Shin Splints

Options
I have always gotten shin splints but they are worse than ever because i push threw them to run but I think that I am over doing it and creating a bigger problem. I just switched gym shoes last night to asic gel nimbus in hopes that it will help once they go away but how can I get them to stop hurting....? does anyone else have this problem and advice as to what i can do to help my poor legs?

Replies

• literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ice ice ice. My daughter suffers from them. PT and coaches only limited her running in that they didn't have her run stairs. We iced several times a day until they were under control. She has since become proactive-after an intense practice she ices and has not had any shin splits for a while now.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    a couple of things i have found that can help... one are your shoes fitted for you by a running store...sometimes you can unknowingly have a turn to your foot as you land i think they call it pronating or overpronating they will check this and put you in the right stability of shoe. its about the shock absorbtion too but more so the stability in your gait (sp).. second stretch. sit in a chair put your feet straight out and write the alphabet with your toes in the air. do this two or three times a day and you will start to get some relief....ice and heat can help along with ibuprophen for swelling... if they are really bad you need to give your body a few days to heal. hard i know but you'll be thankful you did.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    shin splints are more common if you're running indoors, you should always wrap your shins firmly with ace bandages while running and especially after you injur them. Do not keep running. I was instructed that the splints are muscle pulling from the bone and you will make it worse. Good luck.
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walk around on your heels anytime you're doing errands around the office or at home. It will keep you nice and stretched. 4 to 5 times a day stretch them against a wall
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    ICE REST ICE REST ICE

Also. Sit down point your toes out and write the Alphabet in the air ( with your toes) 3x a day
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    RICE:

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

I was training for a marathon several years ago and was half way through a 10 miler. I got a HORRIBLE pain in my shin and hobbled home in tears. I found out that my SHOES were worn out, and they were a contributing factor to my shin splints. I was also over-training and not giving my body 2 days of rest from serious cardio. Here is what I did:

1) Took a week off from running
    2) Made sure to increase my potassium levels
    3) Bought new running shoes that fit my style (I roll my feet to the outside)
    4) Bought good running socks (I wear Thurlos)
    5) When I started to run again, I started back with quick walking, then jogging, then back to my normal pace

Shan
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    They have these foam rollers at my gym that I roll the front of my legs on..I watched a girl do it and waitied for her to leave and OMG was it amazing it was like a message...I loved it so much I bought a foam roller for my house!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Yes in track many years ago they iced my shins - which was torture in itself. I would also avoid running flat footed if you do. I don't have arches so that was a big and hard lesson learned. I only run on my toes and balls of my feet. When I changed my running style the shin splints never came back!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I found this the other day and I think it's a great resource since I tend to injure myself quite often on this journey:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/183.shtml#quads
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Run on a soft surface such as dirt...or even the treadmill. I found that pavement REALLY makes mine act up.