Health Care Professionals

Options
Hi everybody.
Thought I would start this new thread because despite what we know about medicine, we have no answers when it comes to ourselves. Speaking for myself of course. Sometimes I feel like the biggest hypocrite when telling patients they need to lose weight when I fit into a grossly obese category myself. It isn't that I feel we are any different just sometimes too smart for our own good.

Anybody else in this field want to speak up and support one another in our journey? Look forward to chatting.
Barb

Replies

• wilmelenne
    Options
    I"m not actually a health care professional but I do research for a pharmaceutical company and we target type 2 diabetes and obesity. I myself was very close to having an obese BMI and decided to change my lifestyle. it took me 2 years before i decided to do it. With things I see everyday and my scientific knowledge behind obesity and type 2 diabetes I should have changed right when I started!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Barb! I, too do the same with my patients. My passion is diet and nutrition. I actually know enough that I could probably become a registered dietician if I wanted to and would be very good at it as well. I actually teach nutrition to my medical assisting students. Year after year they ask why i don't do it full time. Year after year, the answer is the same..."who in their right mind would listen to someone that is as overweight as I am?" I think the complacency of health care workers makes it hard for us...we know the info and are quick to teach it, but many times, we are the last to follow it!

Nice to meet you!
  • barbmpac
    barbmpac Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ok. Not a bad start! Hi Joy and Wilmelenne. I haven't set any goals yet. Just taking this thing one day at a time. i don't tend to get online during the weekend much and I could really tell. I only exceeded my calorie limit one day but the choices I made! Good learning experience. I have been off sugar for 23 days now and don't miss it much. I have had cravings a couple of times. Fortunately, the people who work at the clinic are also health conscious so don't bring in much crap. As long as I bring my lunch to work and don't succumb to the fast food fix, I stay on target pretty well. My best friend just got a job at Curves and talked me into joining so I have been getting in the minimum workout for the past month. When it stops hurting so much i will pick up the additional exercise. It is getting better.

One thing about living with obesity, I have more compassion and understanding when helping others. On the other hand, to a lesser degree, I project my self judgment on others. Quite a dichotomy! Have a good food day!
    Barb