Delicious Mac & Cheese!!

Options
Healthyby30
Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
This is a Paula Deen recipe I tweaked. I love her but OMG her cooking is so hearty and fattening! lol So, anyway I figured since I constantly am changing RR recipes, why not her? I also did not cook it in the slow cooker b/c I didn't have time before dinner! This is YUMMY! By the way, yes I know velveeta is processed but I don't care, I have yet to find a creamier mac & cheese that is halfway decent for you and its one of my FAVS!

The original recipe is here: http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/creamy_macaroni_and_cheese/

My recipe is as follows:

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
2 Tbsp Olivio Light - or something similar
1/2 cup nonfat, plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup 1% small curd cottage cheese
2 cups 2% Velveeta, cubed
2 cups whole grain elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350, grease an 8x8" pan with cooking spray.

In microwave or stovetop on medium heat (really watch it on the stove as it WILL burn if you stop stirring) melt Velveeta and Olivio. If using microwave, melt in increments of 25 seconds or so and stir in between to avoid burning. To this add milk, mustard, pepper, yogurt, cottage cheese and macaroni. Mix together and pour in greased pan. Top with panko crumbs and spray top with cooking spray (so they will brown in oven).

Cook for 35 min, enjoy!

Makes approx. 12 - 1/3 cup servings

Per Serving
Cals 164, Carbs 21, Fat 5, Protein 12, Fiber 2, Sodium 448

Replies

• 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Love Mac and Cheese -- I will have to try it. Thanks.
  • MotorMowth
    Options
    Do you individually input all of the ingredients to find out the calories? I'm so excited to try it out!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good *kitten* far as the calories go though, even though I don't eat pasta it is still a healthier version I could give my family, thank you!
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Do you individually input all of the ingredients to find out the calories? I'm so excited to try it out!

I use the recipe calculator under the Food tab.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Mac & Cheese, I'll have to give this one a go sometime.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    bump
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have soo been craving mac and cheese! can't wait to try it
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    awesome twist on this.. Paula is a great chef but her food is super fatten!!
    She has two restaurants about 3 hrs from my house in South GA on the coast and my dad has been there and he said it was awesome but he was so yuck feeling from eating it all..

I have her cook books and her sons.

~CHEF JENN~
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    ill have to try this i will be having company so its cheap and easy to make.thanx
  • megpiemac12
    Options
    bump for later thanks!!!
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish, and my kids would like it too! How much is a serving size, or rather how many does this recipe serve?
  • MotorMowth
    Options
    You make me smarter every day. :-)
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    yum. sounds delish!
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thank you!!!
  • basalmouse
    Options
    :laugh: mmmmmmmmmmmm sound soooooo good!!! Thank you and congrats on your weight loss so far
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    :laugh: mmmmmmmmmmmm sound soooooo good!!! Thank you and congrats on your weight loss so far

Ty :)
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Sounds delish, and my kids would like it too! How much is a serving size, or rather how many does this recipe serve?

It's just above where the calories are posted, but it makes 12, 1/3 cup portions!
  • simplywriting
    Options
    This looks really good! I will have to try this. I have cut out pasta while I am actively still losing weight but my family LOVES mac and cheese and I like this recipe ... much healthier. And I don't buy boxes LOL So this is awesome.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Wanted to add, I edited the recipe to 2 cups Velveeta and 1/2 cup cottage cheese from 1 1/4 cup velveeta and 1 cup cottage cheese b/c I didn't think it was cheesy enough (for those of you who saw it when I first posted) It only added 20 calories and 1 gram of fat with the change, but I did edit it so what the recipe states now includes the change!
  • lexis0911
    Options
    sounds delish!! i love me some mac and cheese!! :)