REALLY? CUPCAKE ADDS?!

Options
I just have to say that when I logged in this morning I was not exactly happy to see an add for cupcakes down the right side of my MFP screen! Like come on! I have enough cupcake problems with out seeing one first thing in the morning! I will now be thinking about cupcakes all day! Some one @ MFP really wasnt thinking with that one!

Sorry just had to throw that out there!:mad:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't pick the adds, MFP is free because of the way it is set up and the ads keep it free.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    only answer to that is use google chrome of firefox as your search engine!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one... the cupcake one kills me. I'd rather see the bariatric surgery ad.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I noticed you are new...this has been discussed several times. They do the ads ... that is what enables this to be a free site...they get the money from the advertisers instead of us. You might see anything. And...cupcakes are ok in limited amounts/times. Just try to ignore the ads that bother you. Good luck on your journey and welcome to MFP!:flowerforyou:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does make a temptation....for me....I don't like cupcakes or many dessert foods....but I do see how that could tempt people into snacking....FIGHT THE TEMPTATION....lol....
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I love cup cakes..lol cakes too
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the ads to some extent are determinned by the subject matter of the page.

if there is a thread about giving up cup cakes, and cup cakes are mentioned allthe time, cup cakes will be the subject of the ads.

cup cakes cup cakes cup cakes.

maybe there will be an ad about cup cakes on this one soon :D
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont even notice the ads most of the time
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's probably context-sensitive ads based around the site, your location and, depending on the engine, what other sites you've been browsing or Googling. I've currently got "all you can eat, 70% off in London", macaroons and diet shakes!

Not entirely MFP's fault, but they could be a little more discriminating!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    temptation is everywhere
  • artteachku
    artteachku Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes are better than the Lipo suction add that was a the top of my screen. Geeeez.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mine always says, "ALL YOU CAN EAT IN LIVERPOOL" - (it can obviously tell I live near Liverpool, UK). I'm quite amused by it really!

I agree with a pp though that the ads make MFP free.

(I use Firefox and still get ads)
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't pick the adds, MFP is free because of the way it is set up and the ads keep it free.

I figured it was that way. I just wondered why 99% of the time it is adds for weight loss or excersise stuff and today..,,,Cupcakes!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use a program called "adblock plus" that was free to use for Firefox. I have no ads anywhere on my fitnesspal or on facebook or anywhere. I'm sure you could change the preferences to allow them on certain sites if you want to. You may want to check something like that out!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    don't think of it as being "deprived" but rather "empowered"... I have learned to tell those silly cupcakes to shut up when they talk to me, LOL
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    their are cupcakes that you can make that are lower in everything if you'd like the recipe. Shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.
  • Richelleen
    Options
    YES.. i understand how they advertise, but i thought the exact same thing when i looked up and saw this beautiful dark chocolate with aqua blue icing swirled up with sprinkles..lol.. in fact, it's on the side of my screen right now..lol.. ad is for living social ottawa one day deals...lol.. hmmmm.. don't know what i've been browsing..lol..
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    YES.. i understand how they advertise, but i thought the exact same thing when i looked up and saw this beautiful dark chocolate with aqua blue icing swirled up with sprinkles..lol.. in fact, it's on the side of my screen right now..lol.. ad is for living social ottawa one day deals...lol.. hmmmm.. don't know what i've been browsing..lol..

yes! Ontario deals!!!!! The cupcake one is fro kitchener!!!

Ps your description totally made it worse!!! lol
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

I figured it was that way. I just wondered why 99% of the time it is adds for weight loss or excersise stuff and today..,,,Cupcakes!

From what I understand, it has to do with your browsing history. My ads are "File your taxes for free" (been doing taxes lately) and "Brain Training Games".... not sure why that's there? So have you secretly been waking up in the middle of the night to search cupcake images on google???? :huh: :wink:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I always have ads for weight loss surgery and ive never browesed any sites about that lol