New mom

Options
Hi, I am a new mom trying to loose some weight. I am 3 pounds shy of the weight I was before getting pregnant. But I was bigger than I would have liked to be then. I was wondering if anyone knew if breastfeeding was counted anywhere on the site. I can't eat too few calories since I am nursing my son. But I want to loose weight. I need to get out and get exercising for sure!

Replies

• NorasNana
    NorasNana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that's a great idea for other types of calorie burning to be added to this site. Maybe the admins will add an "OTHER" data base. If you do find the answer to how many minutes of nursing burns how many minutes of calories expended, you should definitely add it yourself to that data base. (I was sort of wondering about sex too. it's not in the data base, and I know there are different degrees of strenuous, but I think we should get to count that as calorie burning. not trying to be funny - totally serious!). Anyway, good luck on your obtaining your goal, and CONGRATS on that beautiful little baby! So sweet!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    The average calories given to the baby while nursing is 400-500 calories a day. You can add this to you exercise database and count it towards exercise to get those extra calories back.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome, and congrats on your beautiful baby. How old is he?

I add "breastfeeding mom" to my food journal and it automatically gives me 500 "negative" calories for the day. You can also manually edit your calorie goals in your profile. The number of calories you actually need is going to vary, but 500 has worked well for me. HTH!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    2 ways to enter breastfeeding on this site.

1) you can log it under food and it will add negative calories canceling out food you entered. It asks for it by oz though so you will have to estimate how much you think your baby is eating
    2) you can log it under exercise and it will add exercise calories, upping your total allotment for the day