Calories burnt up in exercise

Options
Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
Right, so I now understand that I have to consume the same calories as I burn, but what if I can't find anything I can eat with high calories in?
I'm a diabetic so have to be careful what I eat, if I usually have 1,400 cals, and exercise and burn off 500 cals, I have to have an extra 500 cals - a total of 1,900 cals right?
What the heck do I eat that contains hardly and sugar but plenty of cals???

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Options
    Right, so I now understand that I have to consume the same calories as I burn, but what if I can't find anything I can eat with high calories in?
    I'm a diabetic so have to be careful what I eat, if I usually have 1,400 cals, and exercise and burn off 500 cals, I have to have an extra 500 cals - a total of 1,900 cals right?
  • Tgeorge
    Options
    How about protein- are you okay with this and your sugars? Chicken, Beans, Peas, and the yummy vegie burgers like Boca or Garden Delight.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Natural Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons has about 180 cals, or almonds, another good source of good fat. How about a little bigger portions of foods that you are already eating? Whole grain bread w/ natural PB & sugar-free jelly would be a good snack. Cottage cheese is low in sugar & higher in protein also.

HTH!

Jess
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocados are my favorite "secret weapons".
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    nuts. PB is good--has fat so it digest slow and won't spike your levels too bad. same with nuts. Try various things, test, and see how they do you.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Carbs are usually on track, protein is always half of my allowance - is this a good or bad thing?
    I know I have to watch my protein - as for my sugar levels, they are constantly going down - 5.6 today woo-hoo:bigsmile:
    I have nuts with natural yogurt, might have some later actually, as for peanut butter - yeah, I'll give that a go
    Cheers
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I am so glad you asked this question. This is the same thing I struggle with. I'm afraid I end up eating foods that I should be staying away from. I'm also feeling like being a diabetic is making it extremely hard to lose the extra weight. Is this a possibiity?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Watch the protein--with us diabetics, too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. read warning below copied from a US gov't website.

I do 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat.

I can do higher carbs due to my exercise level though.

One problem with diabetics and exercise is we have to be careful when we begin to get into heavy exercise--our bodies cannot always take the kind of carbs and proteins needed to sustain a high level of energy. Finding a delicate balance is VERY difficult and one I am continually banging my against the wall trying to work out.

I suggest for you that you try to keep your exercise level and exercise caloric burn within an amount that allows you to easily consume your excess calories without risking increasing your levels or causing lows.

And, WORK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! Let them know every step of the way, ok! Vital for us as diabetics to work with our docs.

"In people with diabetes, excessive consumption of protein may be harmful. Experts recommend that people with kidney disease of diabetes consume the recommended dietary allowance for protein, but avoid high-protein diets. For people with greatly reduced kidney function, a diet containing reduced amounts of protein may help delay the onset of kidney failure. Anyone following a reduced-protein diet should work with a dietitian to ensure adequate nutrition." ~ http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/kdd/
  • johnsscarlett
    Options
    Watch the protein--with us diabetics, too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. read warning below copied from a US gov't website.

I do 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat.

I can do higher carbs due to my exercise level though.

One problem with diabetics and exercise is we have to be careful when we begin to get into heavy exercise--our bodies cannot always take the kind of carbs and proteins needed to sustain a high level of energy. Finding a delicate balance is VERY difficult and one I am continually banging my against the wall trying to work out.

I suggest for you that you try to keep your exercise level and exercise caloric burn within an amount that allows you to easily consume your excess calories without risking increasing your levels or causing lows.

And, WORK WITH YOUR DOCTOR! Let them know every step of the way, ok! Vital for us as diabetics to work with our docs.

"In people with diabetes, excessive consumption of protein may be harmful. Experts recommend that people with kidney disease of diabetes consume the recommended dietary allowance for protein, but avoid high-protein diets. For people with greatly reduced kidney function, a diet containing reduced amounts of protein may help delay the onset of kidney failure. Anyone following a reduced-protein diet should work with a dietitian to ensure adequate nutrition." ~ http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/kdd/
  • johnsscarlett
    Options
    opps! What I wanted to say is that It really is a balancing act. Last week in the middle of my step rebok class I had to run out to the juice bar and down a banana. I was in a panic. For breakfast I usually have a packet of sweetened oatmeal and 1 tbls. of peanut butter, well I tought I it would be healthier to eat regular oatmeal which is what I did. Apparently I need the extra sugar to sustain me through my workout. That happened to me twice last week. I am now back to the sweetened stuff. I am going to make an appointment with a diabetic nutritionist. I am tired of this guessing game.
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    ok, so i don't understand the burned calorie thing:huh: , isn't it the point of losing weight to eat and burn calories, to lower your intake to lose the weight? So if I'm burning an 300 calories a day and eating 400 calories less a day, by the end of the week i'll lose a 1lb or so, right? But how does it help to burn the 300, then eat 400 less, but to make up for the burned calories by eating 300 calories, so in really i'm only losing .5 lbs per week?

Hope that makes a little sense if not, please explain the burned calorie eating thing...thanks!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    ok, so i don't understand the burned calorie thing:huh: , isn't it the point of losing weight to eat and burn calories, to lower your intake to lose the weight? So if I'm burning an 300 calories a day and eating 400 calories less a day, by the end of the week i'll lose a 1lb or so, right? But how does it help to burn the 300, then eat 400 less, but to make up for the burned calories by eating 300 calories, so in really i'm only losing .5 lbs per week?

Hope that makes a little sense if not, please explain the burned calorie eating thing...thanks!

That's exactly what I thought, strange thing is, if i eat my burnt calories - like I did yesterday, I lose 2lbs overnight, but if I don't eat the calories I burnt, like Monday, I lose a 1lb overnight??????:noway:
    Work that one out, either you lose weight both ways or my motabolism is even more stuffed up than I'd thought!!! ????!!!! :laugh:
  • aladuke26
    aladuke26 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am soooo inspired by all of you. I look at your progress and am just amazed. I am just having the hardest time losing this weight. :cry:
    My problem is binge eating at night!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Here's a post I wrote that answers that question:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

long story short, you don't want to make your deficit from maintenance calories too big. If you're set at a pound a week, it's already -500 cals from maintenance, and to go any lower risks sending your body into survival mode, which =s no loss.:flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Options

Here's a post I wrote that answers that question:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

long story short, you don't want to make your deficit from maintenance calories too big. If you're set at a pound a week, it's already -500 cals from maintenance, and to go any lower risks sending your body into survival mode, which =s no loss.:flowerforyou:

Hey, thank you soooo much, now I understand - cripes, how the heck am I gonna find so many calories extra to eat in one day ????

:happy: