Ok, I've been here for a week, please critique my diary!

Options
I just made it public.

I'm female, 5'1" or 5'2", started at 125 (which was probably water weight from the gigantic Italian V-day dinner I had the night before) and am 120 now. My goal is 108, which I weighed the Christmas before last.

The choices mid-Saturday through mid-Monday are a bit odd because I was out of town and forced to eat either fast food/restaurants or breakfast from the hotel. I can't pass up free food, and considering there were waffles, french toast, bacon, hash browns, Froot Loops... I think I did pretty good! I even took a yogurt and a couple bagels and jams with me for the following "lunch" and breakfast.

Now obviously I caved a couple times (fried rice, girl scout cookies, animal crackers - stupid vending machines having nothing healthy!) but I feel like I'm doing good. I think my issue from now on will be new meal ideas. You can only have so much salad, grilled chicken, and Subway. Also, I live with my boyfriend's parents temporarily and there isn't room for much new foods in the fridge (i.e. why I've needed to use whole milk)

Ok I'm done babbling! Go nuts!

Replies

• hlmpyar
    Options
    Ruining your diet once in a while can't be too bad. We're not perfect and i'm sure everyone does it, including me. I found a website for a grocery store called Wegmans. The closest one is NY (or PA) but I like this website, because it has a ton of delicious, healthy recipes. Of course, all their recipes list their own brand name ingredients, but it's stuff that can be purchased at any grocery store.
    http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10052&identifier=CATEGORY_515
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You're eating a LOT of processed foods, meaning you aren't really getting a lot of food for the calories/fat that you're consuming, and there is VERY little fiber and lots of sodium.

You need to add more veggies-- you should be getting at the very least 5 servings a day (but ideally, more).

Instead of getting sandwiches at places like Jimmy John's and Subway, make your own with chicken breast you cooked yourself, and fresh tomatoes, lettuce, onion, other fresh veggies, etc. It's a lot more nutritious this way: you eliminate a lot of sodium, fat, and calories, while adding fiber and fresh veggies.

Even with stuff like yogurt, choose the least processed versions possible-- Ie, don't get the sugary flavored ones, which only have 5 or 6 grams of protein. Instead, get nonfat Plain Greek yogurt and add fresh fruit.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'd drop the bagel, and the jam. Opt for a whole fruit and maybe a piece of whole wheat toast instead.

ahh, what else?

2 whole scrambled eggs is a lot of cholesterol in one day, as an alternate, I'd take the 1 whole egg, then get rid of the yoke of the other. I'm not against cholesterol, but 2 yokes is quite a bit.

Wendy's chlli is ok, not what I'd choose first, but not going to kill you.
    THE CRACKERS on the other hand (the Wendy's saltines) are nothing but pure simple carbs. Those are pretty much a no-no. Ask for a plain baked potato instead, and don't forget to eat some of the skin, great vitamins in potato skin.

On the pasta, opt for whole wheat or whole grain instead of the straight white pasta.

And I'm sure you already know about the GS cookies and such.

One other point, I'm not seeing nearly enough veggies. you need at LEAST 4 servings a day, better is 5 or 6, and of different kinds as well. My recommendation, add a serving to breakfast, to replace the calories from the egg yoke. That'll get you a long way. On the up side, veggies are pretty low cal, so you can add them easily without much change in the daily diet.

This all looks negative, but it's not. I'm really just critiquing, so don't think I see your diary as a failure, you're doing fine, just small adjustments needed is all.
  • katieseitz
    Options
    I'd drop the bagel, and the jam. Opt for a whole fruit and maybe a piece of whole wheat toast instead.

ahh, what else?

2 whole scrambled eggs is a lot of cholesterol in one day, as an alternate, I'd take the 1 whole egg, then get rid of the yoke of the other. I'm not against cholesterol, but 2 yokes is quite a bit.

Wendy's chlli is ok, not what I'd choose first, but not going to kill you.
    THE CRACKERS on the other hand (the Wendy's saltines) are nothing but pure simple carbs. Those are pretty much a no-no. Ask for a plain baked potato instead, and don't forget to eat some of the skin, great vitamins in potato skin.

The bagel, jam, and eggs were from the hotel breakfast so I didn't have the option of taking out the yolks, and of the options I did have (bacon, etc) I still think it was a pretty successful and very filling breakfast away from home :) Also Wendy's chili was on the road back home (same thing to the poster about my Jimmy Johns sandwich), it was the best thing I could think of (other than the salads which are kinda pricey). And I'm a slave to the crackers >.< I need a crunch!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll get some more veggies, fresh tend to go over my budget REAL fast, but I like the steam packs they sell in the frozen aisle.
  • hlmpyar
    Options
    @Ral263 - that's very good advice. I just had Jimmy John for dinner actually, about 90 minutes ago ** i'm at work for 2 1/2 more hours :( ** I didn't really think about what other things might be in that sandwich and how it may be prepared. At least cooking at home, a person knows exactly what's in their food.