm proud of him now because he's lost most of his weight and has stayed dry. With the help from my mom and his doctors.

You can do this, hun. It's not an easy road, but it can be accomplished. As far as your diet goes, don't be upset over little slip-ups here and there... no one is perfect! And just know that you can email me anytime when you feel things are getting tough!! :)

I am proud of you for kicking the addiction and turning yourself around to make a healthy lifestyle for yourself! Good job!!