Heart Rate Monitors and Chest Straps??

Options
I am thinking of getting a Heart Rate Monitor and wanted to find out what everyone was using. I don't have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the exercise log in MFP and know there can be quite a bit of variation. I am hesitant to eat ALL of my exercise calories because I sometimes think the number seems way to high.

So, what are you using? Do you have a chest strap? What is a chest strap- is it wireless or will it be obvious that I have one on while working out at the gym or in one of my group fitness classes. I know they can be expensive and I just want something that really works and therefore will be worth the money. I am serious this time about wanting to do it the right way.

Thanks in advance for your feedback :smile:

Replies

• tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in these answers. I've been researching some and have it narrowed down to the Polar Ft7 or a Timex. Losts of folks on here swear by the Polar but I've been reading some negative reviews on it and am now confused.
  • frogget4
    Options
    I recommend a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. They are wireless so people at the gym can't tell you are wearing one and they give you a continuous heart rate reading. They can be a little expensive. I recommend the new balance brand. I got mine at Target for $60.
  • Aitenev
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It was about $90.00. It does have a chest strap and I don't think anyone would notice that you have it on unless you are wearing a tight shirt. I always wear a t-shirt and I don't think it's visible at all. I've heard a lot of people say that the calories burned that they get on MFP are higher then their HRM but in my case, they are REALLY close (like within 10-20 calories.)
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The one I have straps right below the boobs under your clothes lol.... if I were a man you've be able to see it ;)

I'd get one that has a strap, this one also has a watch that shows calories burned, duration of work out etc... I got it from ****'s Sporting Goods and it was a little over $100. The name on the stuff is "Polar" Works very well! Those that are only a watch do not work as well.

Hope this helps :)

PS. they have them for men or for women and some are unisex, watch for that as well.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It was about $90.00. It does have a chest strap and I don't think anyone would notice that you have it on unless you are wearing a tight shirt. I always wear a t-shirt and I don't think it's visible at all. I've heard a lot of people say that the calories burned that they get on MFP are higher then their HRM but in my case, they are REALLY close (like within 10-20 calories.)

Thanks for the information. Do you like your Polar FT7? Have you had it long? The chest strap comes with it, right?
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 (i think). It does have a chest strap and I love it!
  • glasielady
    glasielady Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi

I use Sportline which I purchased at Walmart for $47. There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones out there but I find this one works for me quite well. It comes with a strap which goes around the chest and it can't been seen under clothing (no wires attached). You can also use it without the strap and just use the touch; however, when you use the touch it uses the last heart rate it recorded the last time you touched it no matter how high your heart rate goes while you're exercising, unless you touch it often the calories burned will be off.

Since using the HRM I tend to push myself more. I'll set a certain number of calories I want to burn and I'll push myself to burn them. I take a spinning class and my goal in that class is to burn 500 calories in a 45 minute time frame.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • Aitenev
    Options

Thanks for the information. Do you like your Polar FT7? Have you had it long? The chest strap comes with it, right?

I've had it about 3 months. Yes, I love it and yes the strap comes with it. It was definitely worth the money for me.
  • saeverman
    Options
    Are there any that are water proof or water resistant to a certain meter?
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a Bowflex and it crapped out on me after about 5 months of use. I got it on clearance so the price wasn't to bad.

I've heard nothing but great things about Polar. I bought a Polar FT7 a few days ago and I love it. IMO the chest strap is less noticeable than my Bowflex chest strap and more comfortable. A little pricey, but definitely worth it.
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    Timex Ironman w/Chest strap; absolutely love it.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Another Polar FT7 user here. Love it. Chest strap is so comfortable.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and the strap isn't visible at all. I wear two tshirts so that may be why. I love mine. From what I've read, it can survive in the sauna if that's any indication of how well it's built. I haven't tried it in the sauna myself though.

I haven't had any issues with mine at all.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be solid, I've had an FT7 for a couple of months now (5 maybe?). I love the flowlink and syncing it with the polar website. It is water proof as well, I've used it swimming laps before.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've had a Nike for about 4 years. It is waterproof for swimming, but I haven't used it that way. Found that MFP is very close to what my HRM gives me. I liked the look of the watch and that is why I got this one. I wear the watch every day and it still lasts. I have replaced the battery in both the strap and the watch once. Nobody notices the strap when I am wearing it.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Had a Sportline crap... Now have a Polar FT7... Love it and the chest strap is light and comfy like u dont even have it on ..My cal difference just checked today actully and on my HRM was 405 and on MFP was like 628 crazy difference.. Strap comes with...Have fun
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be solid, I've had an FT7 for a couple of months now (5 maybe?). I love the flowlink and syncing it with the polar website. It is water proof as well, I've used it swimming laps before.

Where can u buy the flowlink?:ohwell:
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a PT4 and I love it! You can't see it at all since I have a chest, and most of the time I forget I'm even wearing it. If I HAD to say something negative it would just be that you have to wet the strap before putting it on, but it's really not that big of a deal. It really motivates me to see where my heart rate is and how many calories I have really burned. I got it brand new on Amazon for $65 and it was worth every penny.
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. Easiest thing to use and set up. The chest strap is unnoticeable and it really helps when I walk at work, MFP underestimated what I did for walking and overestimated what I did for Turbo Jam.