Anybody regret the major they took in college?

Options
We've all heard the story before where the parent doesn't really support what the child wants to do with their life. So to please their parents the child changes their major to what will they think they might like as a career just to please mommy/daddy.

I recently changed my major from fashion merchandising [my dream] to nursing [my moms dream]. I don't think I would mind having a job in nursing at all but in order to get that job I would have to go to school for FIVE years [if i don't fail any classes]. Right now I just cannot see myself going to school for five long years and taking 5 semesters worth of sciences. I feel like if my mom wants me to do what she wants me to do she should at least try to keep me motivated. I feel like I'm still not getting the support I need.

Has anybody graduated from college and ended up regretting what they received their degree for? Or ended up changing their major midway into being finished? I need some advice...

Replies

• BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm in college currently and have had pressure from parents to switch from Nursing to Pre-Med, but haven't.

My advice is don't do a job unless you love it. Sooo many people go into nursing thinking the pay is good and there will always be a job. I think that nursing is the type of job that if you don't go in loving it, you will come out hating it (you may even hate it if you go in loving it)

Do what you love the first time around, this is what you're going to spend the next 40-60 years doing...
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Getyour LPN to start alot of places you can get your LPN in 1 year if you go fulltime. My sister ddid this and makes great $$$-- then you can always go back for your RN and some hospitals will even pay for it! Good luck!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I majored in pre-med/biological sciences and minored in chemistry. I've been a nursing assistant for 5 years. I often wished that I just did nursing because it would've been easier and I would have had a good paying wage with a bachelors degree. Now I am 24, wishing that I could start a family in the next 5 years, but knowing that I have 4 more years of medical school and 3 years of residency left. So...any thoughts of kids and a family will be put off until I am in my 30s and just starting a hectic career.

Stick with nursing! You won't regret it!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't get your LPN (aka Little Play Nurse) . LPNs are being phased out. The hospital that I work for...LPNs were allowed to work as nursing assistants, but now they just aren't even hired. LPNs don't work at hospitals. They work at nursing homes because there isn't much use for them in a hospital.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I fully believe that your major has nothing to do with anybody but yourself. You are going to spend the rest of your life possibly doing this job, so why be miserable at it if it is really not what you want to do? And in the end, do you think you will regret not following your dreams? I had one friend that was just doing nursing to make her mom happy b/c her mom and grandmother were nurses, but she changed her major to education..something she really loves. And she is doing way better in school with it and enjoys it a lot more. Overall, it is your life, and you are the one that is going to have to deal with the choices you make in the long run.
  • mfcisthatyou
    Options
    I had the same problem! My dream is to work in audio engineering. I was halfway through my degree when my mother kept putting in my ear that it was a tough field to get into and I needed to be practical. I switched to business to please her. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Business Administration and I am bored out of my mind at my job. Now I'm looking into going back to school for what I originally set out to do and I feel like it's impossible and no one will help me because I already have a degree in a completely different field.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I am an English major with 17 years experience in the field of education. Unfortunately that makes me not very flexible in finding a position outside that field. I have very diverse skills, but when employers see I have had experience being a teacher, they think I can't do anything else. Very frustrating. I am looking for something outside the education field and am having no luck. :(
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    With that being said about LPN-- nursing home my sis works out pays 25$/hr. And they are paying for her to get an RN! Prob depends on the state you live in.
  • hillarydk
    Options
    Do what you LOVE! I graduated with an Art Ed. degree...and I taught for 4 years before I quit (2 kids in 2 years)....I LOVED teaching and I don't REGRET it one bit!
    I'm sure you are a caring person-fashion can be lumped into the caring- (hear me out) YOU can help people feel good about themselves with the clothes they buy! (I'm serious-when I'm in a slup...I'll get a new pair of running shorts...;))
    I hope this helps!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wish I would have got a degree in something more technical. But then I remember I didn't have the math skill to get out of Physics II. Knowing that, I probably would have switched majors out of frustration to what I actually received.

Nursing and Merchandising sound like two different worlds to me. Work is work, you have to enjoy some aspect of your career or you'll be miserable. It's certainly possible to be good at something while being miserable...but the likelyhood is a lot less.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi there... Nursing is definitely not something to get into unless it is YOUR dream- trust me!!! I am a new nurse and am just not feeling it :( I ended up going back to school through unemployment... it all just happened so fast. They said that they would pay for me to go back to school, said how about nursing??? I said sure, why not?!? After all, it went well with my background in Public Health. Before I know it I am plugging along in nursing school (no easy task as a non-traditional student aged single mother of 3) and realize it is just not for me. However, I felt committed to it by that point and now here I am today, an RN. Trust me, this is not a field to get into unless it is your passion. Follow your dreams. You will do just fine with a career in fashion if that is what gets you excited. If you don't do it you will come to resent your mother and always go through life wondering "what if?". Good luck and have fun... college goes by waaaay too quickly!
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have changed my major about a gazillion times. Finally at the age of 28 I am finally back in school with what I truly believe is what I am supposed to be doing which is Environmental Spaitial Analysis or Geographic Information Science. First my major was meteorology, they business, then history, then business again, then just plain ole General Studies since I realized I had no clue, now I finally know after starting in 2000! :bigsmile:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    It's all a balance. You do need to do something you enjoy and you do need to be practical too.

I know people with "impractical" majors who have made great careers but also people who are floundering. It's individual. My best advice is to make sure that you have a skill set. If you have a good skill set (like real, quantifiable skills...not something vague like "people skills") will you do well.
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Do what you LOVE! I graduated with an Art Ed. degree...and I taught for 4 years before I quit (2 kids in 2 years)....I LOVED teaching and I don't REGRET it one bit!
    I'm sure you are a caring person-fashion can be lumped into the caring- (hear me out) YOU can help people feel good about themselves with the clothes they buy! (I'm serious-when I'm in a slup...I'll get a new pair of running shorts...;))
    I hope this helps!

Yes I really am caring and compassionate that's why people always say "oh you'll do good in nursing!" but before nursing my plans were to help people through fashion like you said. I wanted to open up a non profit to help kids love themselves from the inside out and then at the end of the program give them like a fun makeover. And I just feel so freaking good after I have helped style and put together an outfit for someone lol
  • mfcisthatyou
    Options
    I hope this helps!

Yes I really am caring and compassionate that's why people always say "oh you'll do good in nursing!" but before nursing my plans were to help people through fashion like you said. I wanted to open up a non profit to help kids love themselves from the inside out and then at the end of the program give them like a fun makeover. And I just feel so freaking good after I have helped style and put together an outfit for someone lol

If that's how you feel, go for what you love. Like I said, I switched majors because of my mother too and right now I'm feeling like I'm just stuck. I'm almost 26 and have a decent job but it's not what I enjoy. At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy. If you don't enjoy your career you won't be very happy. Who enjoys waking up to go to a job they hate? As a good friend tells me constantly, do you. The rest will fall into place. If your mother sees that you're happy and enjoying the career path you've chosen for yourself, she'll be happy for you. Do what you love now before you waste your time fulfilling your mother's dreams and you're stuck and feel like you can't get out.
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate all of your advice. I would hate to 10 years down the line hate what I'm doing but loving the money. Money comes and goes but happiness can last a lifetime. I think I'm going to change my major without telling anyone. I really don't feel like dealing with the judgments and disappointments right now...
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Right I totally agree. I don't want to wake up in the AM going "UGHHH I hope this shift goes by fast" I want to go to work and it not feel like its work. Thanks =]
    I hope this helps!

If that's how you feel, go for what you love. Like I said, I switched majors because of my mother too and right now I'm feeling like I'm just stuck. I'm almost 26 and have a decent job but it's not what I enjoy. At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy. If you don't enjoy your career you won't be very happy. Who enjoys waking up to go to a job they hate? As a good friend tells me constantly, do you. The rest will fall into place. If your mother sees that you're happy and enjoying the career path you've chosen for yourself, she'll be happy for you. Do what you love now before you waste your time fulfilling your mother's dreams and you're stuck and feel like you can't get out.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nursing should be 3 years tops, unless you are planning on getting your BSN. If you want to just get your nursing its 1 year undergrad and 2 years in the program. I have a few friends that went through the nursing program and it is INTENSE, you have to be totally commited.

I do not regret getting my degree in Health Fitness and Rehabilitation. I did not get my dream job working in cardiac rehab it has led me to other opportunities for the hospital.

I agree about not getting your LPN unless you want to work in a Drs office or a nursing home because they are getting phased out of the hospitals. Nurses (in my opinion) are overworked and under paid. It takes a lot of dedication and being able to handle stress very well.
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    With that being said about LPN-- nursing home my sis works out pays 25$/hr. And they are paying for her to get an RN! Prob depends on the state you live in.

Yes I think it does depend on where you live because I looked into the LPN schooling/jobs. Here their really aren't any LPN jobs in the hospital. My aunts friend is a LPN and she had to take a nursing job at an elementary school. I would HATE to go to school and not be able to at least work in a hospital. On top of that I wanted to use my BSN in the military. They don't recognize LPN certificates...
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    Nursing should be 3 years tops, unless you are planning on getting your BSN. If you want to just get your nursing its 1 year undergrad and 2 years in the program. I have a few friends that went through the nursing program and it is INTENSE, you have to be totally commited.

I do not regret getting my degree in Health Fitness and Rehabilitation. I did not get my dream job working in cardiac rehab it has led me to other opportunities for the hospital.

I agree about not getting your LPN unless you want to work in a Drs office or a nursing home because they are getting phased out of the hospitals. Nurses (in my opinion) are overworked and under paid. It takes a lot of dedication and being able to handle stress very well.

I agree about the LPN situation. And it would be about 5 years including gen ed requirements.