How to make Wii Fit more difficult?

Options
I just got a Wii Fit for SUPER cheap so im not too bummed but I was hoping itd be a harder workout. I burn about half of the calories i would burn doing a normal cardio workout in the same amount of time. For any of you who use wii fit is there any ways to up the intensity of the workouts it offers? The running and some of the strength seem to be the better exercises to get my heart rate up. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The better you get at the easy ones, it will unlock the harder/more advanced versions of the exercises; however, the only really good ones as far as calorie burns go are the hula hoop, the step, and the rhythm boxing. You can make the step more difficult by getting an extension (it raises it by around 6").
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I usually do the hula hoop basic and advanced, kung fu advanced, boxing, they all get you sweating
    and get the heartrate up. Add them to your strength training or yoga and see how that goes. The
    running is alway good too. :smile:
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I got the 4 inch riser for the board and like it a lot better!
  • laceygirl2318
    laceygirl2318 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually do the running, but even then I only burn about 65% the calories I would at the gym on the elliptical in the same amount of time. I like the step aerobics too, but that's not super calorie-burning either...does anyone know how adding the step affects the calorie burn? Also, super hula hoop is pretty intense. I think I'll be doing that for a while tonight, since I missed the gym this morning. :-) Hey, every little bit helps I guess, but its nice to find the most time-efficient, calorie-burning exercise possible. I've got other stuff to do! lol
  • EJ1214
    Options
    I use free weights when I do the free step and island run... during the free step, I do different types of curls, etc. each step and during the run I run with the weights in my hands.
  • yportia
    yportia Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Good thing you got a good price. I didn't / paid full price and was very disappointed that the exercises weren't more intense. Since purchasing it, I've gotten other wii “exergames” that I think burn a little more – The Biggest Loser – EA Sports something – Zumba - Just Dance 2 and Walk It Out – the last 3 I use one of them most nights. Back to wii fit - some of the games/activities unlock the more you do them. Of course the one I like the best - advance step - only lets you step for about 10 minutes at a time. But I think almost all of the others at least will unlock - allowing you to work a little harder = longer time = more sweat.

Portia
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Is it a brand new one? If so as you progress you will "unlock" more advanced/difficult sections. I use the function where you can string a bunch of exercises together to form your own workout... 30/60/90 minutes of varied stuff makes the time go by faster. You can always get one of the "risers" for the board to make the stepping more difficult too.

Have fun!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    along with the raiser, (which makes the balance board like a stepper) they also have things to make the wii remote heavier so its like a weight, you could always add ankle and wrist weights
  • kelleyo68
    Options
    It is true that the better you get at the easy level it will open up harder levels. You can increase your movements to "pump it up" a little to, add hand weights to the step aerobics and running. I just got the Wii Active, that is pretty good. Much more intense and you can have a trainer set up your work outs or pick ones that you want yourself.
  • LNXlady
    Options
    Since you don't need the controllers for the step aerobics once it starts, you can use light dumbells to add some bicep curls, tricep extensions, ect. The strength exercises seem better than the cardio selection, though. But now that you have the Wii and the balance board you might want to look at some of the other fitness programs available for it, like the EA Sports Active series.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Once you open the next level they do get harder. I do the boxing, the free run, the island cycling is another good one. I also do the free step that is a 20 minute one and I have even done those with weights the wii doesn't give me extra calories for the weights, but I know they are there.

The obstacle course is fun when you get to the advanced level.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    woww thanks for the great tips everyone!!! i might get a raiser to make it more difficult! i cant wait for the harder levels to unlock! i guess im impatient loll. i didnt even know there was a kung fu workout and i dont even see kickboxing yet! im still glad i got it at a way discounted price but im excited to see what else will unlock!
  • mrksjia
    mrksjia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have step raiser and ankle & wrist weights. I have created sort of my own 'gym' with lots of different Wii fitness games (see my listmania at Amazon below). I mostly do EA Sports Active and EA Sports Active More Workouts combined with Wii Fit Plus and New U Fitness First and am really looking forward to finally getting my Zumba for Wii (hopefully next week).
    This is my Gym: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wii-Gym-home/lm/R2YQSQRGWUPRFS/ref=cm_lmt_dtpa_f_3_rdssss1