Quinoa

Options
anyone ever eaten Quinoa? thoughts?

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love it!! It is different but its kind of like brown rice ( but much better).... There are alot of great recipes on here too!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I really like it too - very easy to prepare and you can add almost any vegetable to it or add fruits and nuts. YUM! It is great leftover too.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy for you. I mix frozen mixed vegetables with it.
    You can mix any vegetable in it if you like. It is full of fibre.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    yep I am a fan too, healthy tasty..... try it!
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I really like it and it goes well with veggie chili on top!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just tried it a few weeks ago and I love it! It's easy to cook and has a nice texture.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i have been looking for that every time i go shopping, i can never find it.... where is it usally located at in the grocery store?
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a super grain =] it's actually not even a grain, its a seed.
    it's the ONLY plant that has all the essential amino acids for human growth and is complete protein (like meat).

i like it a lot. you can do so many things with it =]

here is a great article about quinoa, it's what got me to try it for the first time:::
    http://caloriecount.about.com/quinoa-mother-all-grains-b472562

Enjoy :)
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    You can buy it in the health food part of grocery stores, like at Kroger. I've bought it there before. Or at Trader Joes. I love quinoa! I eat it in the morning with a little bit of regular, uncooked oatmeal, almonds, and cranberries or blueberries. Yummo!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    i have been looking for that every time i go shopping, i can never find it.... where is it usally located at in the grocery store?

Actually, I could not find it at my grocery store. I found it at a bulk foods store, pretty cheap too:smile:
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've tried it too and I love it. I saw it in the international food isle at meijer (my favorite isle) and figured why not try it. I got the Mediterranean blend that had onions, raisins, and almonds in it. It was really good. I like that it has protein in it. I'm pretty poor (Just out of college) so something that has protein and makes a lot of food is a good deal for me. Plus it looks pretty versatile thing that can go into lots of different recipes.
  • IzLuMomma
    IzLuMomma Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's AMAZING! Just ate some this afternoon! Has a "nutty" flavor and is very universal. I made it as a cold salad with lots of chopped fresh veggies and a little EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar. Go for it!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff. We cook with with veggie or chicken broth to add a little flavor. Also, saute your favorite veggies and mix in. So good. Good luck with whatever you try.
    A
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Love it! Been eating it for years...and as I'm a vegetarian it's one of my favorite sources for protein.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've had it a couple times and like it. I'm thinking about incorporating it into my breakfast routine
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a super grain =] it's actually not even a grain, its a seed.
    it's the ONLY plant that has all the essential amino acids for human growth and is complete protein (like meat).

i like it a lot. you can do so many things with it =]

here is a great article about quinoa, it's what got me to try it for the first time:::
    http://caloriecount.about.com/quinoa-mother-all-grains-b472562

Enjoy :)

Awesome article ,thanks!!!
  • BeatTheBattle
    Options
    Quinoa is a really versatile ingredient. I started swapping out rice for quinoa when making biryani and other rice based dishes. Very easy to cook too. I think its other benefits have been spoken about already!
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Quinoa is AMAZING and a life saver whilst trying to follow a paleo diet. I am a convert. I have it instead of rice or pasta or cous cous. much better for you!