Can you really eat all the veggies you want?

Options
I have heard JM and other trainers say "eat all the veggies you want". BUT when I log my yummy sweet mash potatoes it adds calories. So if I go over in my cals and had veggies, is that ok?

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    potatoes aren't really a vegetable, they are a root i think...all potatoes are a moderation thing!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Hmm. I don't count potatoes as my veggies.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ladies- Potatoes are a different animal. But if that is you in your pic. Do what ever you want - You look amazing. lol I personally count everything- even veggies.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    potato's are a veggie but not the veggies most nutritionist refer to as the one's you should eat limitlessly. Green beans, brocolli, spinach and the like are the ones they are talking about. I eat potatos just smaller portion.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Isn't sweet potato a superfood? Will that count for something? lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good for you if you eat the skin, but they're not as good as other veggies. And with mashed, you're probably putting butter and salt and other things in them that take away from the veggie goodness.

Anyway, yes, you can eat all the veggies you want, but that doesn't mean you can eat just ONE kind of veggie all day long. You need a variety to get the nutrients you need.
  • Dreamerlove
    Options
    I agree with the ladies- Potatoes are a different animal. But if that is you in your pic. Do what ever you want - You look amazing. lol I personally count everything- even veggies.

AWE!! Well it is me...BUT in 2007 when I was 30 pounds lighter, lol. Thats my inspiration pic :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie...if it comes from a sweet potato that's better than it coming from a cheeseburger I guess but if it has calories, you need to log it accurately and try to stay within the guidelines of the system.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't personally track my veggies, ....all goes back to my days of doing WW and they never counted veggies in your daily totals so I figure if they can do it that way then so can I. :)
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    the "free" vegetables don't usually include potatoes, corn, or anything starchy.
  • Dreamerlove
    Options
    Potatoes are good for you if you eat the skin, but they're not as good as other veggies. And with mashed, you're probably putting butter and salt and other things in them that take away from the veggie goodness.

Anyway, yes, you can eat all the veggies you want, but that doesn't mean you can eat just ONE kind of veggie all day long. You need a variety to get the nutrients you need.

I bake mine then mash them and put smart balance and pecans-that's it. So that's a better way. :)
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are considered a starch
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Non-starchy veggies...like broccoli.
    Potatoes (white or sweet), corn, legumes...they're all veggie-ish but pack a lot more of a caloric whallop. But you really can do a lot worse than an occasional sweet potato binge, as long as you're not junking them up with butter, salt, brown sugar, or marshmallows...ick. I don't know WHO invented THAT thanksgiving side dish! I'll take mine plain, thanks :o)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Isn't sweet potato a superfood? Will that count for something? lol
    They are very good for you, BUT, they are high in carbs. They have a lot of density, so I think the idea is things like lettuce, celery, cabbage, broccoli. You'll notice that they have way less cals and carbs for large amounts!
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    a white potato is in more the Starch family.
    sweet pots are better for you but still in moderation.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, how I wish I could eat all the potatoes I want!

If you look at the nutritional info of a potato, even sweet potatoes, compared to carrots, celery, broccoli, lettuce, etc. you'll find that potatoes contain a lot more calories.

So when you hear people say you can eat all the veggies you want, they are talking about the ones that are more water based rather than starchy like the oh-so-yummy potato.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I count everything. Going over calories is still going over calories. Recently read about a guy that couldnt understand his weight gain, no junk, turned vegetarian mainly ate fruit n veg ...Dr's just thought he was lying but he was eating extreme amounts...12 apples a day (1200 minimum) and lots of veggies.

Count em!
  • urdaprincess
    Options
    this is true, but it is mainly the green veggies they are talking about. I am doing this too...I make sure that most of my dinner and lunch is mainly veggies (green)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie...if it comes from a sweet potato that's better than it coming from a cheeseburger I guess but if it has calories, you need to log it accurately and try to stay within the guidelines of the system.

If calories are calories why are they better coming from a sweet potato rather than a cheeseburger?
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your butt won't know the difference. But your arteries will.

If calories are calories why are they better coming from a sweet potato rather than a cheeseburger?