The Emotional Side of Eating

SeattleLady
SeattleLady Posts: 70
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
I have a problem. I know it and I am not sure how to fix it. I binge. I have told my physcologist about it and she just says don't deprive yourself completely, replace high fat snack foods with healthy ones you enjoy...blah blah. THAT IS NOT THE POINT! I have a problem. I have never made myself throw up or starve myself, but I will eat lots of food at odd times or late at night simply for the point of eating. I hide it and am very ashamed.

I started a strict diet and lost 11 pounds before joining MFP. I KNOW it is possible for me to choose and eat healthy foods and even enjoy it. But then I started working out. I found the perfect workout and community of fitness peeps to work out with and I love it! As soon as I got the "excuse" to eat more to sustain my work outs I started eating unhealthy again.

It is almost like a rebellion against all the "you can't"'s I have heard in my life. "You can't eat this, or you shouldn't eat that". I want to say, "F you!"... but then I read this really inspiring post about all the things thin people go through to stay thin and that key to that is not being able to eat all you want. I am not sure how one can overcome this desire that seems so natural. And in America is frankly treated as normal to eat high fat/sugar foods on a daily basis!

I am not sure how to get the help I need to stop binging. This is not just eating what I want because I am hungry or out to dinner with friends. This is me stuffng anything I can into my mouth because I don't want anyone to tell me I can't. Or because I already "messed" up earlier that day, it doesn't matter anymore.

Sincerley,

Replies

This discussion has been closed.