Is your body shape (i.e. pear, hourglass, apple) dependent o

Options

Replies

• shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of that is dependent on your bone structure.. So unless you want to smash your bones and reconstruct them, I don't think its possible. At my smallest, I had an hourglass figure but now I'm more of a pear. I doubt I'll ever get the hourglass back lol.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would guess I'm an "hourglass" in that I have broader shoulders, lots of T&A (aye!) :wink: and a smaller waist in relation to my bum & hips.

I can see a few people here saying they'd like this, I think - but would just like to say it's not all it's cracked up to be. I have to elasticate the back of the waistband of every single pair of trousers I own because if they're big enough to go over my bum, they're then at least 8-10 inches too big round the waist.

Oh and long-line tops ride up and settle on my bum, instead of hanging down to create that lovely long elegant shape they're supposed to.

Or maybe i've just got a huge bum... ! yeah i think that's what it is... :grumble:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    All dudes want that Y or V shape I suppose, but my ribcage and pelvic bone stick out pretty far, so I'm just cursed with more of an X shape.

I don't know about the general population, but I think male and female bodybuilders go for the 'X' shape... hence, Tony "The X-Man" Freeman.

I see what you mean, I'm more speaking of upper body only. I suppose if I over-compensated by bulking up my obliques, it would fill in the gap between my pelvic bone and ribcage, so the V-taper would look better.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that there is a fourth category called banana, and I am it. For we girls who aren't quite curvy enough to call ourselves an hourglass. http://www.mybodygallery.com/body-types.html

I think a lot of it is bone structure. I am large boned, and my rib cage and hips are pretty much just always going to be right where they are. If I could shave a few more inches off my waist, I *might* be able to call myself an hourglass instead of a banana, but I think that would be a stretch-- I doubt I'd be able to lose much more than one or two more inches while staying healthy.

I guess I'm a banana -- B.A.N.A.N.A!

I thought it was called rectangle when your chest & hips are the same measurements and your waist is under 9 inches smaller. I wish what she said about the toned arms was right. That's always the first place I gain and last place I lose. :grumble:
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would guess I'm an "hourglass" in that I have broader shoulders, lots of T&A (aye!) :wink: and a smaller waist in relation to my bum & hips.

I can see a few people here saying they'd like this, I think - but would just like to say it's not all it's cracked up to be. I have to elasticate the back of the waistband of every single pair of trousers I own because if they're big enough to go over my bum, they're then at least 8-10 inches too big round the waist.

Oh and long-line tops ride up and settle on my bum, instead of hanging down to create that lovely long elegant shape they're supposed to.

Or maybe i've just got a huge bum... ! yeah i think that's what it is... :grumble:

No, I agree. Clothing is made to fit the more common pear-shape. I find dress shopping a total pain the you-know-what. If it fits through the chest, it doesn't fit anywhere else. If it fits everywhere else, I find myself wishing for implants. Hourglass can be a tough shape to dress, even if it's considered 'an ideal.'
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

No, I agree. Clothing is made to fit the more common pear-shape. I find dress shopping a total pain the you-know-what. If it fits through the chest, it doesn't fit anywhere else. If it fits everywhere else, I find myself wishing for implants. Hourglass can be a tough shape to dress, even if it's considered 'an ideal.'

With celebs like Kim Kardashian and Christina Hendricks being so popular, you'd think that they'd try to market to a group of people, and yet, they don't. I've heard KK say that she pretty much has to get everything tailored to fit her.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A pear with an apple filling at least around the waist area...but not for long!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am a pear. But I just found that out. I didn't know. I THOUGHT I was a hourglass because I have really big boobs and hips. But when I did my measurements around my chest sans the boobs it was a smaller measurement that my stomach by like an inch and a half. Who knew?
  • Supa817
    Supa817 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass... I agree with those that say it's hard to find clothes sometimes. My waist to hip ratio is kind of insane... (Like 32inch waist/40 something inch hips) so when I buy pants, they have to fit my hips and always gap at my waist. It's sooo frustrating, but I've always been curvy so it's not going anywhere no matter how much weight I lose. Overall I like myself this way though.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I thought it was called rectangle when your chest & hips are the same measurements and your waist is under 9 inches smaller. I wish what she said about the toned arms was right. That's always the first place I gain and last place I lose. :grumble:

Oh, I guess rectangle would work to describe it too-- but a banana sounds much more fun.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Oh, I guess rectangle would work to describe it too-- but a banana sounds much more fun.

Oh yeah, def be a banana!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've always been a pear, and think I am destined to remain a pear. Even at my lowest weight, fittest body, my hips were big and I'm talking bones, not padding on top of bones.

Yep. I don't know about the other body types since I've only got the one, but pear is forever! It may be a smaller pear, but that's never going away.
  • zoethomas1978
    Options
    me too...i'm never going to lose my belly!
  • junewonder
    Options
    According to Jillian Michaels it's got to do with your estrogen levels. Women with more estrogen are pears. (that's all I retained...lol, because I'm a pear.)

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSpZN4imD44&feature=related
    also, while you're at it...watch her other videos with ediets.com they're very informative.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    pear, but after having my 5th child, i'm a fruit salad! lol
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It seems like I'm always hour glass... even though when I was larger I refered to myself as a DAY glass hahahaha.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    it's genetics

i'm a pear .

even if you're not a fan of your stomach you can always wear clothing that emphasizes in creating a waist for a focus line... i've been watching too much of what not to wear
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I suggest mixing up your exercises. You can't "spot train" to get rid of you mid section, unfortunately!

Try pilates/yoga for a longer and leaner look in general.
    Weight lift!
    Try zumba to whittle the waist.

Keep in mind that the "ideal" hour glass might not be what your hour glass will look like. Good luck!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options

I like being an hourglass, but I feel your pain! I have to seek out "curvy" style pants, or at the very least "relaxed fit." My waist usually needs at least a size smaller than my hips, so many pants I try on have the infamous "butt gap" in back. Oh and forget skinny leg jeans... they look totally hilarious on my figure!

I also have trouble with button-down tops. My shoulders/waist say medium but my bust often "busts out" of a medium. I've been trying to find more empire waist tops and less button downs.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that there is a fourth category called banana, and I am it. For we girls who aren't quite curvy enough to call ourselves an hourglass. http://www.mybodygallery.com/body-types.html

I think a lot of it is bone structure. I am large boned, and my rib cage and hips are pretty much just always going to be right where they are. If I could shave a few more inches off my waist, I *might* be able to call myself an hourglass instead of a banana, but I think that would be a stretch-- I doubt I'd be able to lose much more than one or two more inches while staying healthy.

I'd say I have the bones of a banana with certain apple traits where the upholstery is concerned. I'm small or medium/small boned by the fingers-around-the-wrist assessment method. I do tend to carry most of my excess weight around my midsection, but even if I were at my ideal weight, there isn't enough of a gap between the bottom of my rib cage and the top of my pelvis to accommodate a small waist. Upper and lower body in proportion. Legs, if not great, then certainly not a serious problem area either. Definitely NOT athletic. And though my forearms (and calves) have always been slim and reasonably well toned regardless of weight, I can't say the same about my upper arms. They practically flap in the breeze.