Does anyone else feel like they are losing inches, but not w

Options
I have been a member here for almost 50 days, and I have lost maybe 1 pound. I also started Leslie Sansone's 5 day slim down about the same time as joining here. I really do think I am losing inches, but can't seem to lose any weight. I stay close to my calories most days too! Any suggestions?

Replies

• 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    i've definitely lost inches, but i've lost weight too.

try kicking up the exercise and drinking lots of water.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You should open up your diary. It's about calories and proper nutrition.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Don't count on the scale. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. If you are losing fat and gaining muscle you won't appear to lose weight as quickly. This is why they recommend you keep track of inches and how your clothes fit. Great job losing those inches!

And...muscle burns calories while we are resting. Yay for muscles!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I feel the same. I've been on here for 50 days and have lost only 6 pounds and a few inches. I know it 's progress, but it's frustratingly slow!!
  • harlay
    harlay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've got the same issue. I'm stay within my calories 90% of the time and I'm doing 30 day shred or Biggest Loser last chance work out everyday. All this and I've only lost 3 pounds. I've been doing mfp for about 1 months or so. I think I have lost inches but I just want the scale to move a little bit. Plus I"m drinking about 4-5 liters of water a day. But I'm not giving up. Maybe our weight will fall off all at once. :) hehehe We can dream can't we. :)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you have much to lose so it will be slower. Sometimes if you don't change your eating habits all the exercise in the world won't make you lose weight. Maybe opening up your diary and letting some people take a peek so they can give you some suggestions. WTG at sticking to it.
  • wife2ajamaican
    wife2ajamaican Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been losing more inches that weight. It drives me nuts.. but when I am able to slip on smaller jeans it changes my mind. I was told that I was getting lean and building muscle from my work outs. I was also told that losing the inches in more important. If you are losing inches don't worry about the weight. :D It sounds like you are doing very well!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Don't count on the scale. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. If you are losing fat and gaining muscle you won't appear to lose weight as quickly. This is why they recommend you keep track of inches and how your clothes fit. Great job losing those inches!

And...muscle burns calories while we are resting. Yay for muscles!
    to be correct, a pound is a pound. however a pound of fat and a pound of muscle are completely different in volume. a pound of fat takes up WAY more space than a pound of muscle. think of it as a pound of feathers to a pound of rocks.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    read these they may help i uptted my calories and started losing again , sounds daft i know but :~)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck on your journey :~)
  • GoingToLose25
    Options
    Same here- my clothes are fitting better, but only 2 pounds lost. For me it's lack of hard core exercise. I'm not out running in the snow like my friend who lost 24 pounds already.
  • vmf04
    vmf04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is pretty typical, to feel like you are getting smaller but not losing the numbers on the scale. But lets clear up one thing...Muscle does not weight more than fat. A pound is a pound, be it, a pound of muscle, a pound of fat, a pound of peanut butter, a pound of carpet fibers...it's all ONE POUND. Now, muscle is more dense and takes up less room. So, a pound of fat is BIGGER and takes up more room than a pound of muscle. BUT it is the same weight. That's why you can take a fit person who has 10% body fat and is 5'5" and weighs 135lbs of pretty much sheer muscle, and someone else who has NO muscle tone, and is at 35% body fat and they are 5'5 and 135lbs...and the one the first one is going to 'look' smaller, though they weight the same amount.

Try monitoring you body fat percentage (NOT BMI or Weight). Body fat percentage will tell you 'of X amount of lbs, this much is fat...and this much is lean muscle. '
    Grab a trainer at a gym, and most of the time they will help you find this number for free. :)

Happy Living!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Get your self a measuring tape, and take your measurements. Scale weight should not be a big issue, especially if you don't have much to lose. Your measurements, and body fat % are what's most important. Don't worry about the scale.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Get your self a measuring tape, and take your measurements. Scale weight should not be a big issue, especially if you don't have much to lose. Your measurements, and body fat % are what's most important. Don't worry about the scale.

Right on!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Okay. So a lot of people are saying a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. This is true as far as weight is concerned. But there is a huge difference. A pound of fat is about twice as big as a pound of muscle. Imagine wearing a shirt stuffed with 5 pounds of feathers (a really big pillow). Now imagine your shirt stuffed with 5 pounds of potatoes. Stuffing in the potatoes take about half the space, but weighs the same.
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks guys! You all are so helpful and awesome! :smile:
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Okay. So a lot of people are saying a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. This is true as far as weight is concerned. But there is a huge difference. A pound of fat is about twice as big as a pound of muscle. Imagine wearing a shirt stuffed with 5 pounds of feathers (a really big pillow). Now imagine your shirt stuffed with 5 pounds of potatoes. Stuffing in the potatoes take about half the space, but weighs the same.
    exactly, its a question of volume, not weight.