new and needing support from those on the weight loss journe

Options
My name is Catie and I have struggled with my weight all my life. When other diets didn't work, a friend of mine suggested this site. I tried it a while ago, but couldn't really get into it. I've decidd to give it another try and am hoping to find others who have found success. I am hoping to find a challenge to be a part of as I feel that will work the best for me. Hopefully a few of you have some insight for me...

Thanks!
Catie

Replies

• Emma33021
    Emma33021 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi Catie,

Just wanted to say welcome. I'm a newbie, too.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been on many "diets" as an overweight teenager with my mom, but nothing really stuck with me. Atkins didn't make me feel right, Weight Watchers was good, but I was still missing something. I tried slimfast, fat burning pills, etc etc. But it all came down to one thing, and that's learning. I never did really learn anything from these diets.

The difference here at My Fitness Pal is that it is not a diet, this is a lifestyle change. You learn what is good for you, you learn what is bad for you by trial and error and posting on the forums. Yes, you can still eat chocolate cake but if you do, MFP will show you just how much bad stuff is in it. It will take up most of your calories for the day without giving you the stuff you need like fiber and protien, and too much of some things, like sugar and fat. You learn, okay maybe a third of a cake is NOT a good thing for me to eat. You learn to choose foods wisely that will balance your nutrition and keep you full longer, you learn not to crave sugar, and you learn to truely enjoy the treats that you get and to eat them sparingly and responcibly. No other "diet" program has ever taught me that. And I think its because they want you to fail so you continue paying them the premiums to use their diets.

Stay on the forums to keep motivated for a while. Log all your calories and ask people questions when you need to on the forums. I started MFP December 2009, and so far I have lost 80 pounds since then, and a grand total from my highest weight ever of 98 pounds. I've been somewhat "bad" for the last couple weeks or so, but here's the best part: Now that I've learned to eat responcibly, even when I eat too much or I eat a "bad" food, I have learned how to balance my eating so well that I can eat in moderation. I have not gained any back. I never thought I would be able to learn to maintain my weight, but now I realize that MFP has truely taught me how to care for my body in a way I never understood before. It is definently information that will stick with me for a lifetime.

And best of all, its free, so you know everyone here wants you to succeed because no one's making money off of you being here. Please put your heart into it, it really does work. Just give it some time, its hard at first, but when you get going its the key. Learning things for yourself and not letting points or boxed meals or unbalanced diets do the work for you is the only thing that is going to last.
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi Catie welcome back to MFP! I tried this a couple of years ago too and it didn't last long, but I think because I wasn't ready. I didn't want to count calories, I wanted to find the easy way. Ya, that never happened! I started using this site again in January and am loving it, MFP has a great food database and because of the phone apps I don't have to worry about writing it down and forgetting to do it later. I also think why I'm enjoying it this time around is due to all of the wonderful MFP friends I've made. I didn't really try making friends last time.
  • Hizzle85
    Hizzle85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i'm a newbie too! Good luck on your journey, just know we are all here! Add me if you like- it helps to have as many friends as possible!
  • Welchgal
    Welchgal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site. I like it as it counts more than just calories. Someone on our local Biggest Loser contest told me about this site and I love it. I was doing Weight Watchers for the last 3 months...mainly to have a site to record food and exercise to keep track for me! This one is free!

I will turn 60 in August, so want to lose weight and get in better physical shape before then...that is 6 months. I had same goals last year, but I had a stress fracture in my foot in May and then diagnosed with hip burstitis. This year will be different.