excercising in bits and pieces

Options
I've been trying to walk instead of taking the car when I do errands close by. If I walk to the store (5 min each way), walk to a teacher's meeting (8 mins. each way etc.) walk to the mailbox (4 mins each way) etc., I accumulate a total of 30 minutes of walking or more a day, albeit in small spurts.

I read somewhere (I think on a HRM website) that the benefits of excercise are only actualized after 20 mins of continous excercise.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to walk instead of taking the car when I do errands close by. If I walk to the store (5 min each way), walk to a teacher's meeting (8 mins. each way etc.) walk to the mailbox (4 mins each way) etc., I accumulate a total of 30 minutes of walking or more a day, albeit in small spurts.

I read somewhere (I think on a HRM website) that the benefits of excercise are only actualized after 20 mins of continous excercise.

Thoughts?
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I read the same thing about the 20 minutes, and I think they meant that you need to keep your heart rate up for 20 minutes at a time to get the best benefits
    Any amount of exercise is better than none, and right now that sounds a lot like what I have been doing, getting a few minutes here and there lol
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    That is for your heart to receive a benefit. All those walking errands are great though - and something that has a good chance of staying with you for life. Try to get in a little cardio 3 x a week for your heart.