Beef stew meat

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
So I have some beef stew meat, and I was wondering what to do with it BESIDES making beef stew. My kids don't really eat soups and stews and with as many battles as we've been having lately, I just don't want to instigate another one. :laugh: So, any ideas? I was thinking of like some kind of a stir-fry, but I've never made stir-fry before and I don't have a wok. I'm willing to go grocery shopping for this one, so just about any idea goes.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day and it was amazing.

Cut stew meat in half (so it's fairly thin). Salt/pepper it.

Drizzle a little olive oil and garlic in a pan. Sautee beef, mushrooms and onion until the onion is carmelized and beef has a bit of crisp to it (but is not well done).

Once done, drain any remaining olive oil.

Add beef broth and fresh pasta to pan (about a cup of broth).

Simmer until most of the broth has absorbed/it has thickened to a sauce.

Stir in a bit of cheese (something creamy that will melt like gouda or laughing cow swiss is good-1 oz is prob enough, you just want a hint of creaminess).

Stir until cheese is blended into sauce and serve! SO good!
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old loves it when I brown the stew meat with peppers and onions and then let it simmer in spaghetti sauce until tender He loves it served over rice. Look for an organic sauce or make your own! Also go for brown rice! :)
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ASPARAGUS BEEF LO MEIN ( MADE WITH SIMPLE THINGS)

USE WHAT BEEF YOU HAVE
    FRESH ASPARAGUS
    1/4 TSP MINCED GARLIC
    2 1/4 C. WATER
    2 PACKAGES OF BEEF RAMEN NOODLES
    2/3 C. HOISIN SAUCE ( OR SOY SAUCE)

IN A LARGE SKILLET/SAUTE PAN PUT 2 TSP EVOO ADD YOUR BEEF FOR 5 MINS OR UNTIL MEAT IS NO LONGER PINK, ADD THE ASPARAGUS AND GARLIC, STIR FRY FOR 2 MINS.
    IN A BOWL COMBINE THE 1/4 WATER AND 1/2 TSP OF THE SEASONING FROM ONE RAMEN NOODLE PACK. STIR WELL. ADD YOUR HOISIN SAUCE, STIR INTO THE BEEF MIXTURE. BRING TO A BOIL, COOK AND STIR FOR ABOUT ANOTHER 2 MINS UNTIL IT IS THICK TO YOUR LIKING
    IN A SIDE SAUCEPAN PREPARE YOUR RAMEN NOODLES WITH THE REMAINING WATER AT A BOIL AND THE REMAINING SEASONING FROM THE PACKET YOU PUT IN WITH YOUR BEEF COOK YOUR NOODLES FOR 3 MINS REMOVE YOUR NOODLES AND LET THEM SIT TILL TENDER.
    SERVE UP YOUR NOODLES AND ADD YOUR BEEF TO THE TOP

THIS MAY NOT BE AS HEALTHY AS WANTED BUT KIDS WILL ENJOY IT AND ITS QUICK AND EASY.
  • AdamA
    AdamA Posts: 15
    Options
    Beef Kabob's. Just beef and your favorite vegi's. Quick and easy!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Beef Carnitas

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001227902

Haven't made it yet but will eventually. I would recommend marinating beef with some oj and lime juice with beef broth and adding cumin as well
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Sorry, I meant to reply to this! Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try a stir-fry similar to what jenncombs suggested, but I don't have ramen noodles so I'm putting it on crispy noodles. I'm filing the other ideas away for next time. :)
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Pasta and cheese should not be part of your diet if you're trying to lose or maintain a good weight. Yes, they taste delicious (I miss both), but it's a must if you want to reduce calories, cut out carbs and fats.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Um... thanks? I follow the guideline of "everything in moderation." Also, that's not what I was asking in this thread.