She's turning me vegetarian!

Options
2»

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I love meat, couldn't give it up if I tried! :laugh: Watch out for iron deficiencies, take suppliments if you have to. Do you eat eggs and dairy products regularly still? If not make sure you're getting your protein elsewhere and make sure you take on a soy based milk alternative! calcium= important :bigsmile:
  • Kaybay37
    Options
    I've been veggie for almost a year. In all the research including speaking with my doc, B12 is the only vitamin you absolutely cannot get without animal products and it is important. Personally, I drink Cranergy because vits make me sick. Blech.

As long as you are including a lot of variety including beans and legumes in addition to actual vegetables (not junk) you should get all the nutrition you need. Yes, there are people who eat nothing but Twizzlers and Coke and call themselves vegetarian. :huh: :wink:

A good resource is Vegetarians for Dummies. In typical "Dummie" fashion it breaks the info down into easy to digest (ha) form.

Hunting is one thing...factory farming is something altogether different :frown: :frown: :cry: :cry:

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone
    would be vegetarian." Paul and Linda McCartney, 1996
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone
    would be vegetarian." Paul and Linda McCartney, 1996

"I'm not vegetarian because I love animals.
    I'm vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

i always loved that one :laugh:
  • Kaybay37
    Options

"I'm not vegetarian because I love animals.
    I'm vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

i always loved that one :laugh:

Hee hee! :laugh: :smokin: :laugh:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    If you turn veggie make sure you get on a creatine AND a vitamin B supplement with the approval of your doctor of course. Typically Veggies need this because they cannot get healthy amounts of phospho-creatine or vitamin B without supplementing.

Also one other thing but its really minor. The only way you can get all essential amino acids which you cannot live without is to combine various beans and legumes. However the one flaw with this is that you can never get all of the essential amino acids in the values that your body wants them in. Eating meat is the only way to get all of the essentials from one source AND in the values that your body desires them in.

As humans we are genetically made to be omnivores thats a fact. But with modern technology and supplements we have the option of totally disrespecting mother nature :laugh:
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    sorry! i love steak to much. tried it for a couple of weeks but couldnt do it.
  • jcm476
    Options
    Well i'll tell you what it has done to MY body. At 17 years old... when eating LITERALLY a half of a serving of meat per day and no fried food.. my cholesterol was at 200 points. Cutting out foods made ALL the difference for my health.

YES cutting out meat will make you healthier. I didnt say replace it with poptarts.. that is an absurd way to make a point. Obviously anyone concerned about their health and trying to lose weight wouldnt replace it with pure sugar.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol at 200 is normal. What were your HDL and LDL levels? If you were truly eating only one serving of saturated fat per day and still had high cholesterol (although 200 is considered normal) it sounds like you had an absorption problem and should be on medication.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of vegetarian junk foods out there...Pop Tarts, Cheetos, etc.

:huh: Actually, PopTarts are not vegetarian - almost all of them have gelatin in them. Oh, and they're gross. :sick:

MSarro - it sounds like you are doing fine. The most important thing is to eat a variety of foods - different veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts. Iron, calcium, B12, and protein were the nutrient my parents harped on me about growing up. But I never had any problem with my blood tests or anything.

Just a teeny comment - no need for anybody to get defensive or make fun of anyone else's lifestyle here. Vegetarianism has been around forever, and can be just as healthy, or unhealthy, as non-vegetarianism. Let's keep it positive (not implying anybody wasn't, but it's a little like discussing politics or religion - I've just seen conversations on this topic degrade before).

OK. (tiptoeing out) :laugh: Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I thought gelatin counted as a by-product...so they'd be vegetarian but not vegan.

Either way, they're crap LOL
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I thought gelatin counted as a by-product...so they'd be vegetarian but not vegan.

Either way, they're crap LOL

by-products if produces with a part of a dead animal is not vegetarian, milk/egg would be ok because there is no need to kill the animal, but would not go along with the vegan mentality.

since gelatine is made form from the boiling of animal skin, connective tissue or bones it is not vegetarian yuk,,,,:sick:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Well i'll tell you what it has done to MY body. At 17 years old... when eating LITERALLY a half of a serving of meat per day and no fried food.. my cholesterol was at 200 points. Cutting out foods made ALL the difference for my health.

200 points total cholesterol is normal. What are your HDL to LDL ratios? Knowing your cholesterol level without knowing HDL to LDL is almost worthless.

YES cutting out meat will make you healthier. I didnt say replace it with poptarts.. that is an absurd way to make a point. Obviously anyone concerned about their health and trying to lose weight wouldnt replace it with pure sugar.

Making a blanket statement such as, "cutting out meat will make you healthier" always does more damage than good. You cannot lump all meats in the same nutritional value. There is a whopping difference between pork and fish. lumping all meats together is just as bad of an idea as lumping all carbohydrates together. There is a HUGE difference between a nutritious wholesome slice of whole grain bread and a ding dong or a ho ho or a nutritionally worthless slice of enriched bleached white bread. There are a lot of vegetarians who eat fish because they understand how valuable good meat is to the human physiology. Vegetarians who are strictly vegatarians can safely be strictly vegetarians in todays modernism ONLY because they can take a creatine and a vitamin B supplement. Those who do not supplement risk serious health issues down the road.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

200 points total cholesterol is normal. What are your HDL to LDL ratios? Knowing your cholesterol level without knowing HDL to LDL is almost worthless.

Hehe...I said *exactly* the same thing in another thread.
    Are you reading my mind?:wink: