Any sense in drinking protein shake before workout?

Options
Just wondering about timing with absorption rate and technical stuff.
Bottom line it for me people. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    take it after your workout...not before.
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    Well I'm no scientists but I heard after a workout your body is craving nutrients and so that's why they say to drink it after also I know if I drink one before I would feel sick..All that liquid sloshing around; and those things fill you you up!
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    My brother lifts weights and is an ICU R.N. He drinks a protien shake about an hour before going to the gym.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you workout early in the morning you may notice a difference. I'm an early riser and then off to the gym. I have had 1/2 or 1/4 shake prior to going and it sometimes helps boost my energy. Always have something after to replace some of what you just burnt off.
    If you workout in the middle of the day you may not notice anything, but it can't hurt to try it out.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely after work out.
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink mine before my workout and sometimes I sip on it while I am working out. I do it so the protein is available as soon as possible to my body. Also if you get it out of the way as it is one less thing to worry about when you are trying to get out of the gym and home to see the wife & kids.
  • djryan1194
    Options
    Yes. Protein AFTER your workout. Eat healthy carbs an hour or so before your workout. That's what will fuel you and provide energy. Not protein. The protein will help rebuild your muscles and recover after a workout.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yes. Protein AFTER your workout. Eat healthy carbs an hour or so before your workout. That's what will fuel you and provide energy. Not protein. The protein will help rebuild your muscles and recover after a workout.

Agreed.