Do any of you notice that you have days when you feel depres

Options
I mean, I am proud of the weight coming off. I still feel motivated to stay on track. But today, I woke up and started crying about everything. My son is deployed and I worry about him constantly. My other son is doing well, but we have a slightly strained relationship because of his relationship choices (I know, Iknow - I'm a controlling mother! LOL). But all-in-all, my life is good and my diet is going great. I keep thinking that there could be a connection to my diet in some way that makes me feel down at times...Any thoughts??

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Its common for caloric reduction to have an effect on mood and such. Studies show one of the best supplements to counter these natural effects is excercise that follows a consistant increase in intensity, which helps level mood :o)
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Some days - we all just need to cry. Having one son gone and one wayward can make it stressful for anyone, then you are adding the stress of dieting. Perhaps you should go out and grab and coffee with a friend and just have that person listen to everything that is going on with you. A little companionship might be just the thing that you need.

And you can always vent on here anytime you want :-)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There can definitely be a connection. A few years back when I first got really serious about fitness, I cut my fats dramatically. I often found myself depressed, tired, and emotionally drained. I had my blood tested and found that I was really low in Omega 3's. Since then I've made an effort to not view fats as the enemy (within moderation of course) and to make sure I'm getting healthy levels of Omega 3's. Some great sources are flax seed, salmon, and chia seeds. Adding extra B vitamins as supplements can help as well.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Is it Period time? That would start the cryin' as well...We are humans we have feelin's no matter what we do in life. It's okay to cry - I hope you have shoulder to cry on - If not you can message me *hugs* :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Work in some fish or nuts and try adding a B vitamin supplement. I had to do this after having my son and it really helped. I didn't want to take anything stronger because I was nursing. B-12 supplements are relatively cheap mood boosters. Working in extra workouts may help as well. Winter is so dreary, try getting a little walk in the sun and opening some curtains to lift your spirits. Don't be too hard on yourself, a good cry can cure alot. Just set a limit and then get going again!
  • dmwood
    dmwood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life that is emotionally draining. Sometimes we just need to cry and release that negative energy. ((HUG))

If you haven't already, try to remove caffeine, high fat food and sugary foods. Eating things like walnuts can give you good fat/oils and whole grains can boost your mood. Do you take vitamins? Vitamin B can help your mood. Getting some sunshine on you everyday can help also. Open your curtains, stand by a sunny window, take a walk in the morning, etc... Are you getting enough sleep? A good nights rest can make a big difference. If you already eat healthy and take your vitamins it could be the personal issues. I don't know your situation but maybe with your kids grown you are lonely. Try a new hobby, try to reconnect with your son. Maybe even relax a bit and give his relationship a fair chance - try to get to know is partner. Hang out with friends or make new friends. Laughter helps beat depression too. :) Good luck!
  • CrazyC8
    Options
    There are many studies that link low-fat diets to depression. If you are cutting back fat too much, add it back into your diet.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a connection between food & emotion. And let me jump out and say food & medication.
    Now add food, emotions, and medication - it's not a pretty combination.

From one service member to another service member's family - keeping all our deployed military in prayer and those family members home.