Im not really new but i have a question

Options
Hi i am sam and i wanted to know how far you guys run? i can run half a mile and i am tired.

Replies

• ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    Options
    don't worry ii'm tired as hell after about ten minutes, but with time we'll get stronger
  • Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Add a little more every day. When I started running again after about 5 years off I had to start from scratch. I would walk 5 min and run 1 or 2. Then I slowly reversed that until I was running 10 and walking 1 or 2 min. I did this over a 3.5 mile route. I took me about 3 weeks doing this 3 or 4 times per week to run the full distance. You will be sore but just have to run through the soreness.

Good luck.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That's right. Keep at it and you will improve. I used to run for less than a minute and get winded and/or hurt my ankle or something. And now my personal best is a bit over 6 miles and it felt amazing. Don't get discouraged. Go at the pace you're comfortable with, stick with it, and things will improve.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    when I started this journey I couldn't run more then about 10 minutes at 4.5 to 5 mph. Now 50 minutes and 5 miles is no problem at all. Can't wait till summer because the treadmill is very boring.
    As you lose weight and get more in shape your distance will increase. Try alternating between running and walking for 20 to 30 minutes, and before too long you'll be doing great.
    BTW I started at the end of October 2010, so it really doesn't take much time
    Hang in there
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I walk about 1.75 miles on the treadmill or will do about 2.5 miles on the arc trainer.
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I run until I need to walk some, and when my breathing gets more normal, I run again. I try and get about 3 miles in 3x a week, building up to more often and then longer, but it's hard. Just do what you can and before long you'll find that what seems impossible now will become your 'easy run' later. I know it seems unlikely, but, if it could happen to me (queen of the couch) I am sure you'll find it true for you!
  • Toaster88
    Options
    I'm in the "Hoping It Gets Better" Boat as well. I ride a bike 250mi a week, and die running a mile. Different muscles I guess.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a walker myself I probably run about 2 to 3 minutes before I feel like I'm about to die. I keep saying it will get better but I also suffer from severe Asthma so walking is probably my best bet!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    i've just started on the c25k programme (www.c25k.com) which is designed to gradually get you running continually and hopefully complete a 5k run.

It is a 9 week programme, week 1 is run for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds and repeat for 20 minutes. give it a go!!
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I'm up to 5 minutes with out stopping ... but then I have to walk/run the rest of my time. I'm working on it though
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k program is great i am on week 6. it lets you build up your distance at a rate that you wont hurt yourself... c25k... try it it's free.
  • paroxysm
    Options
    I more "jog" =) but I go about 5 miles before work everymorning and sometimes 7 or 8 on the weekends. It feels nice after the first 5 minutes pass and I get in a rhythm. When I first started I couldn't go longer than 90 seconds without feeling like I was going to die! Now It feels better than walking.

You'll get there- just keep going and think awesome thoughts like "GO!" "You are AWESOME" "This is fantastic!" "I CAN DO IT!" (Never ever use things like "almost done" or any defeating words...it's counterproductive!)

GOOD LUCK!!
  • patito_ps
    Options
    You should run as much as you can, do not compair to others, because that will do you no good.
    If in day one you could only run a mile, well in "day two" try to run a lil bit more....

And also, try to make it pleasant for you, try to avoid things that would keep you from running, for instance: get a MP3 (ipod shuffle if possible, it's tiny and light), put all the music you like, wear nice and confortable clothes (feel good and look good), buy a very good pair of running shoes.... etc... and the most important of all:

FIND YOUR RHYTHM AND ENJOY!!
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. When I first started running I was in the same boat. After a few years of practice, patience, diligence, and training I worked my way up to a marathon (26.2 miles) Just keep at it :-)
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just started. I walk 3 min, run 2 min for 20 minutes and it kicks my butt!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    :laugh: I can run a 12 min mile... ha ha ha BUT THATS IT ha ha ha