Struggling To Get Up To 1200

Options
I've gotten to a weird point in my diet lately. I keep having days where I feel full after only 800-900 calories in that day. Am I really supposed to force myself to get to 1200 so I don't go into anorexia or starvation mode? The food I eat is so ridiculously healthy now that I have to eat a fair amount of mass to hit 1200 calories.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    yep add something in and get your 1200 min. Handful of nuts, an egg or two, a couple of fruit servings.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd say a low day every now and then won't hurt you but if you find this happens several times a week you might try to add a higher calorie snack such as nuts or something else that might get you closer to the minimum goal MFP has set for you. Don't "force" yourself to eat but I wouldn't "go low" too often if possible.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under 1500 you're pretty much doing damage to your body in the long run.There is no way you should be full with those calories. I assume you're not eating in appropiate hours. Try eating every 2 to 3 hours.
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    Yes I would recommend you get up to 1200 calories. You can probably even go slightly higher than that.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It happens to me a couple times a week. And sometimes I go a little over. It all seems to even out. I just eat when I'm hungry. Usually 5 or 6 mini meals a day. It works for me and I eat pretty damn healthy. I wouldn't want to go below 1200 on a regular basis, though, and I imagine you should probably have a higher calorie amount than me.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem alot of days.I think I eat pretty well and lately it takes alot less to fill me up. about 5 mins ago I checked my food diary to make sure I was close as the day is ending, only to see that I was at only 900 and some odd cals for the day! My goal is over 1400! :smile:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recommend hitting the 1200 net. If you eat 1/4 cup of cashews (which isn't much) it's 300 calories. Eat things that are high in calories (like nuts, cashews etc) to bump that number up. It won't make you feel overstuffed but it will get you there.
  • sparksfly13
    Options
    Super important that you get your minimum daily calories! You will definitely go into the "starvation mode" if you are not eating enough. 800-900 calories a day is not enough for your body. 1200 is probably even on the low side, especially if you are active during the day.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Avocado, almonds, peanut butter, glass of orange juice, glass of chocolate milk, serving of greek yogurt with fruit, a protein bar or shake.. These will all help you up your calories without feeling like you are over-stuffing yourself.

It's not the end of the world to go below 1200 every now and then but if it is something consistent then your metabolism will definitely suffer. And I think 1200 calories is the recommendation for women, for men I think it's 1500.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds and granola are very calorie dense.
  • rascal21
    rascal21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue....I used to have issues staying close to it, normally on the very high side, and now I am lucky if i get to 1000. It always takes a snack in the evening to get it over the 1200. The funny thing is that I am eating constantly. The things I am eating have changed drastically though. There has got to be some middle ground.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue....I used to have issues staying close to it, normally on the very high side, and now I am lucky if i get to 1000. It always takes a snack in the evening to get it over the 1200. The funny thing is that I am eating constantly. The things I am eating have changed drastically though. There has got to be some middle ground.

Agreed!
  • kumamushi
    kumamushi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to tree nuts, so those are right out. Peanut butter is safe though.

If you look at my food diary (which is public) I do eat breakfast, lunch, a small snack after lunch usually, supper, and then if I have any calories left I need to eat I have snacks every two hours after supper until I meet 1200. I'm certainly not skipping any meals.

Also, I'm very sedentary. I work as a software engineer and I don't exercise very much right now. When I do exercise, though, I try to hit the correct net calories goal. I think after the first couple weeks of dieting my stomach must have shrunk considerably.
  • Jpickeri
    Options
    It's really important to get up to 1200 and not go below that 1200 mark, especially for males. Make sure your body is getting the appropriate nutrients (complex carbohydrates, protein, fiber, fats, etc). If you're not eating enough (even if you seem full), your metabolism begins to slow down because your body wants to hold onto and store the nutrients that it's getting. Eat more calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocados, and dark chocolate.
  • kumamushi
    Options
    Maybe I should consider increasing the goal calories for the day, just a tad. According to another site (which uses the Mifflin formula) 1320 calories a day with my stats is considered "extreme weight loss". 2007 calories a day would maintain my current weight. After the first two weeks, I've been consistently losing 2.5 pounds a week. I did the Hacker's Diet trend chart and it says that I have a daily deficit of 1283 calories which seems mind boggling, but is purely calculated based on pounds lost so it must be roughly on target. I must be underestimating my net calories every day by a fair bit; that or I have an insanely fast metabolism.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd start with adding a mid morning snack, a banana would easily add on 100 calories or so. Then for lunch I'd go for a bigger salad (I assume that's what you had....but IMO 2 leaves of lettuce is not enough nor is a 1/2 cup spinach) and I'd also go for full fat salad dressing to add on some calories even olive oil and balsamic vinegar would be great, that's my favorite dressing and it would add about 130 calories to your lunch. Then I'd have a mid afternoon snack maybe another peice of fruit or cottage cheese (good protein source) or really anything for maybe approx 100 calories.

Adding those things alone would be about 300-350 more per day bringing you up to closer to 1500.

Then if you are still under just up your serving size, eat 1/2 cup of cereal instead of the 1/4 cup you ate. Make sure you are choosing full fat yogurt and not the light, diet, versions.

If you do some or all of the above you will reach 1200-1500 no problem!!!

**I just looked over your diary again and if you were to have done your day my way you would be at 1570-1600 right now for calories and it really isn't much more food, just added 2 snacks (1 am and 1 pm) and upped your evening honey to 1 full tbls, and your cereal to 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup and changed your lunch salad dressing to full fat and did 2 cups spinach**
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am having this same problem, mainly because of the exercise. Been not feeling good, and pukey, so having a hard time eating stuff earlier in the day, then after exercise I'm waaaaay below what I need.
  • rosebud01
    rosebud01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness, i thought i was the only one. It seems counter-intuitive when i love food SO much that i would have trouble reaching 1200 per day but i do. I'm eating very carefully and averaging about 250-300 calories per meal and 100 or so calories per snack, but there are days that i get to the end and realise i've only reached 1000 calories.
    Nuts are dangerous for me - as are crackers, dried fruit, chocolate etc I can eat way too many before i realise i've gone overboard. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. So i try fruit or protein bars. Once they're finished there's no more left and i can keep them in my handbag/car.
  • kumamushi
    Options
    I'm wondering if maybe my habit of keeping the heat vent closed in my bedroom causes me to burn more calories to stay warm. It would explain the discrepancy. I just don't like how the heat in our house is either high or off. I generally rely on ambient heat in my bedroom.