Crumbly Granola...

Options
Ok, so I just made some granola and it tastes fantastic! Everyone loves it....the only problem is, I was aiming for granola BARS, not just regular granola. It completely crumbles everytime I try to get some. Any tips for making this yummy stuff stick and make bars???

Replies

• ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    what was your recipe for it, what ingredient was called to hold them together.

I would suggest maybe setting them up in the freezer to set for 10 mins.
    you may have to change the yield in the recipe to make it more sticky
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    The recipe was:

• 4 1/2 cups rolled oats
    • 2/3 cup butter or oil
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

...and then I baked it for 20 min. on 325 deg. Also, I cut the recipe in half, just in case it wasn't good, but I don't think that would do anything to affect the outcome. They were sweet as it was too, so adding more honey or something would prob make them overloaded with sugar.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    that sounds like correct amounts to make it caramelize , how thick did you make them. They might need to be thinner than what we are use to buying in the store.

these sounds awesome btw :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You might have cooked them for too long-- especially if you cut the recipe in half. If you used too large of a cooking tray, the bars were too thin and dried out causing them to crack and crumble. Just a though.
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    I don't thInk overcooking was the prob because the granola wasn't brittle. In fact, it was very soft and chewy which is what I was aiming for in texture, but not to the point where they fall apart completly.