whats the goal when working out?

Options
I have been going to the gym for the last .......2 months now. i know i still have alot of work to do to get anywhere near my fitness goals, but have been wondering. WHen strength training, is it better to go for more reps/sets? or higher weights and less reps/sets? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As a girl I prefer less weight, more reps/sets, because it tones the body. Higher weights less reps/sets are usually better to build up muscle (get bigger) So it depends on what you want for yourself. Hope it helped you!
  • rebrafe
    Options
    What is your goal? To be lean or to build muscle?
  • Wwbradl
    Options
    It depends on what you're trying to achieve. More reps with less weight will give you leaner muscles (12-15 reps/set) whereas fewer reps with heavier weight (8-10 reps/set) will result in bulkier muscles.
  • Ignotus
    Options
    If you want bigger muscle mass, fewer reps with more weight increases muscle size.
    If you want muscular tone/endurance, more reps with less weight tones the muscle.
  • ali_92181
    Options
    thanks.....it did help. and if those are your puppies, they are the cutest ever. Pugs right? i love them!