Suggestions for making myself work out in the morning?

Options
Hi, friends! I really want to be one of those people who gets up in the morning and works out before work, but no matter how many times I set my alarm for an early enough time, I just can't make myself get out of bed and have the motivation to work out, much less make it a habit. Has anyone else had this problem? What strategies do you use to overcome this problem? How do you make it a habit? Nothing I have tried has worked and I need some fresh ideas. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• heatherfrancis
    Options
    I used to be like this and then started to feel selfish working out at night, being away from my husband and children especially since I work all day away from them. So I made it a priority to get up early. Now I cant imagine it any other way. I have sooo much more energy throughout the day and I have my nights free. Some mornings when the alarm goes off and I am tired I think of how much regret I will have if I dont work out and how tired and sluggish i will be and that gets me up...I am actually more tired if I let myself sleep in an extra hour rather than getting up to exercise.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that problem... that's why I work out at night! Sorry if that's not much help. I would love to be someone who exercises in the morning too but getting up at 4:30 am WITHOUT exercising is plenty early for me! :laugh:
  • Ignotus
    Options
    Try making small goals. Maybe 2 or 3 mornings a week to get started. And do something simple or fun. Maybe yoga? Go for a short walk? Then build up to the harder things when you get in the habit and you WILL get motivated to do more once you are in the habit.
    Hope this helps! :)
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i was just having this conversation with someone today at work. I also think it would be impossible to work out in the morning. while I would really like to, I also love sleeping and already try and sleep until the last possible moment. And since i have to leave the house at 6:20 am, I would have to wake up VERY early to work out in the morning. i would also appreciate any suggestions. Also I dont have a gym, so I would have to either work out in the house or go running outside, but in the morning its dark and its so quiet that i would be too scared to go outside.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Find a work out buddy and agree to meet them for a work out......knowing someone is waiting on me MAKES me get up -- start with once a week meeting
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lol I am actually going through the same thing myself. I try to set my alarm clock for 5:00am before my daughter wakes up at 7am so I can get my workout in. I used to just be lazy and lay in bed waiting for her to get up and then get up myself and work out, but she hasn't been liking that lately....she doesn't want me working out when she is awake cuz she wants my undivided attention lol (love it!!). So, been trying every morning to get my butt out of bed before her. This morning I slept in lol so I didn't work out....But was on my feel practically all day so that made up for it!!!! Anyway lol, I don't really have any tips....For me, I try to have everything ready in one spot...workout clothes, shoes, DVD's/ Weights/ Workout book ( Body Sculpting Bible for Women) since I workout at home...and that kinda helps me knowing that I have everything ready in one spot...all I have to do is GET UP!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this. Is it a workout in the morning or not work out at all?

If mornings aren't your thing...don't worry about it. Just do it after work.

If it's before work is the only time to work out I don't know what to tell you. Except get everything you need ready the night before. You're the only one who can make yourself get out of bed.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your workout clothes? And put the alarm far away from the bed.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is no secret. You just have to make yourself do it. Everything is a trade off so you have to figure out what is most important to you. Is it an extra 30 minutes of sleep? Is it doing whatever you do at night with friends and/or family? Is it getting your workout in? Only you can answer those questions. I have some mornings when I get up at 4:45 to be at the pool at 5:00 a.m. Do I like it? HELL NO!! But I love spending time with my wife and son at night and that time is more important to me than getting a little extra sleep.

Sorry to be so blunt and sorry if this isn't helpful. But again, no matter what anyone says - MFP people, friends, family, whoever - YOU are the only one who can drag your tail out of your bed. Good luck!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I sleep in my workout clothes AND I moved my alarm ACROSS the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off rather than constantly hitting snooze. Thanks to whoever made these 2 suggestions awhile back on a post similar to this!!
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this and then started to feel selfish working out at night, being away from my husband and children especially since I work all day away from them. So I made it a priority to get up early. Now I cant imagine it any other way. I have sooo much more energy throughout the day and I have my nights free. Some mornings when the alarm goes off and I am tired I think of how much regret I will have if I dont work out and how tired and sluggish i will be and that gets me up...I am actually more tired if I let myself sleep in an extra hour rather than getting up to exercise.

Totally agree!!! Love the fact that I have more energy throughout the day when I work out in the morning!!
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    I prefer to get up early and get my running done, even though I love running! :D I find the best way for me to consider those 4am up and outs, is to know someone is waiting for me at the start of the trail or outside my front door! Once I get started I really love it. Being out doors really gets me awake. Consider exercising out doors if you can. I tried exercising at night, and often have to due to running club and martial arts, but find it is like drinking too much coffee...can't wind down for bed. I always have my clothes ready the night before so I don't have to fumble around in the dark. Once you are up and started you will learn to love it too. The hard part is just getting out of bed ..... Mind you, the kids think I am a great role model, even if I can't see through the blur yet! :laugh:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    go running outside, but in the morning its dark and its so quiet

This is exactly what gets me out of bed to run outside in the morning. I live in a rural area out on the prairie. Most of the time I see more shooting stars than cars.
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    go running outside, but in the morning its dark and its so quiet

This is exactly what gets me out of bed to run outside in the morning. I live in a rural area out on the prairie. Most of the time I see more shooting stars than cars.

I see your point and would probably feel thhe same way. however, I live near downtown houston (where gangs/violence and people out on the streets are very common) though and while I'm not scared of where I live, the dark morning just makes me nervous. Even though anyone who's up to no good is probably not awake at 4 am!
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    Honestly, there is no secret. You just have to make yourself do it. Everything is a trade off so you have to figure out what is most important to you. Is it an extra 30 minutes of sleep? Is it doing whatever you do at night with friends and/or family? Is it getting your workout in? Only you can answer those questions. I have some mornings when I get up at 4:45 to be at the pool at 5:00 a.m. Do I like it? HELL NO!! But I love spending time with my wife and son at night and that time is more important to me than getting a little extra sleep.

Sorry to be so blunt and sorry if this isn't helpful. But again, no matter what anyone says - MFP people, friends, family, whoever - YOU are the only one who can drag your tail out of your bed. Good luck!

I agree 100% I suffered from insomnia and finally got off sleeping pills in Dec. When you have a hard time getting sleep you want as much as you can get but I want to be healthier too so I get up early because it's important to me. And now it's even easier to fall asleep since I'm on a set schedule. No matter how tired I am before I work out I am always full of energy when it's done! I also shower at the gym so I'm done when I leave there.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am so not a morning person, but I've been pretty successful for 2 weeks now with morning workouts by doing just a few small things:

1. Drink 16oz of water right before bed. This makes me have to get up to pee as soon as the alarm wakes me.

2. Put my workout clothes between the sheet and comforter as I'm getting ready for bed. This keeps them handy AND warm in the morning.

3. Keep my alarm in the bathroom (or the next closest room). In this case, it's my Evo set on loud and vibrate. I put it on a washcloth so it doesn't rattle all over the counter. Since I already have to pee, this has been working especially well for me. :wink:

4. Eat something small and drink a cup of water almost immediately. This gives me at least a little fuel, and the cold water helps wake me up. My go-to food is NOW Peanut and Caramel bars. They're packed with good stuff, and half of one is plenty.

I do this usually every weekday unless I am just too tired, which has happened twice. My normal wake up time now is 5:40. This puts me in the gym and on the elliptical by 6 am, where I now watch my morning news. I have to be at work by 8.

HTH, and good luck!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There is one technique that works. It seems so obvious that you might want to ignore it, but just try it. When you're setting your alarm and getting into bed, tell yourself, "the alarm is going to ring at ____ o'clock and I am going to get up". Just tell yourself and your subconscious mind will obey. If you tell yourself, "oh man it's gonna be so hard to get up early, this sucks", then guess what....
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree on this one. You just have to get up and do it. I did this last spring until the summer of 2010. And I hate getting up in the mornings (I become evil when I do). But I was getting up around 7:30, be outside by 7:40 and I would finish by 8:30 to go to work at 10:30 (late shift) I was doing the Couch to 5k program. There are those who wake up even earlier ( I tip my hat to those guys who get up earlier) I would have my work out clothes my HRM next to my bed. As soon as the clock rang. I got up.. put my clothes on. Rinsed my mouth with mouthwash. Didn't take a shower until I was done. I just got out of the door as quick as possible. I dont give myself time to even think or even drag myself to do it.

As soon as your outside or the dvd is up and running. You just do it. You don't have to go full out but just build it up. I know for me, as soon as I was outside. It was quiet time, my moment of being in Zen.

The end result of doing this almost every day. I had better focus and was a bit more alert. The best part was I didnt get depressed as much and it relived a lot of stress.

But and the end of the day. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Just give it a shot for one week. As long as your working out its all good. But always remeber, you have to make time for it. And just do it. Hope this makes sense.

I agree 100% I suffered from insomnia and finally got off sleeping pills in Dec. When you have a hard time getting sleep you want as much as you can get but I want to be healthier too so I get up early because it's important to me. And now it's even easier to fall asleep since I'm on a set schedule. No matter how tired I am before I work out I am always full of energy when it's done! I also shower at the gym so I'm done when I leave there.
  • akakris04
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I took the suggestion of sleeping in my workout clothes and that really helped - I just had to roll out of bed, put my shoes on and go. Also, knowing that I was accountable to people helped me get up. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions!!!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who struggles, but that it can become a part of your routine (even for people who aren't morning people)!
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sleep in your workout clothes? And put the alarm far away from the bed.

I love it! Get up to turn off the alarm... that is one I'm going to try to implement