Heart rate monitor/calorie counter

Options
I would like to get a heart rate monitor/calorie counter, any suggestions on what brands are GOOD, and somewhat inexpensive? Where can I find it?

Replies

• lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    Polar brand...google it.
  • sjgarcia9
    sjgarcia9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and a Timex Iron man. I like the Ironman much better. The good ones (count calories and time and HR) range about $85 up to $200.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with POLAR and I have been using my for 3 + years. Mine was just a basic model and I paid $107 for it as I am just concerned with calories burned and max/average heart rate while running. They make numerous models with all kinds of bells and whistles if you want to spend some extra cash.
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    I have a timex ironman with chest strap as well; love it.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and a Timex Iron man. I like the Ironman much better. The good ones (count calories and time and HR) range about $85 up to $200.

One of my friends also has the Timex iron man and she doesn't like it very well. She hasn't had much success with it working properly all of the time.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    Polars are expensive. I got a New Balance one at Target for 60 bucks that counts calories and HR and it's way easy to use and i couldnt be any happier with it...you dont need any special conducting gel and you can change the batteries yourself without having to take it out to a watch guy.
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I picked up a Poar fairly cheap off Amazon - just the most basic model and am very happy with it.

Some of the fancier ones are a little easier to use - but I am happy with what I have.
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just got a Timex T5J041. I think (but can't prove) that the calorie counts on it are overstated. But the main thing is monitoring BPM and I am pleased with that and all its other features. It is easy to use, has chest strap and costs about $65. It has changed my workouts in a dramatic way, for the better. I have ordered my wife a Oregon Scientific off of Walmart for $38, so we'll see how they compare. We can't afford Polars.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4. Keeps track of heart rate, calories burned, you can see if you are in the zone, and it has the chest strap (which you want for better accuracy). I picked it up at Amazon for $70, and I highly recommend it for getting more accurate calorie counts for your exercises and activities.
  • sriramchari
    sriramchari Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a polar rs200 for the past 3 years and works really well. It is water proof and has tools to upload your data online. You can access all your workouts in https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/. Keeps you honest. One thing to consider is the type of calorie counter. Polar R200 makes you wear a heart rate monitor on your chest which might be uncomfortable for some. Newer models, though expensive, does not require you to wear the hear rate monitor. Garmin has calorie counter's that comes with GPS system.
  • pigskin1974
    Options
    Thanks all! This has helped a lot!!
  • AndreaCBR
    AndreaCBR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 405CX and I love it!