heartrate monitors

Options
So, I bought a heartrate monitor ( http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4344981&cid=CSE:GoogleProductSearch )when I started exerciseing and it is just not cutting it as far as my needs go, which heartrate monitors are you using and how are you liking them.

What I am really looking for is something that gives the continous heart rate (you don't have to press your finger on) and that counts calories by heartrate (and not like a pedometer). I don't need GPS or anything like.

I liked this one because it is pink and didn't require a chest strap, but I am over that and just want something that will work.

Replies

• btotten
    btotten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it is funny that is starred out the name of that store int he url. Anyway, the one I have is a Sportline Women's Solo 925 Heart Rate Monitor
  • gregory05us
    gregory05us Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just bought one from target for 69.99 and it's been doing fine. It's a New Balance. I've enjoyed wearing it just to see how much I really burn.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Look into a Polar. They have multiple models. I own an FT7 that I love. Polar's website does a pretty good job on giving you what each model does.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 with cheststrap. Very easy to use and accurate. Some people say the chest strap is uncomfortable but you really get used to it and it's more accurate since it's continously monitoring your HR.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A body media went on sale at costco today....$149.99 and you get a 12 month subscription with it. I love mine and wouldnt be without it =)
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    hey there. i actually just purchased the Polar FT4F heart rate monitor w/ chest strap last month. before it arrived, i was going to return it because i couldn't foresee a chest strap feeling very comfortable.

i am happy to report that i LOVE LOVE LOVE my it! i cant feel the strap at ALL. they did a great job constructing and designing it. the watch displays your heart rate and cal burn constantly w/o you having to press any buttons. at this point, it really serves every single need i have. i cant say enough great things about it.

and, it's pink. ;)

just to allay any doubts, i actually did a bunch of research and considered all the online reviews and the price. good luck! i hope you find one that works for your needs!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also have a polar F4 and I love it. It's $90 on Amazon right now. The chest strap doesn't bother me and the watch has multiple read outs. You select which one you want. I usually keep it in the target zone readout and check my calories periodically with a quick click! Good luck!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Polar F11 for about 2 years and love mine.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Anything without a heart strap is not going to give a continuous reading. The ones you touch are no better than holding your finger to your neck for 15 seconds and doing your own calculation.

I had a Polar RS200 for a long time that I loved but then accidentally killed it because I replaced the battery myself and then tried to take it swimming (turns out if's only waterproof if you have the battery replaced by Polar themselves).

I did a lot of research when I was looking to get a new one and I settled on the RS300X... it was very similar to my RS200 which I loved and a middle of the range price with a lot of higher end features.

FT4 is a great bang for the buck which a lot of people love.
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go with a polar heart rate monitor. My wife and I both love ours, and I cannot workout without mine now!
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 HRM 2 weeks ago and I love it! It's super simple to use and seems to be pretty accurate. I'd look into this one or the cheaper FT4- I think the main difference on these is how many sessions you can save and the FT7 has the ability to link with the online Polar program for an additional fee. I paid the higher price just in case I wanted to use this feature later.
  • btotten
    btotten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just got a Timex a coule of weeks ago and I love it. Works great and easy to use.