Migraine and headaches

Options
I've been dieting for over 3 weeks now and had a bit of success.

Unfortunately i've now started getting headaches and migraines more frequently. This can be quite debilitating as i get quite a strong aura and it leaves me quite tired for up to a couple of days.

I'm eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and get about half an hour walk a day. I'm sure I'm getting enough nutrition as i get a good varied diet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help reduce the chance of migraines?

Replies

• LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I also have a migraine disorder which causes visual disturbances. But mine's brought on more from stress rather than diet. You may want to doublecheck with your physician as to the causes and frequency. It could be more than just a lack of vitamins, etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    water. I noticed the last week or so that I was feeling lethargic and headachy, and now am making myself drink more water (plus think of the added exercise having to run upstairs to the loo more often!!!).

Last week I had a silent migraine for the first time for ages, so I know how you feel.

I think it is mostly the change in activity - for me the trigger MAY have been yoga, so i will be a bit more gentle on myself this week!! If you are also changing your diet, reducing sugar could have an impact - do you know what usually triggers your migraines? Hopefully it will calm itself down once your body gets into it.
  • LJPurvis
    Options
    I too get migraines. I used to suffer through them (although that meant a dark room for a day or two). I now keep Imitrex (sp?) with me at all times. You need to see your doctor to get the prescription.

I find my migraines are brought on by stress and/or alcohol and lack of water (sometimes I drink too much coffee and not enough water for days at a time). I have been watching my water intake and it has helped. No need for the prescription very often.

You do need to find out what are the causes of your migraines and try to remove those from your life.

Good luck.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can't offer advice other than back off of the dieting and see if it has a positive effect. I get those really bad headaches, bordering on migraines, if I dont get enough food, I dont get enough water, or if I work out too hard OR sometimes after certain lifting exercises that work my shoulders and neck.

Is your only exercise walking or are you sporadically doing other exercises? How much water are you drinking daily? Your 1200 to 1500 calories...what foods are making them up? Are you taking any supplements? What is the timing of your caloric intake vs the timing of the onset of the headaches? Do you have a history of migraines?
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is there a new "diet food" you've started eating frequently? My husband has ocular migraines and his are triggered by certain types of foods and lighting. Usually its a processed food (lunchmeat, hot dogs, mentos gum, etc). I buy foods with minimal processing or when we're just hungry for a hot dog or whatever I buy products without nitrates and fillers. It has cut down on migraines significanty. Too much or too little sleep could also be the problem?
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I too get migraines. Not fun or funny. Mine are stress related. Also sugar related. If I eat too much sugar,which I'm not supposed to have any, it triggers it. I would see the Dr. for info.
  • boxingsquirrel
    Options
    It's never really occured to me before... I think i maybe am drinking more coffee when i would have had a snack before. I normally drink de-caff at work but never replaced it when it was finished (by someone else!).

I used to get a trigger from training for rugby, aparently it was a jaw clenching thing. Normally, recently, it's been stress and lack of sleep that have set them off which is the last thing you need when there's a deadline!

Thanks everyone. It's hard to see the obvious sometimes!
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have read many things in the past that magnesium supplements can sometimes help prevent migraines/headaches, but as many have said already, there are a ton of triggers and each person has a different trigger. I've suffered with migraines (I also get cluster migraines and headaches which means mine can last for 3 to 7 days sometimes) since I was in middle school and it has taken a lot of work to figure out what my triggers are. I've found that stress, lack of sleep and hormonal chnages are all triggers for me so I try to do whatever possible to avoid whatever I can. I recently had a cluster migraine that last 8 days and was so disappointed that week as watching what I ate and exercise was difficult while laying in bed in a dark room for days...very discouraging and I was only in week 4 of my weight loss.

I have prescriptions for my migraines and take Aleve to try and prevent them from getting worse, but I think it's mostly my body telling me I need the rest. Definitely make sure you're keeping hydrated on a daily basis, especially with a headache or migraine.

Try taking some notes when you feel the headaches/migraines coming on and note what you've been eating, drinking, and doing in your lifestyle. Also, have you recently withdrawn from caffeine or anything like that with your diet? If so that might definitely be the problem.

Good luck!!! It's such a set back, but once you've taken care of yourself get back up and start over!
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for over 3 weeks now and had a bit of success.

Unfortunately i've now started getting headaches and migraines more frequently. This can be quite debilitating as i get quite a strong aura and it leaves me quite tired for up to a couple of days.

I'm eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and get about half an hour walk a day. I'm sure I'm getting enough nutrition as i get a good varied diet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help reduce the chance of migraines?

I went on a detox a few years ago, buit had to give up after just a week, as coming off caffein cold turkey gave me terrible headaches :sick: . Is there any stimulant which you are having less of? Coffee, tea, fizzy drinks all have high caffein content and could also be adding to your problems (if its not simple dehydration) as its a simple withdrawel symptom :wink:
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Fellow sufferer - aura and everything! Sometimes I get just an aura with no pain after, and sometimes I get the aura with headache after aura is finished. My auras last for about 20 minutes. When headache follows, the headache lasts about 4 hours, with soreness after for days.

Mine are triggered by hormones and funny enough, but changes in activity levels. Any time I start a new workout program, I may get a few stray migraines in the beginning. Then, I'll get just headaches (no aura) and eventually my body adjusts and I'm headache free again. I started Turbo Fire 4 weeks ago and got a migraine after my first workout. Now, 4 weeks into it, I am headache free.

There is also a thing called "exercise headaches" which I think have more to do with blood pressure (which also triggers migraines for me sometimes) but maybe some research on that would help. I don't even take anything for my migraine anymore. I have found that two Excedrin the moment my aura starts helps enough.
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey there! I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Unfortunately because your diet journal is locked it is hard for help. If you open it for viewing it might be easier to see if something you are eating is causing the migraines. Certain foods are definately triggers. I've delt with debilitating migraines since I was 13 and I'm 34 now. Only through preventative medication for the last 3 years have I finally gotten it under control. Again, if you'd like to unlock your diary or add me as a friend, I'd be more than happy to take a look for you.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to get awful, awful migraines to the point that my whole life was put on hold, couldn't work, couldn't exercise, all i could do was sleep. I went to my doctor and I even had a head CT done with little resolution to my recurrent problem. All I knew is that i didn't want to start taking migraine meds which can have awful side effects. So i started to look at my diet!!! Ever since I cut on the artificial sweeteners (splenda, diet sodas etc..), cut on processed foods and started hydrating more i noticed my migraines disappeared!! One day I turned to my husband and said "have you noticed I haven't had a migraine in over 3 months" I couldn't believe it!!!! i am convinced my headaches were do to the artificial sweeteners since i was drinking diet soda all day long during that time!!!

Hope this helps!!!

don't know if you take in a lot of artificial sweeteners but take a look at the documentary "Sweet Misery" you can find it free online. Everyone should watch this!!!

Good luck!
  • sillymesillyyou
    sillymesillyyou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from headaches and migraines. The headaches (not migraines) have been much worse on days after exercise. I usually exercise immediately after work and feel fine in the evening, but then the headache develops through the night. It feels very much like a hangover, which would suggest dehydration. It also seems worse if the exercise is more vigorous and I lose more water through sweat. Problem is that I am drinking plenty of water, but I don't seem to absorb it. I've done a bit of reading around (on the internet, so info taken very cautiously) and this suggests the exercise is lowering my salt levels and stopping me from absorbing the water. A suggestion is to have a glass of tomato juice after exercise, which should help you absorb the water you drink after. I have tried this and found that it worked for a couple of months, but since joining MFP I have found it less effective - maybe you could try that through, it might be effective for you. The things I am now trying and have worked over the past couple of weeks are:

1. Increasing my water intake through the day prior to exercise (about 2.5 litres / ~ 10 cups) between the hours of 8am and 4.30pm, so that I definitely fully hydrated to start off with. It should be plain water, not counting things like fizzy drinks - having fizzy drinks contributes to my headaches and migraines.
    2. Making sure I do a cooldown - I tend to walk for 5 minutes after harder exercise (also tend to sip my water through this walk).

(I am also continuing with the tomato juice, as I think this may help.)

The other thing I have thought about as being a cause is blocked nasal passages and sinuses and sometimes they also hurt. Making sure they are clear before and after exercise might help, e.g. a sniff of olbas oil or vix, etc.

I'm not a doctor, but just someone who has similar experience. You should go to the doctors as well as possibly considering the above. I went to the doctor and they have managed to prescribe me some good medication for migraine attacks, but they can't find a reason for the headaches. Just one of those things I suppose, so I am trying my own ways of figuring out the causes.
  • sillymesillyyou
    sillymesillyyou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The doctor also told me to avoid having dietary supplements like vitamin or mineral pills, as they could make things worse.

My migraine triggers are:

- Fizzy and sugary drinks
    - Alcohol (even in small amounts)
    - Dehydration
    - Tiredness
    - Stress
    - Being in poor quality air-conditioned buildings
    - Irregular sleep patterns (i.e. I can't lie in)
    - Over-heating (i.e. hot days and from exercise)
    - MSG (I think - have been pretty ill a few times after eating stuff with it in).

Maybe you could try and figure out if any of these could be causing your problems by removing/solving them and seeing if it has an effect. Avoiding these things a probably good for your health in general anyway, so can't do any harm.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines, sometimes for a week at a time. Since losing weight, my migraines have became less frequent, most probably because I'm drinking a lot more water than I used to. I had an awful migraine last Thursday that I couldn't shake, but I went to a walk to relax, and it had cleared by the time I got home!

Previously, when I tried losing weight, I would have monitored my sugar intake very closely, but a lack of sugar gave me a migraine!! So now I eat plenty of fruit, and I always keep some boiled sweets in my car or handbag.

It would be very helpful if you could make your diary public, as there could be a number of things giving you the migraine other than dehydration. I know of some people who would take a migraine from eating too much wheat, or like me, too little sugar.
  • etroupe
    Options
    I too suffer from migraines and have all the same symptoms as everyone else. one of my triggers that has not been mentioned above is bright lights, if something shiney flashes in my eyes for too long it will also trigger a Migraine. Lack of sleep or too much sleep, too much caffeine or a sudden drop in caffeine if I have been drinking it for a long period, stress, lack of water or missing meals. If i feel a migraine coming on I drink a high caffeinated drink coffee or pop, it prevents my migraine from becoming full blown...(was informed by my Dr) hope you are able to get them under control : )
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Zest magazine have an article on headaches this month. Among those things suggested for relieving headaches are botox, supplements such as Co-Q10 and also Vitamin B2 in the morning (takes about 3 months to show and effect and making sure you are fully hydrated throughout the day.

Possible causes are listed as skipping meals - are you doing this (apparently the most common dietary cause)? Cheese, red wine, chocolate, citrus fruit, coffee, MSG, fatty foods, ice cream, soy sauce and miso. Also low blood sugar can spark a migraine.

I would pull back on the diet a bit and see how that helps, plus make sure you are getting adequate sleep and are not putting tension into your muscles. So the losing weight thing may take a bit longer, but I know what I'd rather choose.

if that doesn't help, see a doctor.
  • bridred8
    bridred8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has mentioned, make sure you are getting enough water. Also look at your food log and see if any new foods are triggering it. My brother gets migraines after eating MSG, which is a flavor addative/preserver in LOTS of foods, especially processed foods, chinese and in lots of meats. I suffer as well, but mine are hormone related.