back surgery and core exercises

Nursejuliej
Nursejuliej Posts: 13
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Nine weeks ago I had a L4-L5 microdiscectomy. My neurosurgeon is very conservative and won't allow me to get Physical Therapy until I'm12 weeks post surgery. I'm allowed to do cardio on machines and some isolated weights that don't involve the core at all. I spoke with the physical therapist and he said that most doctors allow core exercises by this point. My low back gets really stiff when I've been very active. It's just weak. I'm anxious to do some minimal core strengthening at home. Has anyone out there been through this? If so, when did you start doing core stuff and what did you do?

Replies

• My husband had a discectomy at L5-S1 and he was told to get up and move immediately after surgery. The procedure was outpatient and we went home the same day. The next day we got up and walked around our neighborhood. We did this every evening until we moved to our new house. He started PT maybe 3 weeks post op. His doctor also recommened swimming for him. It is a great way to have the cardio and work the core without having the effects of gravity. It may be benificial to have a second opinion. I'm not a Dr, but I do know that is what we did for my husband and he (knock on really hard wood surface) has not had back pain in a while. The only restriction he had was he could not bend over for 4 weeks but he did want him walking as much as possible. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • hi, I have had L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4 decompression surgery about a year and a half ago, and my physiotherapist gave me exercises to do when I was discharged from hospital one week after surgery. They were all core/abdominal strengthening exercises - but perhaps refer to your physical therapist before attempting this - each patient and condition is unique and its not worth damaging your spine more than it is already just because I was given exercises to do.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Your doctor seems over conservative. Would you consider getting a second opinion?
  • I am glad you asked this question...I too had a L5-S1 microdiscetomy in 2006. I now have a herniated L4 and am in constant pain. I am hoping to reduce the chance of surgery by doing some physical therapy and exercises on my own, but I am not sure what to do. My surgeon never sent me to PT so I have no exercises that I do on a regular basis and my core is just as weak as it was before I had surgery...HELPPPPP!!
  • Thanks for the answers. I've decided to use my common sense on this one and listen to my back. At the gym this morning I did some planks and superman isometric's exercises. No pain to my back during this and I can't possibly see how doing these kind of exercises would re-herniate it. I will know tomorrow if I'm in pain,but so far no stiffness.
This discussion has been closed.