Encouraging Others...

Options
...I'm not naive. I know you can't MAKE someone care enough about themselves to take the trouble to take better care of themselves.

But what was it that made YOU want to get healthy?
- - - - -

Only read on if you feel like it:
I'm extremely curious about what exactly made others decide to start paying attention to nutrition and fitness.
I have a very, very good friend that has various impending health issues (hi BP, hi cholesterol, pre diabetes..) I know that paying attention to diet and exercise is not a magic bullet and there are no guarantees that the conditions will GO AWAY... but I honestly feel that there is enough evidence that she could improve her diagnosis or at least decrease the amount of medication she has to take. Plus I think she would feel better in general.

Any inspiring stories would help!!

Replies

• KristenAnn711
    Options
    ...I'm not naive. I know you can't MAKE someone care enough about themselves to take the trouble to take better care of themselves.

- - - - -

I'm extremely curious about what exactly made others decide to start paying attention to nutrition and fitness.
    I have a very, very good friend that has the triple whammy of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. I know that paying attention to diet and exercise is not a magic bullet and there are no guarantees that the conditions will GO AWAY... but I honestly feel that there is enough evidence that she could improve her diagnosis or at least decrease the amount of medication she has to take. Plus I think she would feel better in general.

Heart Attack. Stroke. Losing a limb, going blind....all possible with those conditions. I don't know how likely or anything, but if someone told me that, I think I'd change my tune. Im sure her doctor has given her all of that information.
  • ebonybliss
    Options
    My family has a history of obesity with high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea. I just don't want to be another statistic. I have a problem with food. I eat until I want to burst and I love the feeling. I am changing that now so I don't have to be so obsessed with food. I need to eat to live, not live to eat! this site is really helping me.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    1. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The doctor said to cut out red meat, flours, sugars, etc. The pills cost $112 a month which I didn't want to spend the money on so I figured I had to change something. I have not cut out red meat - we're venison eaters. I didn't cut out my whole wheat bread at first but the last few weeks I have and my digestive system seems to be doing a lot better (TMI - I'm emptying out which is wonderful). I feel no pain from the FM anymore unless I have a huge amount of added sugar the day before (we're talking 100g which I have done). So I do think it was my diet and my lack of fitness that was causing it.

2. My dad is on dialysis (which means end stage renal failure - his kidneys don't work anymore). He was diagnosed with Diabetes less than 20 years ago and he never controlled it. He now can't feel his feet. His fingers tingle and the dialysis 3x a week wipes him out. My older brother was diagnosed last December. He's controlling it. I don't want to be the next one in my family to get it. I never had the weight problems they did but my eating habits were just as bad (lots of carbs and sugars).

I think Diabetes can be controlled for a long time with a good diet and exercise. My brother has lost about 70 pounds. The first info I got his blood sugar numbers dropped in half. I just found out that they dropped in half again (yes they were very, very high). He doesn't want to become my father and he's doing it. He's had to give up foods that he loves to eat but understands that his health is more important than what he is shoving in his mouth.
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well...personal issues caused me choose to start being unhealthy...but I decided since all three of those (high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes, as well as my mom having heart issue) also run in my family, and that the issues that were going on at home were not an excuse....it was time for me to think about me for a change and take care of business! Plus I found out I like how I feel. Besides....who doesn't want to try to live forever?
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    family history with/
    -cancer
    -heart attacks
    -stroke
    -osteoperosis
    -blood pressure <--i started having hypertension. The first sign I'm following gma's footsteps. There's a direct correlation to my weight/eating habits.
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My mom died from complications of Gastric Bypass surgery and everyone in my family is obese, except for me and my husband. I don't want my baby girl to loose her mommy!
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I decided to because I have asthma and had what I call, an almost blown asthma attack, and it scared the crap out of me. Over weight, asthma, high cholesterol, insulan resistant, yeah, I get it. I let myself go after falling in July and dislocating and fracturing my right (dominate) elbow and then had to have the radial head replaced. You get in a funk and just don't care. Well, you live and learn. Got off my *kitten* and decided I wanted to live. I have an 8 yr daughter I need to be here for. So making these good choices has helped me lose weight but health wise, I feel 10 times better!!!! Thanks to MFP, you peeps and Zumba! LOL But esp thanks to myself!!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease which attacks connective tissue and my heart. Its also a mix of lupus, scleroderma and polymyositis. After the feeling of helplessness left me I started reasearching all I could. In order for me to live a somewhat normal life I have to make my heart stronger and eat as healthy as I can. Even though I have set backs from periods of being sick I feel much better. My down periods are becoming fewer. I now have a plan and something I can do to improve my health. I have a family that needs me. A son who deserves a Mom with life. :)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options

- - - - -

I have a very, very good friend that has the triple whammy of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. I know that paying attention to diet and exercise is not a magic bullet and there are no guarantees that the conditions will GO AWAY... but I honestly feel that there is enough evidence that she could improve her diagnosis or at least decrease the amount of medication she has to take. Plus I think she would feel better in general.

She has to want to change, all the diabetic problems come later in life, thats the problem. The future always seems so far away and it's prevention now that she needs.

My uncle had type 2 diabetes for 5 years before he was no longer diabetic. He started to eat properly, take his medication and lose weight.

If only i was that lucky, I have all the above, Diabetic since 15, (Type 1 so cannot be fixed) tbh if she can't motivate herself No body else will be able to
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My mom went to the ER with heart problems. A week later, my dad had a stroke. This is what it took for me to get serious about my health. I knew that I wasn't taking care of myself. I knew I would feel better if I ate right and exercised. I knew that I have a high risk of type II diabetes. But seeing my dad in the code room really shook me up.

I think this is a personal, internal decision people have to make. I don't know if you can force it on someone. But I don't know you or your friend.
  • Aitenev
    Options
    For me it was pretty much the same things everyone has already mentioned...family history of hbp, diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. When my doctor put me on hbp medications he said I would probably be on them the rest of my life. I asked if diet, losing weight and exercise could get me down to where I didn't need the meds and he said he doubted it. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to be told that I CAN'T do something. It just makes me try harder to prove them wrong. And in this case I succeeded. In just under a year, I reduced the blood pressure, cholesterol numbers, triglyceride numbers and blood sugar. And best of all...I feel great!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories -

the truth is that I was hoping that I could spare my friend her own 'scary' moment of reckoning, but I'm figuring out that aside from trying to set a good example as a buddy (<== I'm only human :grumble: :blushing: ) and maybe trying to share this site with her, that there's not much you can do to make someone realize that it's less work to take care of oneself now, rather than wait till things take a turn for the worse... :frown:
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My friend invited me to join this site to support her in her goal to lose 70 pounds. This came a year after my doctor had told me that I had gained a couple pounds a year all through my 30s and if the trend continued, I would be overweight in my 40s. So I had taken 8 pounds off in the following year on my own. Then I joined my fitness pal and took an additional 25 pounds off over the following 5 months and have stayed on and maintained that weight for the last 4 months. Diabetes runs in my family and I am the only one in my immediately family who is not overweight and I didn't want it to happen to me. I really believe that diet can control many ailments. My Dad had controlled his diabetes with diet for a long time, then stopped paying attention to what he eats and had to start taking pills for his diabetes again. I have a friend who controls her asthma with her diet. One of my fellow volunteers at our local animal shelter was severely allergic to cats, which obviously hindered her love of volunteering to help the homeless animals...until she found a diet that completely took her allergies away!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I was sick and tired of being sick and tired! I went to the dr and had a complete work-up for headaches, dizziness, and generally feeling like poo. Had an MRI, bloodwork, EKG... the whole 9! Nothing came back bad except a B12 deficiency. The only thing working against me was the fact that I was overweight and in the worst shape of my life. In high school and in my 20s I was in great shape, 21% body fat and built like a brick... well ya know ;) 10 years and 3 babies later I was flabby and gross. I simply wanted "hottie" back. 7 months later I am back to 26% body fat (down from about 40% last July) Not quite there yet, but I feel so much better and I am starting to see cuts in my muscles and my sone says I'm ripped, LOL Down to a size 10 from 16/18! My kids are probably my biggest motivators. I have 2 boys, when it was just them being overweight didn't make me feel quite as bad b/c I didn't feel an intesnse need to be a fit mom... let's face it, men lose easier so if they developed weight issues I know they could have conquered them. Then I had a girl. That changed my outlook. I don't want her to grow up seeing a fat mom. Don't get me wrong, I never want her to be superficial or put so much emphasis on looks and body type that she becomes one of 'those' girls and it's an unhelathy thing. She just gave me a new perspective on setting a good example for them, all 3 of them. And I do see changes in them too. The boys watch little things like serving sizes and nutrition information on what they're eating, not that it always stops them from eating their snack cakes and junk :) They are at least aware of what they're eating, that's an awareness I never had as a kid and it can't be a bad thing, ya know? My oldest is constantly reading cookbooks and my magazines now too and telling other people why they shouldn't eat trans fats and why too many carbs are harmful and how they can cause unhealthy spikes in insulin production.... yadda yadda yadda. It took me feeling bad to be motivated to start this journey and it has taken learning how to feel good again to press on.... inspiring others along the way has just been a bonus!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was just released from the hospital a month ago after having an emergency heart catheterization at age 43. I had to say goodbye to my 2 small sobbing children (thinking I might possibly never see them again.) While waiting for surgery, I only had time to write down a few brief notes to my little boy and girl and husband about the things I wanted them to know in case I did not make it. I wept over tear-stained pages for my children who would have no mother, and my husband who would have no wife. I wept over all the things I had wanted to accomplish in my life and all the things I had wanted to share with my kids. I was heartbroken that I had failed my children. They needed a mother to protect them, care for them and love them and I had failed them. My anguish was beyond anything I have ever experienced. I prayed for their futures and for my own peace of mind as the hours ticked away before my surgery. Finding a well of stillness and peace within my grief, I went into the operating room calm and resigned to whatever happened.

I have no words for the relief and resolve I am experiencing now that I survived the procedure and live to tell of my experience. I know that I now have absolutely no choice but to fight for my life every single day of the time that remains. This is my one wild and precious life and it is worth fighting for.

There were literally hundreds of heart patients lined up at the hospital, and thousands more scheduled on into the future waiting for surgery to save their lives. The feeling of resignation and stubborn disregard hung in the air over the cardiac unit like a dense fog. Perhaps because every patient I saw was old enough to be my parent or grandparent, I just got so incredibly angry at myself for having ended up in that situation. Each new doctor, technician or aide who came to treat me seemed shocked to see me there. In the cardiac cath lab, they literally said, "What are YOU doing here?" I had a lot of explaining to do, mainly to myself. The fact that the surgeon said I was a victim of my heredity did little to assuage my anguish. How had I let things get so out of control? When had I given up on myself and stopped trying?

I am on a journey now. A lifelong journey, not of dieting and counting calories, but of making moment-to-moment choices that will directly affect the quality and QUANTITY of the rest of my life. The heart condition that put me in the emergency room this week can be controlled by medication and will not require surgery only IF I do my part in saving my own life. I am the active catalyst here, not medical intervention. It is my life to save, my heart to heal. I am taking matters into my strong and capable hands. I have been through some major trials in my life and come out of them stronger, and I will master this too. I must.

Consider the alternative to not trying... There is nothing like facing death to make you value your life.

My advice to anyone struggling to get healthy-
    Do not give up. Fight for your life. Every effort you contribute is worth it. Keep going. Keep moving forward. Fall ten times, stand up eleven. Moment to moment choices are what determine your fate. Keep trying. It WILL work and you WILL succeed. Please give yourself another chance. It's never too late.

I have at least 90 pounds still to lose, but I cannot give up. I have too much to live for and so do you.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    when I realized I have no health insurance or $$ to even die!:noway: ...as I get older anything that feels wrong in my body makes me think im dieing,:sad: so I said "enough with the fast food that feeds cancer cells and lets get in shape!!!":flowerforyou:
  • blue_drgn
    blue_drgn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend. She's lucky to have you!
    Unfortunately you can't make her care. Try asking her to help you, maybe she'll be excited about the things she learns and will try to do some herself...
    Maybe she's afraid to fail.... I myself have not told anyone outside MFP that I am trying to loose the weight.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Maybe she's afraid to fail.... I myself have not told anyone outside MFP that I am trying to loose the weight.

Great job on the 14# lost!

Thanks for the insight!! You know what, without turning this into a long thread about my own issues, I do relate to that;
    for me there is the fear of failure and also the fear of success. :noway: :huh: <== they are almost the same thing to me.
  • Lynnhilaire
    Options
    I started paying attention because I am getting older and I am fortunate not to have diabetes, or HB pressure so far. I knew that if I did not start taking care of myself it will hit me soon, because both of my parents had the above.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    After taking care of others for so many years, I decided it was time I started caring for myself. The timing was right to put some effort into the impression I was making on the "outside world." I owe so much to MFP and my wonderful peeps! Thanks everyone!