weigh/measure popcorn question

Options
Hi,

Do you weigh popcorn on the food scale or in a measuring cup??? Does it matter???

Replies

• mlaugh
    mlaugh Posts: 30
    Options
    I use the 100 calorie bag keeps it simple. I would use the scale because it is a dry good
  • Janice1968
    Options
    I have hot air popcorn, and I measure it by cups.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I typically weigh it before popping on the scale.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually just take a handful, I guess I have small hands, but it does the trick for me.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just measure out by cup after it is popped.
  • nleigh
    Options
    i measure the kernels before cooking them, I think 1/4 cup is about 120 calories.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    The bag says 1/4 cup and something in grams (I don't remember now). Last night, I was curious about this, too.
    I measured the grams and it's less than a 1/4 cup. I'm starting to go more by what my food scale says because a friend of mine had mentioned about peanut butter being the same way. What he thought was the typical serving of 2 Tbs, ended up being less on the food scale.
    I'd go by the food scale whenever you can.

In other words, if you're weight loss has stalled and you're using cups/spoons, you could be getting more than you should.

I know, sucks! Sorry!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The bag says 1/4 cup and something in grams (I don't remember now). Last night, I was curious about this, too.
    I measured the grams and it's less than a 1/4 cup. I'm starting to go more by what my food scale says because a friend of mine had mentioned about peanut butter being the same way. What he thought was the typical serving of 2 Tbs, ended up being less on the food scale.

In other words, if you're weight loss has stalled and you're using cups/spoons, you could be getting more than you should.

I know, sucks! Sorry!!
    Yup I've had this happen too - thought i was doing good to measure my cheerios by the cup but one day I actually weighed that cup I pulled out and it was way more than the suggest weight. I don't know how they do it, maybe it's a conversion thing and not a physical cup thing. I've started to use the principal that if it's solid - weigh it and if it's liquid measure it (cups, spoons, etc)

Then there's always the process of measuring solids too - packed like brown sugar or loose like flour? you could be way off your caloric mark if you pick the wrong one.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options

I know, sucks! Sorry!!
    Yup I've had this happen too - thought i was doing good to measure my cheerios by the cup but one day I actually weighed that cup I pulled out and it was way more than the suggest weight. I don't know how they do it, maybe it's a conversion thing and not a physical cup thing. I've started to use the principal that if it's solid - weigh it and if it's liquid measure it (cups, spoons, etc)

Then there's always the process of measuring solids too - packed like brown sugar or loose like flour? you could be way off your caloric mark if you pick the wrong one.

Ya it sucks but the scale is stuck here's the first place to go the 2nd exercise calories usually estitmated to high check a few web sites before you eat them all back