ladies! - that time of month and binge eating

Options
I do fine planning my meals and staying in calorie andexercising- When my cycle starts I cant resist reaching into the box of cereal or chocolates and scarfing down- I do nt have an ounce of willpower durin this time-
could it be our bodies burn more calories while cyclng then normal daily funtioning? :sad:

Replies

• frankisgal
    Options
    Me either....I'm actually on mine right now :( and like you, I do good any other time but this week, I've cheated....ate Dominos Pizza last nite....and I"m on a low carb diet....so today I feel like crap cause I let myself down....It's just sooo hard!!!
  • Haleynb818
    Options
    Me too. Chocolate = yuuuuummm x 1 million around that time!!!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I'm not sure why the cravings are so powerful :(

Perhaps around that time of the month remove foods from your house that are easy for you to binge on. I can only eat so many apples, so much salmon, so many salads and so many veggies so it's REALLY hard to binge if those are my only options.

Charmagne
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OMG I had binge eating 2 wks before my period, and 2 weeks during and after. I used to attend Weight Watchers meetings, and asked the same question, and guess what, no one had any answers, just to "fill up on vegetables". I dunno--must be due to some hormonal mystery. I'm post-menopausal now, thank god, but that brings a whole new set of issues. None as hard to manage as yours, though. Sorry, no good answer, I know.
  • chantalicious
    Options
    This happens to me about a week before I get mine. I usually gain that week or don't have a loss, by the next week though I'm back on track and the scale shows it!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I was watching the documentary "Super Size Me" last night. I HATE McD's food but I wanted some sooo bad last night!! Damn TOM!
  • qtwells82
    Options
    Me too :sad:
    I ate like 20 rolls of smarties yesterday. I was in hoover mode :/
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I usually REALLY struggle with this--though it's more of a stomach-clawing hunger than cravings. About the week before and/or the week of my period, I often feel I can NEVER eat enough. So hungry that it's painful. In the past, I have just gone over some and accepted it. I figure if my body is crying out that much, it obviously needs something. I just try to fill it with healthy stuff rather than potato chips haha. Luckily, this month I have noticed it to be a lot better. But if that is really you in your profile pic, I'd say you have NOTHING to worry about!!! :noway:
  • gffs
    gffs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons women tend to crave chocolate is that we also tend to be lacking in magnesium. Chocolate is very high in magnesium. It won't stop the cravings entirely, but it can take some of the edge off.

And make sure you have plenty of low calorie snacks ready to grab before the cravings hit you. And pay attention to what you're eating. Don't do anything else while you're eating to satisfy a craving. Close your eyes and concentrate on the flavors and texture.
  • sec820
    sec820 Posts: 40
    Options
    So reassuring to see others struggling with menstrual cravings. I should be starting any day and it's all I can do to stay out of chip bag and cookie jar!!! I'm also trying to drink extra water to help flush away the bloating (i hope i'm not making it worse:( ) Weigh in is Friday, and I don't have high hopes...thanks TOM!!!!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    body temperature is increased at TOM so I wonder if this is the metabolism kicked up a notch which in turn makes you feel hungrier?
  • shellyxxxxx
    Options
    i always end up eating loads of chocolate this time of the month its deffo hormones calling comfort food to us ,i just wish i stayed strong like the rest of the weeks x
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oh I also meant to mention that I read somewhere that woman burn up to 15% more calories while on their period, so I've often wondered if this is why I'm so ravenous during that time?
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well I agree! I try to allow for a slight bit of indulgence and don't think of it as cheating. Be sure to be honest and log it. Life is what it is! But, be good to yourself! We all have to deal with TOM and it stinks. I have stated in a blog post that I don't want to live on an island where I can't eat something sweet when I get the taste. The trick is to manage it. Eat it, enjoy it, but control it. Last month I had a weigh in day on TOM and I was amazed that I had lost 2 pounds. I always think that we are just more bloated and have more water weight around that time. Good Luck and take advantage of the three weeks without! Best!
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    not me in pic just an inspirationa;l picure
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I try to come up with chocolate that is not so bad for me like a sugar free chocolate pudding cup (60 calories) or a protein bar with chocolate. As for other snacks, I try to stay within the portion size and try to find health options. Ex. If I want chips and dip, I have carrots and onion dip made with fat free sour cream or the new Special K cracker chips (27 chips= 110 calories!!!). Hang in there ladies! The best news is there are still 3 other weeks of the cycle where cravings aren't a problem! :wink:
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    not me in pic just an inspirationa;l picure
    well now its me- changed pcture
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    interesting that you should comment on that today as I was just thinking it is so cool that I not only found something that helps with that same thing you are talking about (binging while on cycle) but also I no longer have the migraine headaches that were the first thing to tell me my cycle was coming on. Friend me anyone and let me know if your interested. Have a Happy Healthy DAy! ;)
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    take magnesium tablets and I can bet you will notice a change! My M.I.L swears by them and has always taken them and she eats zero junk ever!!!!!! Never even craves it!!!!!
    I don't get big chocolate cravings at the TOM but do feel hungry all the time so just munch on fruit/veg or ricecakes :)