Day of Rest?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to MFP and don't really follow a "work out routine" as such. I've been dappling with P90X (mainly cardio, plyo & kenpo), am on Day5 Level1 of the 30 Day Shred and go to Anytime Fitness. I also have Wii Fit Plus and Zumba for the Wii. I've been trying to stick to the 30 day shred daily, and then doing one or two of the others for an additional work out. I've been pretty tired lately, and am tempted to take a day off from working out, but am worried I'll fall off the exercise train and/or go over my calories. So I was just looking for a general opinion from the crowd: Do you guys work out faithfully 7 days a week, or take one rest day a week?

Thanks,
Steph

Replies

• Tadil
    Tadil Posts: 1
    Options
    Rest! Gotta give your body time to recover. I take Sunday off.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week and Mondays are my day of rest. I do heavy strength on Sunday so my muscles rest on Monday.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I do not work out everyday of the week I may do 3 to 5 days of the week depending. I work full time and have dinner and stuff to do at home for the kids and husband so I workout when there is time only.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I typically take Saturday or Sunday off. It just depends. I go to adventure boot camp 5x a week right now M-F, and then also do cardio 2x per week, but as of next week, will be doing only MWF at boot camp and then doing cardio the other two days.

You won't go over your calories if you are faithfully and accurately recording what you eat in your food diary. Watch what you eat. Learn to spread out your meals so you're eating more often and don't feel so hungry and then you'll be fine!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    i think its good for you to have a rest day to let your body recover from your workout I currently have 1-2 days off a week and try not to have the 2 days off in a row my husband is due to start a job away from home and I considered having friday and sat off but have changed my mind and am squeezing a workout in on the friday cos like you I do feel if I take 2 days in row then I wont get back into it x
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's highly recommended that you give your body a rest day or two. Though, some people don't. I take one when I feel like I need one, so I'll have random days of rest in-between routines.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the 30 day shred and haven't missed a day... but thinking I would need a rest day?? Not sure.. curious what others say?? :smile:
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You need a rest day. I go to the gym Monday and Tuesday for weights, Wednesday I do a spin class and a Yoga DVD for stretching. And I often times throw in the 30 Day Shred DVD at night or play soccer with my kids. By the time Thursday rolls around I'm pretty tired. I may do some light activity but if I tried to do weights I wouldn't be giving it my best. Not to mention your muscles need to restore themselves. I'll be back at it Friday with new energy, and I don't get to the gym too often on weekends but try to do something outside.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If your body tells you to rest, then rest.
  • kaymac1908
    kaymac1908 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Rest is VERY important!!! Your body needs time to recover and to build up its resources for more challenging workouts. However, you should be careful of your food intake on rest days. These are not the good days to slip.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Take a day!!! I just took yesterday off because I was beginning to feel a little run down. Today I was able to hit it pretty hard and still had energy left over!! (I'm going to save that up to have another big day tomorrow!!)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I typically take 2 rest days a week. Not 2 days in a row though.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Most trainers will tell you to take one day off a week for rest. Doesn't mean you have to be a total slug though, lol. I exercise really hard Monday thru Friday at the gym. I'll burn at least 450 cardio calories on machines like elliptical or treadmill then take two classes, one of which is usually aerobic and the other is strength. Saturday I will usually do a couple DVD's - right now I'm into Jillian Michaels Fat Blast/Metabolism Boost & the 30 day shred. Sunday I will do a Yoga or stretching DVD and take a long walk with the dogs. But sometimes I just skip that stuff too on Sunday - or whatever day my body tells me to take a break. If you find that you are not giving it the intensity you should, can't focus on what you're doing, any soreness is not going away overnight - its time to take a break.
  • whitelion82
    whitelion82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work with EA Sports Active on the Wii- they have a 30 Day Challenge- 2 days on, one day off... I usually do walking (for cardio) 5-6 days a week, too. I figure cardio everyday is ok, I mean, we USED to walk everywhere, right?
  • swheeler86
    swheeler86 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sometimes it's easier to hear what you already know when it's coming from somebody else. A day off it is!