Movie Popcorn

Options
This was posted on the CTV website a few minutes ago. Looks like I'm gonna have to start smuggling my movie snacks in from now on......

Half the fun of going to the movie theatre, for many people, is the popcorn. It's salty, buttery and nothing like the air-popped or microwavable version at home.

While most of us know the snack isn't exactly health food, you might be surprised at just how much fat and calories are in some movie popcorn.

CTV News, along with The Globe and Mail, commissioned independent lab Gelda Scientific to analyze samples of large popcorn from three concession stands at the biggest movie theatre chains, with and without buttery topping.

What we found was that on average, the large popcorn -- without the topping -- had a staggering 1,100 calories, 60 grams of fat and 1,235 milligrams of sodium.

That's about the calorie and fat equivalent of two of KFC's infamous Double Down sandwiches.

Throw on that topping and you've got a few more calories -- 1,261 -- and an astounding 79 grams of fat along with 1,300 milligrams of sodium.

To put that into perspective: the average adult should aim for 2,000 calories a day or less, and should take in no more than 65 grams of fat and 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day. That one large bag of movie popcorn might come pretty close to hitting those quotas -- exceeding them in fact in the fat department, while offering almost no nutrition.

Most movie goers likely don't know how many calories they're taking in with those popcorn combos, because theatres don't post the nutritional information of their snacks on their menu boards or their websites.

But we asked each of the big movie chains to provide us with the nutrition facts for their popcorn. Cineplex Odeon and Empire Theatres offered us that info; AMC didn't return our calls.

The numbers provided by both Cineplex and Empire for the fat, calorie and sodium content in their popcorn were much lower than our test results. When we tested a large, no-topping popcorn, we found:

Cineplex Odeon

1,141 calories
67 g fat
1,128 mg sodium
Cineplex said a large popcorn had 850 calories, 40.5 g fat and 399 mg sodium
Empire Theatres

1,116 calories
51 g fat
1,695 mg sodium
Empire said it had 637 calories, 28.5 g fat and 1,297 mg sodium
AMC

1,060 calories
62.6 g fat
883 mg sodium
The company didn't provide us with their own nutritional information
As for why there were such discrepancies, the serving sizes we picked up at the theatres were larger than the ones the companies used in their testing. Both companies also blamed human error for inconsistent methods used to prepare the popcorn.

When the same large bags of popcorn were analyzed with buttered topping, the calories jumped to 1,400:

Cineplex Odeon

1,420 calories
100 g fat
1,095 mg sodium
Empire Theatres

1,225 calories
67 g fat
2,114 mg sodium
AMC

1,138 calories
69 g fat
694 mg sodium
While the numbers aren't good for movie theatre popcorn, the theatre chains say they are planning some changes.

Cineplex Odeon says it expects to launch soon a new popping salt that's 50 per cent lower in sodium. And they say they're now using a new canola oil-based popping oil that reduces the overall fat content and the trans fat compared to their previous popping oil. They call the oil Vegetol Cineplex Popping Oil, and is now in use in all of their theatres in Canada.

Empire Theatres says it has invested heavily in the development of its "Popcorn Program" to deliver a consistent product at all theatres.

Replies

• arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    This. Is. Scary. !!!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Yikes. That's crazy.
  • wilson8it
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for that I am going to see a movie this weekend and will definitely take my own snacks.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is liquid death.
    -wtk
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    They have had the calories listed in the theatre's I attend for a while now and the amount of calories left me dumbounded. My husband about died when I pulled out my white cheddar rice cake during TRON. No way was I consuming all those calories.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    WOW!! We have a popcorn machine in our movie theatre room in our house. Makes me wonder how many calories are in that - always count it as oil popped popcorn, but now I really wonder what I'm feeding my family. :(
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Ewww. No wonder I always have a tummy ache after eating movie theatre popcorn.
  • eylbrown
    Options
    All I can say is WOW.. no wonder my popcorn at home never tastes the same!!! omg..
  • WTFitness
    WTFitness Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes...
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    You have really opened my eyes. My hubby and I share the large
    popcorn so we are only getting half of that stuff. I hate to have to
    give it up, I love it. I am from Canada, so I am glad they are at least
    changing some of the ingredients. Thanks for this thread.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know... I have been waiting for a day that I am so under my calorie count that I can go see a movie (and have a SMALL popcorn).... Still haven't made it yet!!
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ewww. No wonder I always have a tummy ache after eating movie theatre popcorn.

That's what I'm saying too!
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm heading to the movies tonight. I knew popcorn was bad but didn't realize it was THAT bad.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Wow! I knew it has to be high but thats rediculous!!!!! I always smuggle in candy for my boys (sorry the price of a movie is bad enough but in my area it costs even more than double that for a soda and popcorn to go along with) I will need to start bringing a bigger purse!!!
    Luckily we don't really go much. It's about $55 for three of us to go, and these days every penny counts!:noway:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I knew it was awful...but it is just SO good! lol
  • sincitylulu
    Options
    That's a lot of calories. Thankfully I share a large with my kids and husband.
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    haven't had actual "MOVIE" popcorn (sold in theatres) for awhile but i do have an air popper here at home and on MFP's calorie counter even with Olivinia (Lactantia) margerine and kernels white cheddar popcorn seasoning a big bowl of popcorn is only about 250 cals
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I always look up calories before I eat anything not prepared from home. So I did know about the calorie/sodium/fat killer that is movie popcorn. That being said, I still will split a half of one with my husband. Moderation is key.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This just devastates me completely! I love that stuff!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No wonder I feel sick afterwards. I have been smuggling in my own lately. I decided I pay them enough with the giant ticket price!