Excersise/scales

Options
Hi all,

Love the site. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question.

Why is it that when I excersise the scale goes up? It happens all the time. Yesterday I didn't go over 1200 calories, I walked about an hour, but when I got on the scale this morning it was 2lbs more than it was the prevoius day. Other days I eat the same amount, have no excersise and the scale goes down. Whats up with that?

Anything to shed light on this woiuld be great. I love to work out, but get discoraged when the scale goes up and I feel like my whole weeks weight that I worked so hard to drop just came back.

Thanks in advance. Have a wonderful day!

Replies

• omkranti
    Options
    Hi all,

Love the site. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question.

Why is it that when I excersise the scale goes up? It happens all the time. Yesterday I didn't go over 1200 calories, I walked about an hour, but when I got on the scale this morning it was 2lbs more than it was the prevoius day. Other days I eat the same amount, have no excersise and the scale goes down. Whats up with that?

Anything to shed light on this woiuld be great. I love to work out, but get discoraged when the scale goes up and I feel like my whole weeks weight that I worked so hard to drop just came back.

Thanks in advance. Have a wonderful day!
  • Juliebean
    Options
    This may be because of your water intake. If you're retaining water or if you're not getting enough water to flush out your body, both could cause the scale to go up. Also, make sure you're eating your exercise calories. There are several posts in regards to this issue. If you are only eating 1200 calories in a day and are exercising 200 of them off, you're going to be sending your body into starvation mode and it's not going to result in a weight loss. Another possibility is that you're actually turning fat into muscle. I've noticed that my scale hasn't been moving lately, but I can tell a difference in the way that my clothes fit. Keep up the great work! You'll see results eventually, I promise! :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    This may be because of your water intake. If you're retaining water or if you're not getting enough water to flush out your body, both could cause the scale to go up. Also, make sure you're eating your exercise calories. There are several posts in regards to this issue. If you are only eating 1200 calories in a day and are exercising 200 of them off, you're going to be sending your body into starvation mode and it's not going to result in a weight loss. Another possibility is that you're actually turning fat into muscle. I've noticed that my scale hasn't been moving lately, but I can tell a difference in the way that my clothes fit. Keep up the great work! You'll see results eventually, I promise! :flowerforyou:

So true!! Try to get at the very least your eight 8's in. At the very least!
  • omkranti
    Options
    I have a really hard time drinking water, so that very well could be it.

So you're saying that when I don't drink enough water it results in my body retaining water?

Interesting.

btw...I'm a tax accountant, so this is really out of the scope of my knowlege. :) It's great to learn things like this.
  • Juliebean
    Options

So you're saying that when I don't drink enough water it results in my body retaining water?

Interesting.

btw...I'm a tax accountant, so this is really out of the scope of my knowlege. :) It's great to learn things like this.

I don't know about that part... I just know that from my own personal experience, on weeks where I have had at least 8-10 glasses of water a day I usually have a loss of anywhere from 2-6 pounds. On the weeks that I don't have that much water daily, I lose almost nothing. Sometimes it's a struggle just to lose 1 pound. That being said, drink up! :drinker:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

Interesting.

Yes, it's like when you starve your body, you retain weight because your body shuts down and holds on. What I do is try to get at least 3 of my 32oz water bottles down a day. When I work out, I try for more, because when you prespire, that's water you need to replace.
  • nicole777
    nicole777 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i also had the same problem. i did the treadmill for an hour a day and started gaining weight. i got so discouraged i gave up for a week and by the time i tried to get back into working out daily, i couldnt do it. people kept telling me it was muscle gain, but its so depressing when you think you're doing so good and then you gain weight.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

Here's an article link I never tire of posting (or reading), that explains why the scale is all freaky.:flowerforyou: