How Important is a Rest Day?

Options
2»

Replies

• getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I never take a rest day... and if I were to try, I have absolutely no idea how I would stay under my calorie count.
    My thoughts are exactly like yours - if I'm going to workout, then I need to do a max burn, or else what's the point? Or if I'm not going to workout, what waste of a day.

I am exactly the same way. I am now up to 373 of running every single day for the calorie burn and exercise. I have never felt better. Yes, my muscles get sore, but ususally only after my weight classes once a week on top of the running. If I didnt have a cardio work out every day, I would never be able to stay under my calorie goal. I need the burn daily!

I feel the same! I would never be able to eat dinner if I didn't slip in a workout - although I am working on healthier choices I still have to eat! :wink:
  • kimandal99
    Options
    I never take a rest day... and if I were to try, I have absolutely no idea how I would stay under my calorie count.
    My thoughts are exactly like yours - if I'm going to workout, then I need to do a max burn, or else what's the point? Or if I'm not going to workout, what waste of a day.

I am exactly the same way. I am now up to 373 of running every single day for the calorie burn and exercise. I have never felt better. Yes, my muscles get sore, but ususally only after my weight classes once a week on top of the running. If I didnt have a cardio work out every day, I would never be able to stay under my calorie goal. I need the burn daily!

Oops- I meant to say 373 days straight of running for me and still going!

HOLY! NICE!! I can't make myself run more than 3 days a week! That is super awesome.
    I have pretty much accepted constant body soreness as a part of life... haha

Me too! Body soreness just comes with the territory. But it never hurts during the workouts so to me that means keep going! :)
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options

Oops- I meant to say 373 days straight of running for me and still going!

HOLY! NICE!! I can't make myself run more than 3 days a week! That is super awesome.
    I have pretty much accepted constant body soreness as a part of life... haha

I am honestly sore every single day since I didn't allow any "rest" days. I thought that would help with not hitting a plateau because I'm always surprising my body. Now I'm confused LOL.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I would think you're putting yourself in danger of burning out.

When that reply was posted the OP never outlined in detail what she was actually doing!! Let's not make these sweeping generalisations about "burn out".

If you're lifting hard you will need rest days.

If you're endurance running you will need rest days.

If you play on a Wii fit you won't need rest days.

If you do 10-minute workouts you won't need rest days.

etc
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
    If you are doing arms today, don't do arms again tomorrow. ..
    HIIT training today at a 10 intensity? Do a sustainable cardio pace tomorrow...
    Big run today? Lift tomorrow..
    Pretty simple I'd say. Just listen to your body, it knows what parts need a rest and what don't -- but "needing rest" is not the same as feeling tired or lazy or unmotivated. Too many people use the idea that they "should" take a rest day as an excuse when they don't really need one. I say, push on through, just don't injure yourself (and if you do, just work out a different body part tomorrow. :wink:)
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i have to quote a friend that's on this site (lotus f1ower) when someone else asked the same question. her response tickled me

she said she doesn't mean to get all biblical on people but even God rested on the 7th day.

everyone needs (or should i say benefits from) rest. period. your body needs rest. i know i went for a good month if not more with NOOOOO rest. that's crazy talk now. i take a break and my body thanks me later.