calorie/sodium issues

Options
i have lowered my calorie goals a few times. most recently i changed it to 1600.
but when i had it at 1800, i would tend to stay around 1600 cals/day. now that ive lowered it to 1600, i tend to stay around 1400/day.
this is because im trying to stay within my sodium all the time, and im having trouble finding foods that are low in sodium.

i do not buy pre cooked/ pre packed foods. so that isnt the issue.

suggestions please?

btw, i only allow 1500 mg.

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? I'm never even near the suggested 2500mgs. Almost always closer to 1500 and eat fairly fresh, with a lean cuisine thrown in here and there.

There's very little sodium in fruits and veggies.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Do what I did recently, DISREGARD your sodium levels, especially if it is affecting your calorie intake. I found that I was going too low on calories because I was so worried about my sodium levels and that isnt healthy. Sodium does NOT make you gain fat weight, it makes you gain FLUID weight which really ISN'T weight at all. You're just "holding on to water". It's temporary weight you hold. If it's going to affect your calories, disregard it. I found this works VERY well for me. I don't even think about sodium anymore & took it right off my list of things to monitor. It's not REAL WEIGHT from sodium, it's excess water (which you will eventually release and your weight will be back to the norm). If it's affecting your calories, disregard it. Get those calories in, that's what's important.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? I'm never even near the suggested 2500mgs. Almost always closer to 1500 and eat fairly fresh, with a lean cuisine thrown in here and there.

There's very little sodium in fruits and veggies.
    I just checked my diary and some of the things I ate today with pretty much zero sodium were brown rice, edemame, banana and blueberries. I also had a yogurt that had only 75 mgs.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Do what I did recently, DISREGARD your sodium levels, especially if it is affecting your calorie intake. I found that I was going too low on calories because I was so worried about my sodium levels and that isnt healthy. Sodium does NOT make you gain fat weight, it makes you gain FLUID weight which really ISN'T weight at all. You're just "holding on to water". It's temporary weight you hold. If it's going to affect your calories, disregard it. I found this works VERY well for me. I don't even think about sodium anymore & took it right off my list of things to monitor. It's not REAL WEIGHT from sodium, it's excess water (which you will eventually release and your weight will be back to the norm). If it's affecting your calories, disregard it. Get those calories in, that's what's important.

And has been linked to hypertension....sorry. Sodium levels should not be ignored.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

And has been linked to hypertension....sorry. Sodium levels should not be ignored.

I don't go ridiculous with my sodium. I know the foods that I eat and I never add salt to anything. I wasn't getting my calories in because of my sodium and my stress with it & that's equally as dangerous to your health as sodium levels.
  • nido21
    nido21 Posts: 19
    Options

I don't go ridiculous with my sodium. I know the foods that I eat and I never add salt to anything. I wasn't getting my calories in because of my sodium and my stress with it & that's equally as dangerous to your health as sodium levels.

I do the same, I do go over a bit on my sodium, but if I don't I would never get enough calories in.