If your not sure... don't say anything (rant)

Options
Over the weekend I was out and about feeling good that I have lost a couple few pounds and I was starting to become regular at doing some sort of exercising. I was waiting in line at a movie theater when a lady came up to me, put her hand on my stomach and said "oh my gosh! do you know if it's a boy or girl?" My mouth fell to the ground and I had no clue what to say. I just looked at her and tried not to cry when I said "I'm not having a baby, I'm just fat!" All the lady said was "OH!"

I'm not going to let this get me down like it has in the past. I'm ready to get it going and loose this prego looking belly. I'm going to step it up and get serious. 135/140 is not that far away! WIsh me luck

Replies

• JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I like your attitude. I am sorry that must have hurt. Ill be your friend if you need one:):flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    That happened to me last year!! A guy I worked with did the same exact thing! Granted, he and his girlfriend were having a baby and he was probably just hyper sensitive/excited to all things baby...but seriously?? I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say or do. I just stood in the middle of the restaurant (where we worked) dazed and hurt!
  • HectorSr
    HectorSr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's right! don't let it get to you. Best of luck to you. Just keep your eye on the prize and as cliche as it sounds "There is light at the end of the tunnel".
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I would have told her I was having triplets then I would have looked thin
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That is terrible! I think I would have slapped her!
  • yogaangel
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you! Hang in there - you should feel good for what you have accomplished. I know that was hard, but maybe that lady needed to learn a lesson about restraint and sensitivity. She is probably at home MORTIFIED that she said that to you and will be more aware of when she opens her mouth in the future. Let's hope so! You were on the other side of the equation. Maybe it was a test to see how strong you are in your decision to change your life and lose weight. You made it through in shining colors. You are not going to let her get you down and you will turn this into a positive. Each day on this journey, we get stronger! Congrats on demonstrating how strong you have become!
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, especially when I first started gaining weight a few years ago (the curse of carrying weight in my mid-section) It happened like five or six times, and each time it did I'd come home and cry my eyes out to my boyfriend.

I HATE that people feel comfortable enough to say that to someone. All I know is that unless I see a baby coming out of you, I'm not asking ANYONE about it :/
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    I had twins 7 months ago and I was MASSIVE. Now, I just look like I'm pregnant with one. lol Motivation, Motivation
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    I had that happen a few months ago. I get really bloated after i binge and had just had a massive binge before work. Needless to say it must have been noticeable cause a random guy walked over and asked if i was pregnant haha.

At least you have the right addittude to keep moving forward and not let it get you down
    I spent the entire night at work crying out back because it upset me that much haha
  • jymalfonzo
    Options
    I would have told her I was having triplets then I would have looked thin

I was thinking of just going with it but I think I would have felt even more pain by letting her think I was prego when I was not. Too bad for her she was not all that slim.
  • jymalfonzo
    Options
    That is terrible! I think I would have slapped her!

I wish I had the guts to do that
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Poor you! Well done for not slapping her! :wink:

I had something fairly similar happen to me last year... I was in Doha (in Qatar) with one of my friends and we were walking around the Souq when this older lady in an abaya came up to me.. she put her hand on my arm and with a big smile said " I used to be fat like you and then I went on a diet and lost lots of weight"... and just kept smiling at me!!!!! Then she turned around and walked away!!!! :noway: :huh:

I couldn't believe it!!!! I just didn't know what to say... especially as she was smiling at me and clearly thought she was being helpful!!! My friend was killing herself laughing at the look on my face....

Now I'm used to how blunt the Arabs can be as I live in Bahrain not far from Qatar but that was quite a shock!