Water

Options
Hi everyone,

Last week I realized I was hardly drinking any water, and since Sunday i have been making a conscious effort to make sure i get at least my daily requirements in . I have been drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day & eating properly.

The only problem is since then i have gained about 2-3 pounds! I'm not sure if this is purely down to water retention as my body is not used to this amount of water or the fact that for some reason i actually have gained 2 pounds.
It might also have something to do with my period expected to start next week as well.
Either way this is very discouraging.

I was just wondering if anyone knows about what your body goes through when you increase your water intake or if anyone has any encouragement/advice.

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It's probably just b/c of your period. You won't gain weight simply from drinking more water. It helps flush things out and the more you drink the less your body retains. Just keep drinking lots of water!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Last week I realized I was hardly drinking any water, and since Sunday i have been making a conscious effort to make sure i get at least my daily requirements in . I have been drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day & eating properly.

The only problem is since then i have gained about 2-3 pounds! I'm not sure if this is purely down to water retention as my body is not used to this amount of water or the fact that for some reason i actually have gained 2 pounds.
    It might also have something to do with my period expected to start next week as well.
    Either way this is very discouraging.

I was just wondering if anyone knows about what your body goes through when you increase your water intake or if anyone has any encouragement/advice.
    It could be both. Once your body adjusts to the new amount of water, you will shed it off quickly. I had the same thing happen last week and I realized it was a combination of adding more water and eating pickles. The two had me up a few pounds but I knew it was from the water because my feet and legs were quite swollen. It's passed in about 4-5 days and I'm actually down more than before the pickle fiasco :)
    Don't give up and don't quite drinking the water. Water helps to flush (among other things) fat from our bodies so keep it up!
  • ktalyse
    Options
    The first time I started drinking a gallon of water I felt that my weight went up, but then it took me only a week or two to lose 10 pounds - which I believe to be due to water weight. Keep it up, I bet you'll see really good results after your cycle passes.

Good luck!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It also takes more than just a few days for your body to adjust to having the extra water. It's so worth it though!!! I've been drinking between 10-14 glasses a day now for a few months and my skin has never looked better, I have more energy, and I've lost weight!!!

Keep it up... it's worth it!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    cut your sodium intake and see if this helps.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I gain like 3-5 pounds around my period in water weight and from bloating. I end up losing it within 1-2 days when I start my next birth control month. It happens like clockwork so that might be it. Plus, if you are eating salty food
    (like Chinese or junk food), that makes me gain weight too and I will lose like 2 pounds overnight when my body gets readjusted. Funny enough, the junk food cravings come during my period so it is a double whammy. I just try not to deprive myself but not eat too much of it either. Hope that helps. :)
  • GoldLion
    Options
    Thanks guys! All this really helps me keep motivated! <3