Weekends...TOM...

Options
Hey

I have a problem with weekends!
I always BINGE! And everytime I do, I gain 5lbs in those 2 days. Then after a few days of eating normal, I lose it. It's just a big cycle over and over again.
I try and try to stop. But I always break it ¬.¬ especially in the evenings!
Does anyone go through this?

Also TOM is a big problem too, I always binge. Especially the first day.
Not really sure what to do =\

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    What are you eating when you binge? Maybe make a healthier choice of the same type of food would help. Are you working out on those days as well?
  • Simonscat
    Options
    It's always chocolate
    and no i'm not
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Keep the chocolate out of the house if you're binging on it :)

Charmagne
  • nezeray
    Options
    I try to eat Grapes, Raisins, and other "light" foods that take a while to eat. Eat them one at a time. And of course drink lots of water. I found something at Trader Joe's that might help with the chocolate, it's a mix of cashews, almonds and chocolate bits (like chips). Maybe you can mix chocolate chips in with something healthier to get your fix. Fat Free/Sugar Free ice cream or yogurt maybe?

For TOM, I am no help. :D

James / Nezeray
  • Simonscat
    Options

Charmagne

Sadly I do that but the shop is only downstairs, so I always go ><
  • Simonscat
    Options
    Will try the fruit!! :)
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh or blunt, but I am going to because its reality. Its called self control! You have to be mentally prepared and all in if your going to do this. You dont want to spend all this time during the week working hard towards your goals only to throw it all away on a weekend binge do you?

If you give what your body what it needs (nutritious foods) it wont crave the bad stuff, and honestly you wont even want it anymore (at least thats how it is for me).

I have never been a big sweets person so maybe I just dont get it, but what about trying some chocolate protein shakes? I have one that I drink as a post workout/recovery and its REALLY tasty, maybe something like that will help you.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Charmagne

And that way if you really want it that bad.. make yourself walk to go get it (a small amount ofcourse). The impact won't be so bad.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing you can try is the fiber one 90 calorie chocolate peanut butter bars. I usually eat one of those a day for my snack, but keyword there was "ONE", again its all about self control.

Also you could try to slowly break the habit by using chocolate as a reward, I wouldnt EVER recommend bad foods as a reward but if you are REALLY having a hard time breaking the binge anything is worth a try.... So if you know weekends are your breaking point, say to yourself, "if I burn 200 (or more) calories on saturday, I can a small piece of chocolate." Or if you are eating whole candy bars, try to break that down in half.....

Baby steps! Good luck! :happy:
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    Hi there!
    I am a total carb addict, bread being my weakness. I cant believe I wasnt much heavier because I can eat a loaf of bread at one sitting easy!
    I have never been successful at any type of change to my diet because I didn't commit fully and really plan out what I was going to eat every day and when. It has taken almost 2 months but I do feel I have finally learned to manage my addiction to carbs. I do not eat simple carbohydrates and concentrate on complex carbs with value. I eat the same on weekend days as I do during the week. The only difference is that I take Sunday off from exercise to let my body rest.
    During this time I have had a few "slips" where I thought I could take a bite of something just for the taste. Two things happened- I began to crave carbs IMMEDIATELY and I had a stomachache!
    My body loves how I am eating now... I have energy, I can actually taste the food I am eating, and I dont have that feeling of hunger all the time!
    I have lost 13 pounds and that is awesome, but more than anything I FEEL HEALTHY and to me there is no instant gratification that could ever live up to that!
    It's like anything else- you will do it when it clicks that it makes sense. I hope you can find a way past this hard part and reach your goals!
    Sarah
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Charmagne

Sadly I do that but the shop is only downstairs, so I always go ><

then easy. don't allwow you're self to go downstairs.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :smile: SELF-CONTROL...! We can't do it for you...! It starts with oneself....best wishes!
  • naebear99
    Options
    I always binge at my TOM, too. That one's not easy, but I'm trying to (a) make better food choices and (b) work it off as best I can. then I (c) don't sweat a few extra calories, but try to keep it below say 100 extra.

As for the other, it can be hard to break a habit like that, but I think what you need to do is make a really clean break with it. You seem to have two problems with weekends (1) too much free time, (2) a little disposable income. If you are bored, it can be the easiest thing in the world to run out for a little treat. I think what you need to do is start filling weekend time up, and possibly start a savings account, with a goal like "take a trip to Hawaii" or "buy myself diamond earrings".

For time, consider what activities are available to you. Are there pretty places to go out walking? Nearby malls? Sports clubs? Volunteer opportunities? Community colleges? Figure out what you might be interested in doing, and go do it - even if it's not highly active. It'll get you out of the house, away from temptation, and ideally keep your fingers too busy for snacking. I also took up embroidery for years, because I wanted to give up TV snacking. If you are embroidering, you can't eat, because you have to keep your fingers and the area around you clean or you'll dirty up your meticulous work. Find something to do that takes your mind off chocolate, and makes it nearly impossible for you to eat, other than at planned times.

As for the money, you need to re-purpose it so you don't "have enough" to buy chocolate any more. Maybe you want a new car, more books, or you like to play "day spa" in your bathroom. Prioritize these. Give yourself little rewards for the first baby steps toward your big goal, but start socking away chocolate money toward the big prize - that thing you want but is out of your reach right now.

I do a lot of this in other areas, and I'm learning to apply it to my diet, too. Good luck!