boneless chicken breast

Options
i want mashed potatoes, and veggies tonight, and we have chicken breast set out. anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare the chicken (without giving it a ton of sodium)? the boyfriend wants to use a packet of fajitas mix and make chicken fajitas, but i know that has a ton of sodium in it so im trying to come up with something else

Replies

• ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Look in my blog and use my taco seasoning. it has no salt in it. and is better than the packet stuff.

or you can rub it in EVOO and sprinkle some herbs on it and sear it in a saute pan on each side till golden and pop in the oven to finish cooking.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    slit it open down the side and stuff it with mozerella cheese and olives....yummmm, or coat it with something like french fried onions or a little shake n bake
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love to make my chicken with
    Curry powder
    Light brown sugar
    Some garlic powder
    Touch of salt on the breast itself
    Season with salt, little garlic and then curry. Pack on brown sugar and bake!
    Amaze :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    For future reference, I love Mrs. Dash Chicken seasoning (all the seasonings really). I put it on chicken, turkey, pork.

For tonight, you could use other spices like cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, coriander, etc and broil it.

You could slice it up and grill it with some onions and green pepper, a little EVOO.

Chicken packet in foil with some onion, garlic and pepper. Roasted garlic is really yummy with chicken too..hmm that's all I can think of, sorry!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How about just grilling it (outdoor or George Foreman) and serving with dijon mustard? That's about as low-cal as it gets, I think (and delicious, IMHO).
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've come to use other herbs, like dill, rosemary, etc. and hardly use salt at all. You could portion it out and use the seasoning for him and what you like for you if you want. good luck
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I also like to season with a little Nature's Seasoning and bake in honey!
    Honey chicken :)
    Hungry now!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    garlic, onions, and Ms. Dash and McCormick have tons of seasonings with no sodium. Also, there is a few salsas that you can layer over the chicken, that are low in sodium, Walmart has a peach pineapple chipotle that is awesome, and only has like 20 mg for 2 tbs.
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    Options
    Mrs Dash has chicken seasoning which is great there is also Mrs Dash fiesta lime seasoning which has a little bit of a taco seasoning taste with No sodium :)
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    Look in my blog and use my taco seasoning. it has no salt in it. and is better than the packet stuff.

or you can rub it in EVOO and sprinkle some herbs on it and sear it in a saute pan on each side till golden and pop in the oven to finish cooking.

whats your blog? can you post a link?
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    slit it open down the side and stuff it with mozerella cheese and olives....yummmm, or coat it with something like french fried onions or a little shake n bake
    oooh that sounds yummy! ill have to keep that in mind next time we go to the store! we dont have any moz. cheese or olives right now.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love chicken! For seasoning try picking up the Mrs. Dash No Salt collection of spices. LOVE them.

But, what I love is using a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) w/ thyme, rosemary and maybe a little fennel. Now these are best fresh and not in the jars but jars work just fine as I use them too. For fennel what I do is cut the leaves and bulb (like an onion) and cook like that; don't use the fennel seeds as I personally think it is too overpowering.

You can use Pam Olive Oil cooking spray or a little EVOO in the pan. Fry it just a little til browned then finish off baking. Maybe 350 for about 25 min depending on size of chicken breasts!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Roast or bake it and then shred it up for chicken salad later!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm having Oven-Fried Parmesan Chicken:

1 egg, lightly beaten
    2 tbsp. low-fat milk
    1/3 cup Parmesan
    1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/8 tsp blk pepper
    2.5 pds boneless (skinless preferred) chicken breast
    Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375. Combine egg and milk in 1 dish, Combine Parmesan, breadcrumbs and spices in another dish. Dip chicken pcs in egg/milk and then Parmesan mixture. Place chicken in nonstick cooking spray covered pan, making sure the pcs don't touch. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. No need to turn this chicken while baking.

Seriously delicious and so easy!

Nutritional Info: Cal 219, Total Fat 9g, Cholesterol 116 mg, Protein 28g, Carbs 5g, Fiber 1 g, Sodium 195 mg
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love to make my chicken with
    Curry powder
    Light brown sugar
    Some garlic powder
    Touch of salt on the breast itself
    Season with salt, little garlic and then curry. Pack on brown sugar and bake!
    Amaze :)
    [/quote
    I am gonna try this this week! Thanks!]
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Chef Jenn Homemade Taco Seasoning ( cut out the sodium)
    ok so I make all my own spices at home. I dont buy anything in a packet from the store. I also do not buy sauces in a jar I make them at home as well. Along with mayo, dipping sauces, dressings , etc..
    This helps so you know what your putting in your body and two you learn new things and can experitment with new ideas and create your own spin on things

Chef Jenn Homemade Taco (Hot N Spicy) Seasoning ( great on beef & chicken)

1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. ground ceyenne red pepper
    1/2 tsp.paprika
    2 dashes of ground pepper
    1 dash of oregano
    1 dash of brown sugar

mix with 1/3 cup water and on low heat mix in with 1lb of ground meat
    if mixing with chicken Do not add the water, just sprinkle of the chicken while cooking it

( it has a good kick to it & u can add another 1/4 tsp of cumin to really heat it up)
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    *bump* Really good ideas!
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love Enchilada Chicken! Here is the Recipe:

Ingredients:

4 (4-ounce) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 teaspoons salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle)
    Olive oil spray
    4 tablespoons medium, mild, or hot enchilada sauce
    2 ounces (1 cup) finely shredded Cabot's 75% Light Cheddar Cheese
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Season each chicken breast evenly on all sides with the seasoning. Place a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over high heat. When hot, lightly mist with the olive oil spray and add the chicken. Cook, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or just until the chicken is golden brown on the outside.

Remove the pan from the heat and top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of the enchilada sauce, followed by one-fourth of the cheese and one-fourth of the cilantro. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 162 calories, 31 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 71 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 230 mg sodium, WW Points 3
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Great recipes!
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I second everyone that has suggested Mrs. Dash. Those seasonings have been a huge sodium saver for me! I use them on EVERYTHING - pork, beef, chicken, fish, AND veggies (great on baked potatoes, even). I buy a different flavor every week at the grocery and I am slowly building my sodium-free arsenal.